Peltonen SissiPuukko?

The M07 will a!so for the plastic sheath for the M95.
I have the M07 and It is a fantastic knife.
It has become a favorite!
Of course the M07 will fit the M95 sheath; after all they have identical handles. But as far as I know you can't buy the M07 without a sheath, you have to get it with the leather one. So you then would need to buy the M95 plastic sheath separately, adding to the total cost. Plus you would have a 120 mm knife, bought because it is less cumbersome to carry, and end up carrying it in a sheath for a 150 mm long blade - at which point one could have bought just the M95 in a plastic sheath.
I do see why the manufacturer - with his military background - considers the M95 as the real tactical knife, for which he offers the more versatile plastic sheath option, and the M07 as the 'civilian/bushcraft' model that does not need a tactical plastic sheath. But as a customer I wonder why I can't get a fitting plastic sheath as an option for the M07. If anyone knows otherwise, please tell. It's been weeks since the mailman brought a package from Finland. ;-)

A couple of photo's of the Peltonen M07 and the Teräva 140
A view of the respective retainment systems, Peltonen M07 left, Teräva right. Clearly the snap button in the Teräva sheath serves the same purpose as the retaining wheel in the Peltonen sheath.
39625700265_f2d587a28a_z.jpg

The two knives side by side:
40520778901_c934676b5e_z.jpg

Sheathed:
39625701105_a2188ddd4f_z.jpg

Teräva 140 compared to its sheath, with room to spare and fully protected blade:
39625701315_e98a50ccb9_z.jpg

Peltonen M07 on its sheath. Clearly this knife has little room left; the tip reaches beyond the internal blade protector (which goes as far as the rivet), and the protector does not protect the spine of the knife (or the spine of the sheath against the blade...):
25650648267_8d79bf77a2_z.jpg

Frank Schweppe, on Flickr

For anyone wondering what the velcro bands on the sheaths are about: I like to carry these knives crossdraw fashion, high on my belt in the 10 o'clock position, and have folded the danglers down and fixed them to the sheath with velcro bands. Thus the danglers become belt loops on the backs of the sheaths. A bit improvised, but it works.

Larger images on the Flickr page mentioned (as well as some other blades, some photos of hot-air ballooning...)

Last edited:
Personally I like the leather sheath, but I would prefer a traditional tuppi sheath for the knife.
I'm looking for something suitable for a liner to make one.

Would love to get a SissiPuukko someday. Especially now that Sissi and Terava are made at the same factory in Finland and using the 80 crv 2 steel. I've had my 110 Terava for a few weeks now. For $49 to my door, it's a heck of a knife for the money. Feels great in the hand, and the blade seems to hold a good edge for quite a while. DSCF8336.JPG

I have found the 80crV2 steel to not only be exceptionally tough, but it easily takes as fantastic of an edge as 52100! Plus it holds that edge, and yet is easily maintained with a strop.

I'm really considering picking up an M95 as well.

These knives perform far better than a whole lot of knives that cost three or more times as much.

One further remark on the sheaths for the M07 versus the Terava knives. I love the M07 but use it less than my Terava 140 because of the sheath. But I found that the M07 fits pretty well in the sheath of my Terava 110 (surprising given that the blade is 15 mm longer, it shows that the Terava sheaths have a lot of room). It slips just far enough past the snap button although not with the quasi-click of a Terava, and I found I could even snap the button closed. However, my Peltonen M07 has a slightly thinner front guard - I sanded it down a bit because it sat too tight in its own sheath. For anyone who is not very fond of the original Peltonen sheath, getting a Terava 110 sheath from Varusteleka may thus be an alternative for the M07 if one is willing to do a bit of sanding and light modifying to make it fit. Of course adding any additional sheath will make it more expensive, whether it's the longer plastic one meant for the M95, a Kydex or any aftermarket sheath.

Since this thread has already been through a few necro-revivals, I hope nobody minds another. Every so often, I will read about a knife I have never heard about, and say to myself, “Hey, that’s really cool. I gotta have one”. If my bank account agrees, I order it. That happened a couple of weeks ago with me and the Peltonen.

