Peanut For a Month

I carried a single bladed grand daddy Barlow for about six months up until Christmas, and I missed having a small blade. Dug out my Buck, what's it called....um micro bantam I think. It's a 2 7/8", or so, little Lockback. Well, as much as I think I don't like small knives, that little thing was great for all kinds of stuff. And I used it a lot before I lost it, fell out of my pocket when I pulled out my keys, I guess. :(

A puny knife can do a lot, that I'll admit, but I'm happily back to carrying only one normal sized two blade knife. Give me a 3 5/8" (minimum, even bigger, is better) two blade Jack knife, and I'm a happy guy.

Randy, I don't think I would enjoy carrying a shrimpy ;) :D knife like that, as my only knife for long. But if I had to for whatever reason, I could and I would. that yellow delrin peanut does look like a great little knife. :)

Michael

P.S. Hiya TrapperMike TrapperMike

I have always wondered what some of the Porch members are actually doing with their knives when I hear things like: "That knife is too small" or "I need a knife that has a better grip" or "I need a super steel" or many such things. Want is one thing, but "need" is quite another. I tend to believe that some of it is a hold-over from their foray into the modern knife mentality where everything is compared on steel choice, tactical size, durability, and ergonomics. I much prefer a small knife that is invisible until I need it to cut something, usually a small something.

It's preference John. Yes, my GEC #73 is a bigger knife than a peanut, but bigger is relative. It's still much smaller than the knives I carried before, a Spyderco Military or Endura and a CRK Sebenza. Given that I find no difficulty in carrying it, why shouldn't I? If the choice is between carrying a smaller, more easily carried knife with an irritating three fingered grip or a slightly larger, but still easily carried knife that I actually enjoy using I'll take the larger knife every time. As a matter of fact that's what I choose to do every day.

That's exactly what I was trying to say. It comes down to "preference" rather than "need" for most of us.
I like to say, "I prefer a smaller knife", rather than saying "Big knives are crap". Which is the way most steel discussions go...
I like all kinds of knives, but for me it is a LOT easier cutting a sandwich in half with a trapper than with a peanut. Not only because the size of the blade, but the feel of the handle in my big hands. So I think it is just easier to perform some tasks with a larger knife. It is more versatile. And I carried small knives for many years. Will only carry as backup now. That is my preference. :)

When I hear someone say "That knife is too small" it's pretty obvious it's a preference he's stating. In any case, I don't like the idea of someone else deciding what others need. There's already too much of that going around, I don't like anyone telling me what I do or don't need. "A peanut is all the knife anyone needs" type thinking can easily be applied to "A Prius is all anyone needs, why do we still have gas guzzling SUVs?" and then to "No one needs a semiautomatic rifle."

Besides, what's need got to do with it?

"O, reason not the need!"

- King Lear

Last edited:
I am with you guys. A peanut is just too small to be my only knife. It probably could do most things I needed it to, but there are better options for me. I guess I've not made it to the 'minimalist' years of my life.:rolleyes: (and probably never will):D
TrapperMike TrapperMike , I understand your situation and I would carry that special knife everyday, too.:thumbsup:

Lastly I am giving up yes I'm a whimp and not carrying this little guy another day by it's self. It's just to small for me even though I've not come up with a task it couldn't preform. So to all of our Peanut loving friends I get it I really do but it's like Toyota and Honda or Ford and Chevy all four are great vehicles but most folks will always prefer one over the other and I just prefer larger knives.

When I posted this as part of my conclusions of carrying the Peanut I had hoped that I made my point of basically the Peanut is a very good knife but just not for me as a long time EDC because of it's size. That's just a preference same as those that like the moderns or sheath knives only absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Also one of the problems with any social media is that we sometimes can post something that we are trying to say and the wording can cause readers to take it differently than we actually meant. I've had it happen to me.

When I hear someone say "That knife is too small" it's pretty obvious it's a preference he's stating. In any case, I don't like the idea of someone else deciding what others need. There's already too much of that going around, I don't like anyone telling me what I do or don't need. "A peanut is all the knife anyone needs" type thinking can easily be applied to "A Prius is all anyone needs, why do we still have gas guzzling SUVs?" and then to "No one needs a semiautomatic rifle."

Besides, what's need got to do with it?

True enough, a lot of types might say you don't need a knife at all, tableware or plastic knives are quite sufficient. No. Man cannot live by bread alone (he can exist but not live) and in my book the knife enthusiast cannot live with one knife alone either. At least not well ;)

The Peanut is a fine pattern with an impressive lineage, many love to use it and find great utility from it. I don't go for Jack patterns so much, preferring Pen/opposite end knives or singles, so it's not on my preference range. With knives, I think it has most to do with not the size or scales/steel but how it feels and functions in your hand, yes and how it sits in your pocket.:thumbsup:

I carried a peanut for a month and posted about it in the cult of the peanut thread. After that, I went back to slightly larger knives, which I prefer. As I've posted in many threads, my current EDC knife is a Case teardrop. It's larger, with a longer blade than the peanut, but it's thinner, so I never even notice I'm carrying it. I still carry the peanut occasionally as my only knife (other than the SAK that's always on my key ring). Like others have said, it's personal preference and it's wonderful we all like different things or the porch would be boring. I see some awesome knives posted all the time, even though they aren't necessarily something I would carry.

I think another part of it is knife usage. Someone who works on a cattle ranch or as a carpenter is going to use their knives a lot and probably NEED a certain pattern for their job. On the other hand, I'm retired and seldom use my teardrop. I can get by with a nice looking knife that will cut things occasionally and isn't specialized for a certain task.

I agree on preferences. I enjoy seeing what all of you are posting. I enjoy your takes on different knives. I enjoyed your thoughts on the peanut Randy and I look forward to seeing what catches your next.

Back