Peters heat treating

Not able to do my own heat treating. Have had Peters do some HT for me in the past and their work is quality. Recently got an email from them. Seems like their prices have gone up quite a bit.
What's a fellow to do if he does not turn out 15 blades at a time? (The quantity you have to send in to get any kind of price break.)

You may want to request a mod to move this to the right subfourm

Yeah they have gone up over the years, but they do a great job. There's not much to be done unless you know other knife makers that want to send you stuff and you can send in a batch.

Before doing my own heat treating I used Peter's exclusively so I can't comment on the other heat treaters. The other companies that I know of to look into would be JTknives JTknives , Bos heat treating and Trugrit.

We do a lot of heat treating for the guys around here.

Reactions: Mo2
I use TruGrit. Jeff Mutz is a knifemaker there and does a great job at heat treating. Unlike Peters he does not use a torch to straighten your blade.

He uses thick steel plates during temper to remove any warp.

Prices are for a single blade is $10 stainless wrap $2 and Cryo $4

Prices decrease after 9 blades

Ive also started sending to Jeff Mutz. Quality work and decent turn around. Ill use Peters too but only on the occasion I am sending in lots of blades in the same steel.

We also don’t use a torch to straighten. I personally feal using a torch is not correct but I’m not saying it’s wrong. If any of you guys that are using other places want to try us out let me know. I could work somthing out for ya like a single blade sample run.

use a torch to straighten your blade.

So when Peters uses a torch, they put the edge in sand or water? Do you know?

Torching a spine to straighten a carbon steel blade is commonly done and even amongst ABS master smiths...

That aside Jeff Mutz is a great resource and been very helpful to me

I try and have the blades out in a week. But some times it’s 2 depending on work load. And some times it’s less then a week if your blades show up right befor the weekend. I do most heat treating on the weekend.

Torching a spine to straighten a carbon steel blade is commonly done and even amongst ABS master smiths...

It is done to the stainless steel blade, often leaving round rings at the top of the spine to soften while they bend the blade true.

So in the stainless blade you literally have spots that are soft and areas that are hard. That stress really is not the best for a stainless blade

I'm just loud thinking.........since the whole blank is bend or wrap whatever , and you straighten ONLY spine will not that make tension between spine and bevels ? Bevel should be all time under tension , fighting with spine ?

I use TruGrit. Jeff Mutz is a knifemaker there and does a great job at heat treating. Unlike Peters he does not use a torch to straighten your blade.

He uses thick steel plates during temper to remove any warp.

Prices are for a single blade is $10 stainless wrap $2 and Cryo $4

Prices decrease after 9 blades

He does have good prices but all the blades I've sent to him have come backed more warped whereas peters has been much more straight. And I have had a few from peters come back warped, then send them back in for correction where they used the torch to try to correct but still didn't get it right and the blades came back sandblasted (so I think it's rare they use a torch). So I asked if they could just re-ht and give more attention to the straightness during the cycle and it came back perfect then.

Granted I've only had one experience with Peters but they did a very good job with my 440C blade, it had zero scale and wasn't warped at all it was as straight and as flat as I sent it. Brad was very responsive to my e-mails as well.

I've used Peters for thousands of blades and never had one come back not straight as an arrow. I've also used Jeff (TruGrit) for quite a few smaller batches. They have all been perfectly straight too. Peters does have a longer turn around time most of the time. If a guy were doing just a couple or so I'd sure investigate JT or Jeff. Big batches, Peter's has worked very well for me.

Getting a batch ready to send off to ht. Got the bevels to grind:

CeNeNd4.jpg

These guys from the same batch will be ground post ht:

EXbbFMR.jpg

Last edited:
Back