Peanut For a Month

OW4Rtcw.jpg

Here's what mine is doing today. We are installing some peel and stick vinyl flooring in the entry way of my wife's store. The peanut is opening boxes and trimming the paper along the sidea of the planks so I can fit them before peeling. The Stanley is scoring the planks so I can just snap them to length like drywall. Just tru-sharp and what ever the razor blades are made of is good enough for me. ;)

That's one thing I have to hand to ya Mike; you really use the peanut and make it earn it's keep!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hope it works out.
I did this before with a penut-ish imperial I won from fishcakes. ( More of a mini serpentine jack than actual peanut )
Not an experiment, but when I get a new knife I usually carry it for a whole month to really get a feel for it.
I may not carry just that knife by itself, but unless theres other new knives it will do the majority of my cutting for that month.

The little imperial was a joy to carry and I believe sparked my love of small knives, the little ones are just such a joy when they're carried and a nice change of pace from my larger blades.

@5K Qs

Gary I've seen people hold a knife in all sorts of ways, no doubt that has something to do with it. A knife that feels too small for me and might be perfect for another. I have a custom Peanut Mike Alsdorf built for me some years ago in MOP. It's a real beauty but I can count on one hand the times I've carried it.

@5K Qs

Gary I've seen people hold a knife in all sorts of ways, no doubt that has something to do with it. A knife that feels too small for me and might be perfect for another. I have a custom Peanut Mike Alsdorf built for me some years ago in MOP. It's a real beauty but I can count on one hand the times I've carried it.
You could use it as a Sunday go to meeting knife. ;)

This part of Randy's original post has had me thinking about how I grip a pocket knife. I use a number of grips, depending what task I'm trying to accomplish, but I don't think I EVER hold a knife the way Randy described (I hold a hammer that way though :rolleyes:). I wonder if there is a lot of grip variation from one person to the next, and one type of "cutting job" to the next. I once started a thread about how people open their traditional folders (https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/how-many-ways-do-you-open-a-slipjoint.1245274/ ) and was amazed by the number of methods used. Maybe the same is true for the grips we all use.

- GT
I usually use a pinch grip.

That's one thing I have to hand to ya Mike; you really use the peanut and make it earn it's keep!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
The peanut is a great tool. I use it as intended and don't try to abuse it. I hope to still be using it in 40 or 50 years. But it is not afraid to work. It really is more capable then most folks think. Thanks for all your wisdom when it comes to the small but mighty knives.

Last edited:
The peanut is a great tool. I use it as intended and don't try to abuse it. I hope to still be using it in 40 or 50 years. But it is not afraid to work. It really is more capable then most folks think. Thanks for all your wisdom when it comes to the small but mighty knives.

My old man used his peanut from just before WW2 to about 1977-78. Its was his only pocket knife for all that time except for the Christy knife he had tucked away sometimes. He retired the peanut after about 35 years of steady use and it was badly worn from 35 years of cutting and lord knows how many sharpening. Your's will be too and thats a good thing. Long after we're gone, your kids will look at that knife and say "Wow, remember when we gave this to dad? Look at how much he used it!" The blades worn down to half their width, the bone worn smooth from a lifetime of handling and pocket worry stone, maybe even a crack in the bone fixed with some crazy glue, will all be honorable badges of good use and priceless memories for your children. That you loved their gift so much that you used it up in the course of your life with them.

Look at how we see the pictures of very well used knives with blades sharpened down to toothpicks and we know that knife was someones highly valued daily companion for a very very long time. It gained soul in that time.

My old man used his peanut from just before WW2 to about 1977-78. Its was his only pocket knife for all that time except for the Christy knife he had tucked away sometimes. He retired the peanut after about 35 years of steady use and it was badly worn from 35 years of cutting and lord knows how many sharpening. Your's will be too and thats a good thing. Long after we're gone, your kids will look at that knife and say "Wow, remember when we gave this to dad? Look at how much he used it!" The blades worn down to half their width, the bone worn smooth from a lifetime of handling and pocket worry stone, maybe even a crack in the bone fixed with some crazy glue, will all be honorable badges of good use and priceless memories for your children. That you loved their gift so much that you used it up in the course of your life with them.

Look at how we see the pictures of very well used knives with blades sharpened down to toothpicks and we know that knife was someones highly valued daily companion for a very very long time. It gained soul in that time.
Thats a very nice thought. I most times will tune up the edge while watching a show. The kids see this. They always like to come to me to have their pencils sharpened or cut this and that. All memories they will have of how I used and loved the little knife they proudly presented to me that Christmas day.

I have always wondered what some of the Porch members are actually doing with their knives when I hear things like: "That knife is too small" or "I need a knife that has a better grip" or "I need a super steel" or many such things. Want is one thing, but "need" is quite another. I tend to believe that some of it is a hold-over from their foray into the modern knife mentality where everything is compared on steel choice, tactical size, durability, and ergonomics. I much prefer a small knife that is invisible until I need it to cut something, usually a small something.

Since you are wondering, what I am doing is cutting, collecting chasing after, and just enjoying my love for knives. And yes this little knife is a bit cumbersome in hand like I posted earlier the reason is my grip and I might have to modify it. As far as need and want I think if we are to think in these terms then only one knife is needed. As far as knife size if a knife is uncomfortable in hand then IMO you need another size kinda like a pair of shoes as for grip if a knife tends to slip in use then IMO you need a better grip kinda like the tires on your car. Since I am a traditional knife collector I don't think I have "a hold-over from their foray into the modern knife mentality" As far as moderns that's an individual's preference and their right to set whatever criteria they want for deciding on a knife. As you say you prefer a smaller knife that's certainly your right and you should simply like what you like.