I got the M 07, and find it compares most closely with the Jääkkäripuukko 110, a knife I really like. The leather sheath for tha M 07 works well for me. The knife seats and unseats with one hand. Once seated, there is about 3/16” of fore and aft free play before the knife bottoms out in the liner. At that point, the tip of the blade is about a quartet inch away from the end of the sheath, which has been left open (for drainage?), and in no danger of poking out the end unless the sheath were to stretch some.

My one beef with the sheath is that there is enough room around the liner for the blade to lodge between it and the leather, and not seat fully.

I have no opinion on the various attachment methods. I will always put a knife this big in a pack or some motorcycle luggage rather than wear it on my belt.

Last edited:
I'm a new guy,see my request for info on an old tomahawk sold in the 80's in another thread. But I do know some things about these knives,the older ones. I personally knew Les Ristinen,he knew the guy that forged all the original ones to be sent off to Fiskars to be handled and sheathed.(Also blade finish) . He showed me pics of the blades waiting to be shipped,and a catalog or more of a brochure of the other things that guy made. Most,actually all of his other stuff was heavy blacksmith type items. Yard decorations,boot kicks and the such and those knife blades. Thought I'd share what I know.

I only "know" what I read that Peltonen said. I thought of him as an authority. I have Restinen's books.

I'm a new guy,see my request for info on an old tomahawk sold in the 80's in another thread. But I do know some things about these knives,the older ones. I personally knew Les Ristinen,he knew the guy that forged all the original ones to be sent off to Fiskars to be handled and sheathed.(Also blade finish) . He showed me pics of the blades waiting to be shipped,and a catalog or more of a brochure of the other things that guy made. Most,actually all of his other stuff was heavy blacksmith type items. Yard decorations,boot kicks and the such and those knife blades. Thought I'd share what I

I only "know" what I read that Peltonen said. I thought of him as an authority. I have Restinen's books.
? I went to the first page to see your posts,what is your issue with my post? I was just sharing what I know about the knife. Sorry if I did something wrong. And when I said I knew Les personally,I was a customer of his,and a fellow Finn(see user name),we would talk on the phone and I would always go to the local FinnFest(it's a upper Midwest thing) and leave with a knife. I sorry for any misunderstandings.

And there's supposed to be an m after that I in the last sentence. How many Finn's does it take to edit a post...

? What is your issue with my post? I was just sharing what I think I know. Like you, I have no first-hand knowledge of how the Sissipuukko came to be, only what others have written or said - hearsay. Sorry if that seemed wrong to you.

? What is your issue with my post? I was just sharing what I think I know. Like you, I have no first-hand knowledge of how the Sissipuukko came to be, only what others have written or said - hearsay. Sorry if that seemed wrong to you.
I guess the quotes around "know" just threw me off a bit. Seems to be a lot of mysteries with these knives, who knows. No hard feelings.

Back in the early 2000's I read a thread about the 95,don't remember the forum the internet looked so different back then. A Finnish Sissi joined the chat,and after a couple pages of stupid sissy jokes he tried to give some info on the first ones. He talked about visiting the small blacksmith shop that forged the blades, and of course was bombarded with Fiskars this and that. No doubt Peltonen designed and made the first. The small shop he described sounded like the same as the what I had seen in the brochure.

fiskars originally made the blades, handle and sheath done by J-P Peltonen, blade sharpened by Upi Anttila, who has a forge in Fiskars. Visited J-P several times in Finland, talked to him this morning, and he never said or claimed the blades where made by a small blacksmith shop, only that they were sharpened by Upi Anttilla. John

Reactions: TC
fiskars originally made the blades, handle and sheath done by J-P Peltonen, blade sharpened by Upi Anttila, who has a forge in Fiskars. Visited J-P several times in Finland, talked to him this morning, and he never said or claimed the blades where made by a small blacksmith shop, only that they were sharpened by Upi Anttilla. John
Thanks,well I guess that clears that up. Say you didn't happen to write knife articles in magazines back in the day did you?

Back