Petition concerning new Canadian importation laws

I know there are already a few threads about this, but the more awareness we can generate the better. CBSA is essentially banning the importation of one handed opening pocket knives. Writing letters to your MP, the CSBA and the Canadian International Trading Tribunal (which passed the ruling) would all help. I have also started a petition and would really appreciate you guys signing it and passing it on. We are at 400 signatures so far.

The petition: https://www.change.org/p/harold-alb...m_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition

This article from Knifenews has more info: http://knifenews.com/canada-border-services-agency-seizing-one-handed-opening-pocket-knives/

Thanks y’all and God bless!
Will

Edit: Good news! MP Matt Jeneroux has sponsored an official, now approved, petition in the House of Commons. This holds much more weight than the one I have started. Please consider signing the official petition. Here is the link: https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/Petition/Details?Petition=e-1552
Note: You will need to confirm your signature by following the link sent to you via email after signing. Only then will your signature be verified. Thanks again, everyone.

Last edited:
Here's a sample letter you guys can copy, modify (if necessary), use and mail it to your MP and to the Minister of Public Safety, Honourable Ralph Goodale, etc...
Spread the word everywhere, before it's too late.

Dear Honourable ______ ________,

I understand and respect how busy you are serving our constituency as a Member of Parliament so I will try to stay on point and not waste your time. Please do not see this as being discourteous.

CBSA (Canada Border Services Agency) is trying to take over at least part of your job. Somehow the leadership at CBSA and CITT (Canadian International Trade Tribunal) have come to believe that it is their job to create legislation. They have taken a simple and clear section of the criminal code which was just a few sentences long and have created pages upon pages of rules regarding what type of knife law-abiding citizens are allowed to import into Canada. Most recently they created a radical change to their idea of what a centrifugally deployed folding knife is and have expanded their definition to include just about any folding knife. The law regarding centrifugal knives was initially put in place to stop Canadians from owning balisong knives, aka butterfly knives. The type of knife that some movies show gangsters flinging around for dramatic effect. Several years ago CBSA expanded that restriction widely, and now they have further expanded it to include the vast majority of folding knives.

You are probably aware that knife crime is not widespread in Canada, and homicides, where knives are used, are rarely done with folding knives, most often kitchen knives are used in the heat of a passionate crime. These CBSA changes are targeting a scapegoat and do not address any genuine problem in our society. Then, in the first week of this new year, CBSA introduces more widely restrictive changes. None of which will actually make Canada any safer from knife crime.

Their new “Customs Notice 18-10” has broadened the restriction to the point that any folding knife where the user pushes on some part of the blade, a thumb stud, or flipper tab, or anything attached to the blade and then gives a strong flick of the wrist is able to make the blade come out. Previously their policy was against any knife where a person could hold the handle and with a strong flick of the wrist be able to make a blade come out. That in itself is far beyond what the law was written to restrict but now ANY folding knife is conceivably restricted from importing into Canada. Their ruling says that if minimal force is applied, but there is no definition of minimal. Even if there was a definition of “minimal” this new ruling would still be BEYOND the Criminal Code.

Someone who wants to commit a knife crime will not order a knife to be imported from Sweden or Finland, wait 3 or 4 weeks for the knife to arrive and then commit the crime. That is ridiculous. They will grab the closest knife and sadly, get on with it. CBSA is hurting law-abiding citizens and attacking democracy. CBSA needs to stop this political agenda driven attack on innocent hobbyists and focus our tax dollars on combating terrorism and other such genuine threats.

I would VERY much like to have a meeting with you when you are next available in your constituency office so that I can explain why this should not be allowed to stand. This is not primarily about knives. The main problem here is that CBSA has taken it upon themselves to effectively write new federal legislation. This is something that cannot be allowed to stand in a democracy. It makes a farce of your office. Please take a stand against this action by CBSA.

Please contact me with a time and date that works for us to have a meeting where we can further discuss this attack on our democracy. In the meantime, please speak with other MP’s so that this issue does not fade away.

Best Regards,
Name
Address
ph:
E-mail:

Here's a sample letter you guys can copy, modify (if necessary), use and mail it to your MP and to the Minister of Public Safety, Honourable Ralph Goodale, etc...

I understand and respect how busy you are serving our constituency as a Member of Parliament so I will try to stay on point and not waste your time. Please do not see this as being discourteous.

CBSA (Canada Border Services Agency) is trying to take over at least part of your job. Somehow the leadership at CBSA and CITT (Canadian International Trade Tribunal) have come to believe that it is their job to create legislation. They have taken a simple and clear section of the criminal code which was just a few sentences long and have created pages upon pages of rules regarding what type of knife law-abiding citizens are allowed to import into Canada. Most recently they created a radical change to their idea of what a centrifugally deployed folding knife is and have expanded their definition to include just about any folding knife. The law regarding centrifugal knives was initially put in place to stop Canadians from owning balisong knives, aka butterfly knives. The type of knife that some movies show gangsters flinging around for dramatic effect. Several years ago CBSA expanded that restriction widely, and now they have further expanded it to include the vast majority of folding knives.