First picture is a good representation of the things I cut As well as what the Peanut did this morning with the pen blade
The second is my grip on a sleeveboard.
The third is my grip on a peanut.

Z1UqfwX.jpg

YZPVfNL.jpg

kQkRNeL.jpg

Since you are wondering, what I am doing is cutting, collecting chasing after, and just enjoying my love for knives.
Yes, that was my point. I like a variety of knives too. I won't discount a knife because it doesn't have a super steel or hate a knife that is too big for my watch pocket or too small to grip well. I have my preferences but I like 'em all, and also have a variety styles and sizes. True Knife Knuts.

Last edited:
Since you are wondering, what I am doing is cutting, collecting chasing after, and just enjoying my love for knives. And yes this little knife is a bit cumbersome in hand like I posted earlier the reason is my grip and I might have to modify it. As far as need and want I think if we are to think in these terms then only one knife is needed. As far as knife size if a knife is uncomfortable in hand then IMO you need another size kinda like a pair of shoes as for grip if a knife tends to slip in use then IMO you need a better grip kinda like the tires on your car. Since I am a traditional knife collector I don't think I have "a hold-over from their foray into the modern knife mentality" As far as moderns that's an individual's preference and their right to set whatever criteria they want for deciding on a knife. As you say you prefer a smaller knife that's certainly your right and you should simply like what you like.

First picture is a good representation of the things I cut As well as what the Peanut did this morning with the pen blade
The second is my grip on a sleeveboard.
The third is my grip on a peanut.

Z1UqfwX.jpg

YZPVfNL.jpg

kQkRNeL.jpg
I grip mine like that but with my index finger under the kick.
TpAxdRg.jpg

I use a pinch grip alot as well. Its comfortable for me anyway. I can understand where it might not be for others. Hope the peanut works well for you.

Last edited:

This one touched me. I love my kids. They ask for my knife for pencils, tags, this and that. I superglued the bone on my peanut after dropping it, good as new.

This one touched me. I love my kids. They ask for my knife for pencils, tags, this and that. I superglued the bone on my peanut after dropping it, good as new.
I know exactly what you mean. And it's memories they will have forever. I have a lot of knife memories with my grandpa. He showed me how to safely use a pocket knife. We would whittle a little when we had a chance. He carried a small Stockman probably around 3 or 3 1/4 closed and was a farmer all his life other then his army service in ww2. He kept a buck sheath knife in the truck for the times he might need a bigger knife. He also put his demo knife he was issued to work. It was his calf working knife when it came time to make steers. It stayed in a metal bucket with all the other instruments we used for working cattle. Just a few of the knife related memories I have of him.

I know exactly what you mean. And it's memories they will have forever. I have a lot of knife memories with my grandpa. He showed me how to safely use a pocket knife. We would whittle a little when we had a chance. He carried a small Stockman probably around 3 or 3 1/4 closed and was a farmer all his life other then his army service in ww2. He kept a buck sheath knife in the truck for the times he might need a bigger knife. He also put his demo knife he was issued to work. It was his calf working knife when it came time to make steers. It stayed in a metal bucket with all the other instruments we used for working cattle. Just a few of the knife related memories I have of him.
Great memories.

The internet can be a tricky place to navigate. Sometimes what you write can be interpreted in different ways. Apparently I upset Randy and I want you all to know that wasn't my intention and for that I am deeply sorry. My original intent was to say that a Peanut can be a fine choice and a knife doesn't have to fit a certain criteria to be truly useful. Once again, I apologize.

Great memories.
They are some of my favorite memories. We just hung out. In the summer time he would come get me in the mornings and we would work. During school he would come over and we would feed the cows and what other farm stuff needed doing. It was great times. When I wasn't with grandpa I was making memories with my dad.

They are some of my favorite memories. We just hung out. In the summer time he would come get me in the mornings and we would work. During school he would come over and we would feed the cows and what other farm stuff needed doing. It was great times. When I wasn't with grandpa I was making memories with my dad.

Grandfathers can be a very special person. I think I was closer to my my granddad all through my childhood and adolescence than I was with my dad. Dad was gone a good deal of my childhood, and I was like 5 years old before I even met him. He'd been gone off to the war when I was born, and didn't come home until the year after the war ended. Even then, he'd disappear for a month at a time very often. All that time I lived with the grandparents down on the Eastern shore of Maryland, where granddad was a working waterman. I think that an early age, I actually thought granddad was my dad. Granddad was the one who had me shoot the first .22 rounds, learn to fish for Bluefish and Rockfish, stear the boat, and other stuff.

Granddads are special people.

Grandfathers can be a very special person. I think I was closer to my my granddad all through my childhood and adolescence than I was with my dad. Dad was gone a good deal of my childhood, and I was like 5 years old before I even met him. He'd been gone off to the war when I was born, and didn't come home until the year after the war ended. Even then, he'd disappear for a month at a time very often. All that time I lived with the grandparents down on the Eastern shore of Maryland, where granddad was a working waterman. I think that an early age, I actually thought granddad was my dad. Granddad was the one who had me shoot the first .22 rounds, learn to fish for Bluefish and Rockfish, stear the boat, and other stuff.

Granddads are special people.
Very true. My dad and grandpa both have had a huge impression on my life. I'm blessed to still have my dad and enjoy helping him from time to time. I think he comes up with stuff he needs help with so he can see me more. :) That's ok though. I enjoy it and i bring the kids along of coarse.

Back