• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Percentage to take off for used knives?

JTR357

Gold Member
What percentage would you take off from retail for used knives without a box but are still in really good shape?I've got a handful I want to sell & am unsure how to price them.

I know this place is generally for feedback.It just didn't seem right to put it in the GKD since it's only regarding sales & not the knives themselves.

I think it's pretty subjective based on the knife and it's demand... They say no box is automatically 5% less, and used would maybe be another 10% ymmv... As I first said, subjective based on each knife IMO

I think it's pretty subjective based on the knife and it's demand... They say no box is automatically 5% less, and used would maybe be another 10% ymmv... As I first said, subjective based on each knife IMO

LOL @ 5%.I've had people offer me half because there was no box.Thanks MIGUY.

LOL @ 5%.I've had people offer me half because there was no box.Thanks MIGUY.

That's REALLY steep and borderline absurd. Perhaps for some extremely rare collectable type piece MAYBE.

I'd say secondhand sale is an automatic -10% to -15% off retail, no box -5%, used -15%.

So if I had a hundred dollar knife, retail from a store, I'd sell it used with no box for around $60-$70.

This is all assuming that "used" means totally functional and not abused in anyway.

Last edited:
That's REALLY steep and borderline absurd. Perhaps for some extremely rare collectable type piece MAYBE.

I'd say secondhand sale is an automatic -15% retail, no box -5%, used -15%.

So if I had a hundred dollar knife, retail from a store, I'd sell it used with no box for around $60-$70.

This is all assuming that "used" means totally functional and not abused in anyway.

Yeah that's the breakdown I was figuring.All my knives show some use,ie minor scratches on blade & clip,never abused.No chips or anything.Thanks Chris

Based on your description, and provided they aren't high demand models (like a Sprint run Paramilitary 2), I would say the general ballpark is 20-30%.

If you can try to price them in the market. As stated already it depends on demand for the knife. If it is something special you might get close to retail or even more than. I would say 10-20% off an almost new condition. Nobody is going to chance dealing with you at the same price they can get it new from a dealer. If they show wear, they are much harder to sell, especially in this market. Most people want non sharpened and non scratched or they pay user prices which can be 25%-40% off easily.
That is at least how I see it and is based totally on what I follow which isn't many brands

These are very common knives(except for a BF forum knife).I'll try it out at 25% off from retail & see how it goes.

I thought this was a very interesting thread. So often I see well overpriced second-hand knives and regularly make offers which, after the seller has had the listing running for months and months, they end up going even lower than.

I'd agree mostly with Peter, but have a few other considerations.

If you can try to price them in the market. As stated already it depends on demand for the knife. If it is something special you might get close to retail or even more than. I would say 10-20% off an almost new condition. Nobody is going to chance dealing with you at the same price they can get it new from a dealer. If they show wear, they are much harder to sell, especially in this market. Most people want non sharpened and non scratched or they pay user prices which can be 25%-40% off easily.
That is at least how I see it and is based totally on what I follow which isn't many brands

Of course if we are talking about an out of production, or custom knife, well pricing is whatever the market will bear; this is not the area I'm really looking at for discussing price.

Some out-of-production knives increase in value, and others don't, so not being a current model is no guarantee of holding its price.

Let's take a current production model and work it step by step:

When I value a knife like this, I start with the 'best new price' I can find including any forum or other discounts. This is often less than you paid for it.

Take this best new price and immediately drop at least 10-15% (all in, fees and postage) - this is the minimum factor by which a buyer is prepared to risk a private purchase over a dealer purchase (which is guaranteed), and requires a perfect, never used, boxed knife.

Then we have to look at condition...and condition is very subjective.

-has it been sharpened (how well has this been done)?
-has it been scratched (due to bad sharpening or something else)?
-is anything missing (box, strap etc)?
-has it been carried (even if not used)?

Any of the above will start chipping away at the value, and even with only light use, these factors should quickly get to 40% off the best price (as Peter said) or more. and for heavily used, I'd expect it to be priced at less than 50% of the best new price.

The OP's description of 'still in pretty good shape' rings alarm bells for me, sounds heavily used, and would have me thinking in the region of 70% off best-new-price. Clear photographs should explain better though.

Think of it like a car; it immediately drops value the second it leaves the forecourt. Then higher mileage, scratched paint, dents all have formulaic reductions and dealers use these to get to a value.

Be realistic, honest, fair and use plenty of clear photos - the buyer must know what they are getting.

I don't have a set formula. I just try to think what I would buy the knife for in the condition it's in. If the price is too steep, no one will buy it. Then you can bump the sale with a price reduction. :)

The OP asked for a %, but that is a very rough and often inaccurate way of pricing. You really just have to know the present market for the item (supply and demand). If there is a lot of demand you get a better price. No demand and it is hard to get anything for it, even if it is a well made knife in excellent condition. You have to keep cutting price until someone says what the heck. Low supply and high demand will translate to a good price. Popularity(and internet presence) of the maker or manufacturer definitely plays a part in the price you get. Unknown and lesser known makers don't sell well regardless of quality and condition and original price.
All I know is I buy for more than I sell for, so that tells you how good I am at it.

I don't have a set formula. I just try to think what I would buy the knife for in the condition it's in. If the price is too steep, no one will buy it. Then you can bump the sale with a price reduction. :)

These two explanations about cover it.

Back