Pekiti Hand vs. Knife

Very nice. I like how in the FMAs the weapon angles transfer seamlessly into the empty hand material.

Neat!
The more I see, the more the commonalities between martial arts become apparent.
Guess there's only so many ways to do things, as we're all built rather similar.:)

hi, this clip by youtube was great. I practice kali (Garimot style) in my country, and i want to download FMA instructables videos (free or pay for download it), someone know a web to sugested it to me. thanks.
GAG

The older that I get, I am figuring out that I don't know anything. Have a lot to learn.

I have seen old black and white video made by Tuhon Bill McGrath - just great !! drills ... foot work .. comprehensive

similar techniques you can see in Inayan Cadena de mano, but that is more like civilian version.

Most valuable is that Pekiti Tirsha is military system.

I'm mainly a jujitsu guy but we also practice some FMA as well as Jeet Kune Do (third generation) but I have never been comfortable with knife defence techniques that involve a lot of touching the knife hand but then letting it go, my practice is to secure the weapons hand if it becomes available but not to let go until the guy in under control.

Maybe it's my more practiced jujitsu winning out over my less practiced FMA, but can you FMA guys shed some light on not securing the arm? Thanks.

Maybe it's my more practiced jujitsu winning out over my less practiced FMA, but can you FMA guys shed some light on not securing the arm? Thanks.

I think that Tuhon Bill can answer this question better than I can, but as a starter:

Tapping is but a means to end, i.e., to familiarize the beginner with basic lines of attack and defense, build sensitivity, and to introduce body mechanics into muscle memory. One of the issues with empty hand vs. knife is that experienced knifers will typically feint and/or redirect an attack once the initial contact has been made - and tapping is designed to address that issue as well.

In actual practice (and one would pray that this would never actually happen to you) only a small piece of the drill would come out (say, a momentary check and redirect) and one would move quickly to neutralize the opponent before he can re-deploy the knife. Securing the arm is recognized as one of the best ways of doing this, whether as a momentary check, trap or lock, that could lead to some form of destruction or submission.

Don't take tapping qua drill in isolation therefore: it should be seen in the context of a wide array of follow-up techniques - many of which involve securing the arm. There is a nice discussion of this on the FMAtalk forum entitled "Knife Tapping."

Best,

Steve

I think that Tuhon Bill can answer this question better than I can, but as a starter:

Tapping is but a means to end, i.e., to familiarize the beginner with basic lines of attack and defense, build sensitivity, and to introduce body mechanics into muscle memory. One of the issues with empty hand vs. knife is that experienced knifers will typically feint and/or redirect an attack once the initial contact has been made - and tapping is designed to address that issue as well.

In actual practice (and one would pray that this would never actually happen to you) only a small piece of the drill would come out (say, a momentary check and redirect) and one would move quickly to neutralize the opponent before he can re-deploy the knife. Securing the arm is recognized as one of the best ways of doing this, whether as a momentary check, trap or lock, that could lead to some form of destruction or submission.

Don't take tapping qua drill in isolation therefore: it should be seen in the context of a wide array of follow-up techniques - many of which involve securing the arm. There is a nice discussion of this on the FMAtalk forum entitled "Knife Tapping."

Best,

Steve

good clarification Steve thanks

same in Inayan escrima, parry, control and take down.
in silat you can see parry and contra attack in same beat, but for most of less experienced fighters that would be more risky approach imo.

would be great to hear Tuhon Bill on that topic

thanks

For anyone in New York or Long Island Tuhon McGrath will be teaching an empty hand vs. knife/knife vs. knife seminar on November 14:

Long Island, NY
Contact email: Jleabo@leboxing.com
Contact phone: 917-596-2840

November 14th 2009
Hand vs. Knife Basics and Knife vs. Knife Overview

Time: Doors open at 9am.
Seminar begins at 10am SHARP
Lunch: 1pm-2pm
(The Academy is surrounded by great places to eat.
Protein bars, drinks, etc. are also available for purchase)
Cost: $80 pp – Credit Cards
Accepted in advance ONLY.
Cash Only on the day of the seminar.

55 Atlantic Avenue & Sunrise Hwy.
Lynbrook, NY 11563

Contact John Leabo at phone or email listed for more info or to make payment.

Best,

Steve

Dear Tuhon

Two web sites I am hoping you would be interested in, the newest one is Blades Of Life.com, everything to do with the Philippine martial arts, and Martiam Matrix . com
I am hoping you will post here more often and check out some of the two other sites, they would like to hear from you.

Have A Blessed Day

Back