Pendergast novels.

Sooo, in this cover era, and as an old fart that doesn't wish to get ill, I've been doing more reading than normal, even for me. I discovered the Pendergast novels by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. At first I wasn't sure they were for me, I had mixed feelings. But the more I read, the more they kind of grew on me. BY the end of the second one and midway into the third, I think I'm hooked. The writing style is something I can't quite put a finger on, but has overtones that is reminiscent of maybe some of the Clive Cussler novels.

Anyone else has read them?

I've read most of the Pendergast books. According to their website, 20 books, 14 or 15 of the titles look familiar to me. I'm not up too date on the latest, especially with no library access the last few months. I enjoyed them as well. If you have a chance, read them in order (that goes for most series of course). Many of the book reference earlier happenings.

Preston and Childs series with the character named Gideon isn't bad either. I think I read the first 3.

I like Cussler too but mostly the Dirk Pitt ones. They are a little corny and follow the same structure (historical event, beautiful women in peril, Dirk saves the day, and we're off to solve a mystery) but I still enjoy them.

Reading through the first one now, Relic, which was made into a monster movie and barely followed the book
I had read “verses for the dead” which got me started and decided to go back to the first one
G2

Love those books, read most of them. I like how they introduced supernatural things in the story line. Both authors have other books not related to Pendergast that are good also.

Reading through the first one now, Relic, which was made into a monster movie and barely followed the book
I had read “verses for the dead” which got me started and decided to go back to the first one
G2

Its been my experience that once Hollywood gets/buys the rights from the author, it then gets mangled into some monstrosity that barely resembles the original story. Many authors have become very leery of selling any works to movie people. I've made it a point now in life that once I read a good book and they make a movie of it, I won't watch the movie.

I read every single day via my tablet and Kindle App. Started one of the Theodore Roosevelt books on hunting in the Dakotas and switched over to a fantasy novel. I have a number of the Teddy Roosevelt books now on my tablet. They read just fine and he wrote well.... just not "action packed" and I get bored easily. I feel sure I will go back to it and read again. I'd like to get the latest Horace Kephart book on the kindle but it is not offered in that format. I have paged through the book at stores and know I would be interested but resist spending the coin on it.

I visit Cades Cove in the Smoky Mountains NP quite often and enjoy some of the history of the mountain folks. The funny thing is that I have never looked at the wiki page for it. I was looking for a particular cave location (Bull Cave) which I have learned it is off the Ace Gap trail. This trail is near the top of the mountain and would be a more pleasant hike in the hot summer months. There is a cave inside Cades Cove called Gregory's Cave which prior to the park formation was a "commercial" cave of sorts. I suspect it didn't get many visitors but it was used as a possible bomb shelter during the cold war days in the event of nuclear attack. It was stocked with food and set up to accommodate 1,000 people. It is closed off to human access with bars to protect the bats (as is Bull Cave).

22-rimfire 22-rimfire

Which Kephart book are you looking for? Have you read any of C.S. Landis books?
You mean the book he did on 22 rifle shooting? I don't believe I have that one. But I have quite a few rimfire references. On Kephart, it is the latest book done by Libby and another author. Although I know quite a bit about his life, there may be more in this book. I have read several of his books, even including the one on Indians (oops, native Americans). This is in part why I'm interested in Teddy Roosevelt books as they were done at the end of the "Indian Wars".

Other than reference books, I don't want bound books any more. I have boxes and boxes of books and need to just toss them.

Yes “Hunting with the Twenty Two“, great treatise on hunting and shooting with a .22 rifle, but it’s not available as an ebook or kindle.

I was aware Libby had worked with Ken Burns and a few others on the documentary she finished a few years back. I had not heard she had finished the book.

Yes “Hunting with the Twenty Two“, great treatise on hunting and shooting with a .22 rifle, but it’s not available as an ebook or kindle.

I was aware Libby had worked with Ken Burns and a few others on the documentary she finished a few years back. I had not heard she had finished the book.
I grew up shooting and hunting with 22 rifles. I honestly never wanted a book on hunting with a 22 rifle back when I started accumulating 22 references. I feel sure it would be enjoyable as it was written during my formative years and Landis probably used the same rifles I did or wanted.

The Kephart documentary wasn't very good in my opinion. I bought it. The book has been around now for over a year. I see it when I visit the Smoky Mt NP (visitor center) and I keep wanting to buy it, but would rather it be in a kindle format.

Although published in 1950..a fair amount of the material in Landis book was from the 30’s and 40’s. Regardless it is worth a read for those interested in vintage rifles and hunting smaller game and varmints.

Last edited:
Although published in 1950..a fair amount of the material in Landis book was from the 30’s and 40’s. Regardless it is worth a read for those interested in vintage rifles and hunting smaller game and varmints.
I agree, but I'm not paying collector prices for a copy. I bought several copies of the "Colt Bible" and then they released a paper back copy. Money poured down a hole.

I agree, but I'm not paying collector prices for a copy. I bought several copies of the "Colt Bible" and then they released a paper back copy. Money poured down a hole.

It is available in a Kindle edition after all, didn't know that until I just checked :thumbsup:

It is available in a Kindle edition after all, didn't know that until I just checked :thumbsup:
I thought I had checked.... yep, Kindle edition. Bought it. This is the Chuck Landis book on 22 rifle hunting if anyone reading doesn't capture the thread flow.

I still mourn all the money I spent of the Colt Bible hardback, original edition. And I own two copies.... Such is life.

I've read all the Prendergast novels, looking forward to the next one. I've enjoyed some others Doug Preston, especially "In Search of the Lost City of the Monkey God" by Preston, a true story.

I've read all the Prendergast novels, looking forward to the next one. I've enjoyed some others Doug Preston, especially "In Search of the Lost City of the Monkey God" by Preston, a true story.

Yes, each time I finish a new one, I can't wait to get started on the new one. I haven't been this enthused about an author since I was reading the Donald Hamilton/Matt Helm series.

Preston’s Dinosaur in the Attic was a fun non-fiction as well.

I love the Pendergast novels, and I can’t imagine how they made the film Relic without the main character.

n2s

Thanks for the heads up guys. I may try one of these books out and see how it goes. Been on a Philip Mercer kick for a while and just finished up the last one.

Will

Bringing this back to life. There are two novels featuring Archeologist Nora Kelley, Old Bones and the latest The Scorpions Tail. His protégé Corrie Swanson is in both, too.

I recently read Preston's true story, "The Monster of Florence", unbelievable. Preston is banned from traveling to Italy because of this book!! Not for the squeamish.

Bringing this back to life. There are two novels featuring Archeologist Nora Kelley, Old Bones and the latest The Scorpions Tail. His protégé Corrie Swanson is in both, too.

I just finished reading "Old Bones". Enjoyed it a lot. The only Pendergast novel I read so far was "Cabinet of Curiousities" and I enjoyed that, as well. I'm going back to "Relic" to start from the beginning.

Preston has an awesome book called "The Codex" which, if you like his style and adventure novels, you'll enjoy. Tyrannosaur Canyon is a follow up to it of sorts and is the first novel in the Wyman Ford series.

I think Preston & Child are my favorite "for fun" authors. Not all of them are great, but they are all a fun read. I particularly enjoyed "Ice Limit" and "Thunderhead".

Back