Peanut For a Month

Okay tomorrow will be 10 days of carrying this little knife and I must say it's abilities have surprised me. I must admit unless something really unusual were to arise the Peanut is perfectly capable of handling everything I use a pocketknife for and even more. I also suspect it's all that most knife knutz really need.
I have modified my grip so I'm not uneasy about bearing down on it but it still is not a knife I could carry everyday but I sure could on some days and it will go into my "pick a knife to carry" box.
The big thing is the edge has driven me crazy since I took the knife out of the box. I wanted to experience the knife as received with the factory edge. It came sharp enough to cut paper but not sharp enough to shave arm hair. So I've actually used it more than I normally would to try to dull it. Well today I just couldn't stand it any longer so she got sharpened and oiled so maybe I'll enjoy it a little more.

GETTING READY FOR A TRIM
JmnLHnB.jpg

SHARP ENOUGH TO SHAVE
rNp7qkf.jpg

You're making good progress, Randy!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Total immersion takes a leap of faith, and it can be hard to do. I did it but it took a while for me to take the leap and leave home in the morning without my stockman that Had carried for so long. But I took the example of not just my dad, but most the men of that 1950's era that carried a small two blade jack or pen as their everyday knife. They never knew they were under knifed, so they got by very well with them.

Of course, it does depend a lot, on where you live. A rural farmer may need more of a pocket knife than a city guy who works in an office. I've found a peanut class knife to be good for the modern American suburban jungle. UPS boxes, plastic blister packages, twine, food wrappers, opening mail, and light whittling are the peanuts home turf. With a little care it can handle fishing jobs, and small game, but a small fixed blade is always better.

But the peanut makes such an great pocket worry stone!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

You're making good progress, Randy!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Total immersion takes a leap of faith, and it can be hard to do. I did it but it took a while for me to take the leap and leave home in the morning without my stockman that Had carried for so long. But I took the example of not just my dad, but most the men of that 1950's era that carried a small two blade jack or pen as their everyday knife. They never knew they were under knifed, so they got by very well with them.

Of course, it does depend a lot, on where you live. A rural farmer may need more of a pocket knife than a city guy who works in an office. I've found a peanut class knife to be good for the modern American suburban jungle. UPS boxes, plastic blister packages, twine, food wrappers, opening mail, and light whittling are the peanuts home turf. With a little care it can handle fishing jobs, and small game, but a small fixed blade is always better.

But the peanut makes such an great pocket worry stone!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I totally agree the Peanut is a great little knife the only problem I have is it just seems to small in hand and I think I prefer a little larger knife.
I bought a Case Harvest Orange Pocket Worn medium stockman when I bought the peanut. I intend to carry it for a month when I finish with the peanut. I will say up front I prefer the size of the stockman.

IW9mzpY.jpg

The peanut is a little small for me too, Randy. But I carried knives that size for decades. Carried this small stockman for years:
31806010707_7891e1fbc5_h.jpg

It was a souvenir from a trip to Silver Dollar City in 1993. I've also carried a small two-blade pen knife, a small Gerber lockback, and a small Victorinox Classic (maybe two or three of them), each for several years at a time. But now I find I like something a little larger, preferably 3 1/2 to 4 inches long. Love especially one, two, & three blade knives. The medium stockman you got is a perfect size.

Okay tomorrow will be 10 days of carrying this little knife and I must say it's abilities have surprised me. I must admit unless something really unusual were to arise the Peanut is perfectly capable of handling everything I use a pocketknife for and even more. I also suspect it's all that most knife knutz really need.
I have modified my grip so I'm not uneasy about bearing down on it but it still is not a knife I could carry everyday but I sure could on some days and it will go into my "pick a knife to carry" box.
The big thing is the edge has driven me crazy since I took the knife out of the box. I wanted to experience the knife as received with the factory edge. It came sharp enough to cut paper but not sharp enough to shave arm hair. So I've actually used it more than I normally would to try to dull it. Well today I just couldn't stand it any longer so she got sharpened and oiled so maybe I'll enjoy it a little more.

GETTING READY FOR A TRIM
JmnLHnB.jpg

SHARP ENOUGH TO SHAVE
rNp7qkf.jpg
I'm glad you are enjoying your peanut. It can handle a lot more then one thinks. I can understand if a larger knife is more comfortable. I am anxious to see your thoughts on the Stockman.

I've been carrying a Camillus #21 for the past 6 months and can't see it leaving my pocket any time soon :D

I believe it's in Missouri near the Arkansas border, near Branson. Some episodes of the Beverly Hillbillies were filmed there.

The one I remembered was a theme park in Pigeon Forge, TN I took my kids there back in the early 80's a few times. Dolly Parton who was born and raised just down the road in Sevierville,TN bought it and turned it into Dollywood
There is an old Silver Dollar City brochure here
This is an article on Dolly buying it and turning it into Dollywood here

And there was a camp ground right next door.. Camped there in either 1981 or 82.. Was riding a Harley at the time.. And had a BUCK 112 on the belt too!!:cool:
John

And there was a camp ground right next door.. Camped there in either 1981 or 82.. Was riding a Harley at the time.. And had a BUCK 112 on the belt too!!:cool:
John

Were you from that area John?

