Peened pins question

So basically with all of the knives I make I use steel or brass pins that that are peened in place. Epoxy is only there to keep moisture out. The problem I am having is that no matter what I try whether it be a hard backed sanding block, or a perfectly flat file, or whatever, you can always feel a slight bump when you run your finger down the handle over the pin on a finished knife. So is this just normal and unavoidable with peened pins? I made a different knife where the pins were not peened, only epoxied in place and they seemed to sand out a lot more flush, can barely feel them if at all. I prefer to peen my pins because I make historical type knives.

Screenshot-20210118-154229-Gallery.jpg

Also tapered the tangs on these 18th century style scalpers...all in the name of historical accuracy. :)

20210127-003440.jpg

Last edited:
there must be something else going on if you are using a hard backer and still feeling a hump. are you buffing with a wheel after sanding? if you can see the pin while you are sanding over it going back and forth, that means you are coming off the pin and sanding the wood away more quickly than the pin, leaving the hump. also, make sure your paper is tight around the hard backer, if its loose it wont work as good.

Thanks guys! I think thats probably it. I just need to go finer on the files and more careful and finer on the sanding. I'll give this a try.

Proud pins are very annoying. I knock pins down against my 10" contact wheel, horizontally is the easiest as it lets you see what is going on the best. I use 400 grit as this is as high as I go finishing handles on the grinder. The last two steps, typically 800 and 1500 grit by hand, I don't find much of a problem as very little material is removed. I then use a hard backing over the pins.

Thanks guys! I think thats probably it. I just need to go finer on the files and more careful and finer on the sanding. I'll give this a try.
Try flat chainsaw file , they have fine teeth and barely catch on wood but they remove steel ,brass , bronze fast .........+ they have SAFE edge so you can not dig edge of file in wood . I have them from Sandvik .
Something like this .........https://www.treestuff.com/save-edge-flat-file/

like others have said file the pin down , try angling the file for it to tell you once it is flush with the wood
use a real good file either a #4 or #6 cut flat file..

Back