1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 25 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco Manix 2

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Manix 2 , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, June 22 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Peltonen SissiPuukko?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by lonestar1979, Oct 27, 2016.

1. recondoc1

recondoc1

Apr 27, 2001
    I've owned 2 of the m95s and worked them both hard. No failures...ever. Tough, no nonsense blades.

2. schwep

schwep

Jan 4, 2017
    Of course the M07 will fit the M95 sheath; after all they have identical handles. But as far as I know you can't buy the M07 without a sheath, you have to get it with the leather one. So you then would need to buy the M95 plastic sheath separately, adding to the total cost. Plus you would have a 120 mm knife, bought because it is less cumbersome to carry, and end up carrying it in a sheath for a 150 mm long blade - at which point one could have bought just the M95 in a plastic sheath.
    I do see why the manufacturer - with his military background - considers the M95 as the real tactical knife, for which he offers the more versatile plastic sheath option, and the M07 as the 'civilian/bushcraft' model that does not need a tactical plastic sheath. But as a customer I wonder why I can't get a fitting plastic sheath as an option for the M07. If anyone knows otherwise, please tell. It's been weeks since the mailman brought a package from Finland. ;-)

3. schwep

schwep

Jan 4, 2017
    A couple of photo's of the Peltonen M07 and the Teräva 140
    A view of the respective retainment systems, Peltonen M07 left, Teräva right. Clearly the snap button in the Teräva sheath serves the same purpose as the retaining wheel in the Peltonen sheath.
    [​IMG]

The two knives side by side:
    [​IMG]

Sheathed:
    [​IMG]

Teräva 140 compared to its sheath, with room to spare and fully protected blade:
    [​IMG]

Peltonen M07 on its sheath. Clearly this knife has little room left; the tip reaches beyond the internal blade protector (which goes as far as the rivet), and the protector does not protect the spine of the knife (or the spine of the sheath against the blade...):
    [​IMG]
    Frank Schweppe, on Flickr

For anyone wondering what the velcro bands on the sheaths are about: I like to carry these knives crossdraw fashion, high on my belt in the 10 o'clock position, and have folded the danglers down and fixed them to the sheath with velcro bands. Thus the danglers become belt loops on the backs of the sheaths. A bit improvised, but it works.

Larger images on the Flickr page mentioned (as well as some other blades, some photos of hot-air ballooning...)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  4. wildmike

wildmike

Nov 17, 2007
    Personally I like the leather sheath, but I would prefer a traditional tuppi sheath for the knife.
    I'm looking for something suitable for a liner to make one.

5. wackafew

wackafew Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Would love to get a SissiPuukko someday. Especially now that Sissi and Terava are made at the same factory in Finland and using the 80 crv 2 steel. I've had my 110 Terava for a few weeks now. For $49 to my door, it's a heck of a knife for the money. Feels great in the hand, and the blade seems to hold a good edge for quite a while. DSCF8336.JPG

6. wildmike

wildmike

Nov 17, 2007
    I have found the 80crV2 steel to not only be exceptionally tough, but it easily takes as fantastic of an edge as 52100! Plus it holds that edge, and yet is easily maintained with a strop.

I'm really considering picking up an M95 as well.

These knives perform far better than a whole lot of knives that cost three or more times as much.

7. schwep

schwep

Jan 4, 2017
    One further remark on the sheaths for the M07 versus the Terava knives. I love the M07 but use it less than my Terava 140 because of the sheath. But I found that the M07 fits pretty well in the sheath of my Terava 110 (surprising given that the blade is 15 mm longer, it shows that the Terava sheaths have a lot of room). It slips just far enough past the snap button although not with the quasi-click of a Terava, and I found I could even snap the button closed. However, my Peltonen M07 has a slightly thinner front guard - I sanded it down a bit because it sat too tight in its own sheath. For anyone who is not very fond of the original Peltonen sheath, getting a Terava 110 sheath from Varusteleka may thus be an alternative for the M07 if one is willing to do a bit of sanding and light modifying to make it fit. Of course adding any additional sheath will make it more expensive, whether it's the longer plastic one meant for the M95, a Kydex or any aftermarket sheath.