The one I remembered was a theme park in Pigeon Forge, TN I took my kids there back in the early 80's a few times. Dolly Parton who was born and raised just down the road in Sevierville,TN bought it and turned it into Dollywood
They are related. There is a big cave at the one in Missouri. Just read that they started the theme park in 1960, and started charging admission in 1968. Hillbillies episodes were filmed there during the 1969-1970 season, but they treated it as a real town in the tv show. The owners bought the theme park in Tennessee in 1976 renaming it "Silver Dollar City Tennessee". They later partnered with Parton and renamed it. I'm sure Dolly Parton performed often in Branson, like all the other country stars.
Took my kids to the one in Branson when they were young on the way to St Louis. Also stopped at an amusement park in Arkansas called "Dogpatch". I think it closed soon after.
Anyway, the knife I bought at Silver Dollar City was made by McCoy Knives. The tang stamp says "Mt Ida, Arkansas". Never seen them anywhere else. Only paid about $20. Small stockman under 3".

Last edited:
Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg are totally tourist destination towns. Tons of shops, tourist attractions live music shows and hotels. When my kids were growing up we spent a lot of weekends there it was just an hour and a half from the house shopping for my wife, money traps for the kids trout fishing for dad with an all day binge at Dollywood on Sunday then a mad dash back home for the Monday morning reality check of work and school. I sure left a lot of money in those two towns over the years. :eek::eek:

When I was a kid we used to vacation in the Pigeon Forge / Gatlinburg area fairly often. Family had a vacation home back up in one of the valleys near Pigeon Forge, and we usually had dibs on it for 2 weeks a year. I remember that theme park as the "Rebel Railroad" and then "Goldrush Junction."

That area was a LOT less developed then (60s and early 70s) and I have very fond memories of the area from those simpler times. Returning there as an adult (and especially in more recent years) has been depressing as it has changed so much from a quiet little country area with a few roadside amusements into what it is today.

On topic - I carried my little Pocket Worn Bermuda Green Case Peanut pretty much every day for about a year once. The area I was working didn't allow much but I could get away with the little Peanut without issue. I left a bigger knife or three out in the car, but it was amazing how much I could get done with that little knife.

I remember needing to cut down some heavy triple-corrugated cardboard with some accuracy - not for disposal but to create something, so I need the cuts straight and controlled. It amazed me by how well it zipped right through it, and the Tru-sharp edge was still in good shape afterwards.

I've sort of lost the hobbyist interest in pocket knives these days so I find myself just dropping a Vic alox Cadet in my pocket but I remember the days of the Peanut fondly.

Dolly is actually partners with the Hershends (sp?) that own the Silver Dollar City in Branson and then opened Silver Dollar City in Sevierville Tennessee. They partnered with Dolly in the early80.s and changed the name to Dollywood.

I'm on day 18 of carrying this Peanut exclusively and here are my observations so far.
1st The Peanut came from the factory not really sharp but usable. I think the average Joe would find the sharpness acceptable and just use it.
2nd The knife is very small in hand and I have to be aware of my grip when using the knife.
3rd The knife is capable of most all cutting task that 99% of us have.
4th The cover are Case's jigged Delrin and like all knives with those covers the knife is not slippery at all.
5th I've found the pen blade the most useful the clip is good for slicing but it's size requires multiple cuts on larger items such as a loaf of bread.
So final thoughts
For me the knife is a well made and useful however for me it's way too small for an only carry. It would be fine for me as long as I carried it as a second knife with a larger knife also in my pocket.
Lastly I am giving up yes I'm a whimp and not carrying this little guy another day by it's self. It's just to small for me even though I've not come up with a task it couldn't preform. So to all of our Peanut loving friends I get it I really do but it's like Toyota and Honda or Ford and Chevy all four are great vehicles but most folks will always prefer one over the other and I just prefer larger knives.
I had planed on doing a month with a Med. Stockman next but I think I'm just going to grab what catches my eye for awhile. :D

I'm on day 18 of carrying this Peanut exclusively and here are my observations so far.
1st The Peanut came from the factory not really sharp but usable. I think the average Joe would find the sharpness acceptable and just use it.
2nd The knife is very small in hand and I have to be aware of my grip when using the knife.
3rd The knife is capable of most all cutting task that 99% of us have.
4th The cover are Case's jigged Delrin and like all knives with those covers the knife is not slippery at all.
5th I've found the pen blade the most useful the clip is good for slicing but it's size requires multiple cuts on larger items such as a loaf of bread.
So final thoughts
For me the knife is a well made and useful however for me it's way too small for an only carry. It would be fine for me as long as I carried it as a second knife with a larger knife also in my pocket.
Lastly I am giving up yes I'm a whimp and not carrying this little guy another day by it's self. It's just to small for me even though I've not come up with a task it couldn't preform. So to all of our Peanut loving friends I get it I really do but it's like Toyota and Honda or Ford and Chevy all four are great vehicles but most folks will always prefer one over the other and I just prefer larger knives.
I had planed on doing a month with a Med. Stockman next but I think I'm just going to grab what catches my eye for awhile. :D
Good review. You are correct in preferences. You should carry what you like best. I prefer the peanut more because my kids gave it to me with the expectation that I would use the tar out of it and that is what I have done. My son still ask me on a regular basis if I still like the knife, lol, and I really do. I can't wait to see what catches your eye next.

I would like to add that the peanut has performed great for me. I am definitely a lover of the legume. It took a little bit to adapt to its smaller size but it proved its self to me to be a great edc knife and I have carried it every day since I got it.

Back