pepper spray question

In reading through this thread, it appears that if you used anything to defend yourself, you would be in more trouble than your attacker. (As in the UK.) :rolleyes:

Don't believe the hype (or people's opinions on what the law is).
Look at the laws for yourself.

Don't believe the hype (or people's opinions on what the law is).
Look at the laws for yourself.

It's not what the law is, it's how the po-leeese and prosecutors define it. If you cause someone bodily harm while defending yourself, I suspect that you will be in deep do-do.
I have read quite a bit about self defense law in Canada. It's rather civilized. If you get killed, don't worry. The cops will investigate.

It's not what the law is, it's how the po-leeese and prosecutors define it. If you cause someone bodily harm while defending yourself, I suspect that you will be in deep do-do.
I have read quite a bit about self defense law in Canada. It's rather civilized. If you get killed, don't worry. The cops will investigate.

You've been reading the wrong stuff:

A jury in Quebec has acquitted a man of first-degree murder in the deadly shooting of a Laval police officer who raided his home last year.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-man-acquitted-in-police-officer-slaying-1.698274

Perhaps reading the NRA's propaganda about Canada isn't where you should get your info. ;)

I was wondering why Parasiris was charged with 1st degree murder, so I read a bit about it and murder is Canadian law is different than in the US. I would guess that whether the
cop identified himself or not made a big difference. Who knows? This took place in Quebec. Maybe the cop was yelling in English.

In the US 1st degree murder requires premeditation.

I don't pay much attention to NRA propaganda. I'm sure that your NFA does a good job of spreading it's own. ;)

Last edited:
I don't pay much attention to NRA propaganda. I'm sure that your NFA does a good job of spreading it's own. ;)

Well, the CSSA (Canadian Shooting Sports Association) has its incessant e-mails about not much (other than send us more money...:rolleyes:), but in general the gun community here doesn't say much of anything.
Most people seem to lay low for whatever reason.

I read the news story again. For Parasiris to be able to shoot the cop, he must have had a loaded gun near by. Isn't that illegal in Canada?

This is off topic, but my wife and I were in Banff in 1998. I think it was late Sept. or early Oct. There were more elk wandering around than people.

The big news was the proposed anti-gun laws. People were really upset and there were videos of large demonstrations in front of government buildings
in Alberta. I commented to my wife that we wouldn't see that in the USA. There were huge demonstrations in Calif. opposing new auto emission regulations,
but I don't recall any large pro-gun demonstrations.

I read the news story again. For Parasiris to be able to shoot the cop, he must have had a loaded gun near by. Isn't that illegal in Canada?

This is off topic, but my wife and I were in Banff in 1998. I think it was late Sept. or early Oct. There were more elk wandering around than people.

The big news was the proposed anti-gun laws. People were really upset and there were videos of large demonstrations in front of government buildings
in Alberta.
I commented to my wife that we wouldn't see that in the USA. There were huge demonstrations in Calif. opposing new auto emission regulations,
but I don't recall any large pro-gun demonstrations.

Alberta is one of the few provinces that you can get such things organized. Tends to have a "Don't tread on me" sort of feel.

As for loading a gun, having it loaded all the time is against the law, but one can load a firearm in a place where one is allowed to legally discharge it.
Hence, if he was in a situation where lethal force was allowed, he could load it then (although I suspect is was loaded beforehand...but who knows :)).

When I was a kid, you could mail order a .22 tear gas pen. I found out that the cartridges were loaded with cayenne pepper. I can tell you from experience, that it worked very well.
It's best not to spray an irritant into the wind.

In reading through this thread, it appears that if you used anything to defend yourself, you would be in more trouble than your attacker. (As in the UK.) :rolleyes:
Might I suggest martial arts? Or is that illegal too? :rolleyes:

i had to take criminology as an elective in college. my instructor always told us equal or lesser force, and you'd be ok legally. what i took from that was it's ok to take a knife to a gun fight.

i'd say go with the dog spray. at the very least, it'll be strong enough to distract your assailant. then you can scram before he/she recovers, or the fuzz shows up. worry about the legality after.

I bought my daughter a stun gun,better than spray imho.

Not a gun, and it probably won't stun. Plus, the 6-10 seconds she'll have to hold it against the attacker's torso will give him all the time in the world to beat her unconscious or knife her to death. Not recommended. Spray at least gives some stand-off distance.

Haha. In Japan I heard they'd blow the yolk out of an egg and fill the shell full of finely ground salt and red pepper. Crush the thing in your hand and throw it in the guys face. It worked 2 hundred years ago. Dog repellant is probably better.

Some ingredients you missed: rice flour, iron filings, and/or powdered rust.

Here's an idea. Buy a small 2oz can of prohibited 10% spray, then peel the label off. It is unlikely to become an issue unless you are searched or in the event you actually use it. If that happens, tell them it is the permitted dog spray. Unlikely they'll bother to test the concentration. If the sticker is missing it is too difficult for them to prove their case. Problem solved.

i recently bought some counter assault dog spray because i live in Canada and normal pepper spray would be illegal anyway it says it has 0.92% capsaicin is that enough to deter a more human attacker if need be ?
Many times the only difference between pepper spray marketed in the USA as defense against muggers and Dog Spray in Canada is the label.
Bear Spray and Dog Spray must be labeled here in Canada in accordance with the PMRA which is part of Health Canada

As long as it is labeled and intended to be used against wild (bear spray) or domestic (dog spray) that represent a danger it is legal to carry.

if the label indicates that it is intended to be used against humans then it is prohibited in Canada
If it is properly labeled for use in Canada, but you intend to use it against humans then it is prohibited in Canada

carrying bear spray in downtown Vancouver would be an issue, but dog spray probably not as long as you are careful with it and don't draw attention to yourself

Back