You are probably aware that knife crime is not widespread in Canada, and homicides, where knives are used, are rarely done with folding knives, most often kitchen knives are used in the heat of a passionate crime. These CBSA changes are targeting a scapegoat and do not address any genuine problem in our society. Then, in the first week of this new year, CBSA introduces more widely restrictive changes. None of which will actually make Canada any safer from knife crime.

Their new “Customs Notice 18-10” has broadened the restriction to the point that any folding knife where the user pushes on some part of the blade, a thumb stud, or flipper tab, or anything attached to the blade and then gives a strong flick of the wrist is able to make the blade come out. Previously their policy was against any knife where a person could hold the handle and with a strong flick of the wrist be able to make a blade come out. That in itself is far beyond what the law was written to restrict but now ANY folding knife is conceivably restricted from importing into Canada. Their ruling says that if minimal force is applied, but there is no definition of minimal. Even if there was a definition of “minimal” this new ruling would still be BEYOND the Criminal Code.

Someone who wants to commit a knife crime will not order a knife to be imported from Sweden or Finland, wait 3 or 4 weeks for the knife to arrive and then commit the crime. That is ridiculous. They will grab the closest knife and sadly, get on with it. CBSA is hurting law-abiding citizens and attacking democracy. CBSA needs to stop this political agenda driven attack on innocent hobbyists and focus our tax dollars on combating terrorism and other such genuine threats.

I would VERY much like to have a meeting with you when you are next available in your constituency office so that I can explain why this should not be allowed to stand. This is not primarily about knives. The main problem here is that CBSA has taken it upon themselves to effectively write new federal legislation. This is something that cannot be allowed to stand in a democracy. It makes a farce of your office. Please take a stand against this action by CBSA.

Please contact me with a time and date that works for us to have a meeting where we can further discuss this attack on our democracy. In the meantime, please speak with other MP’s so that this issue does not fade away.

Best Regards,
Name
Address
ph:
E-mail:

The petition is a great first move but as I have said in other threads we need a canadian group that mirrors the American kniferights.org.

A bunch of letters generally only gets a token response unless there is some weight behind them. Leaders need to feel that by their decision they will either gain or lose the support of a cohesive group. That group should be Canadian knife retailers, makers, collectors and hobbyists.

Also with today’s political correctness climate we should try to go the angle that not allowing one hand opening knives discriminates against those with arthritis or a disability that doesn’t let them have full function of their hands.

The money it woukd cost them in court to change this decision ensures nothing will be done unless they feel.

A) they will gain a whole large group’s support and loyalty.
B) there will be the consequence of that group turning against them if they do not act.

Best Regards,
Name
Address
ph:
E-mail:

I have already sent my modified version of this to my MP, the Prime Minister and the Minister of Public Safety. (I saw this on what i asume is your youtube channel) For all the good it will do.... But at least I tried.

The petition is a great first move but as I have said in other threads we need a canadian group that mirrors the American kniferights.org.

A bunch of letters generally only gets a token response unless there is some weight behind them. Leaders need to feel that by their decision they will either gain or lose the support of a cohesive group. That group should be Canadian knife retailers, makers, collectors and hobbyists.

Also with today’s political correctness climate we should try to go the angle that not allowing one hand opening knives discriminates against those with arthritis or a disability that doesn’t let them have full function of their hands.

The money it woukd cost them in court to change this decision ensures nothing will be done unless they feel.

A) they will gain a whole large group’s support and loyalty.
B) there will be the consequence of that group turning against them if they do not act.

How do you even start an organization like this?

I signed.

I also got a flipper In November,
It was opened by CBSA and completely disassembled, but I got it.

I have already sent my modified version of this to my MP, the Prime Minister and the Minister of Public Safety. (I saw this on what i asume is your youtube channel) For all the good it will do.... But at least I tried.
Thank you very much for your support! The YouTube channel is not mine, I'm just spreading the word.

Yes, they took it apart and partially put it together, the blade was wrapped separately and the
frame was assembled, but screws were loose.

That’s very ignorant of CBSA to do that.
Take someone’s knife apart that was bought because they don’t understand how it works or just to be a complete dickhead.
What an ass thing to do.

CBSA does stuff like that all the time. Try watching Border Security if you want to see how packages are handled by both the CBSA and US Customs.

It's probably better that they didn't try to put it back together. Easy to take stuff apart, not so easy to put it together properly. I would guess they were looking inside the handle to see if it was a switchblade.

I know there are already a few threads about this, but the more awareness we can generate the better. CBSA is essentially banning the importation of one handed opening pocket knives. Writing letters to your MP, the CSBA and the Canadian International Trading Tribunal (which passed the ruling) would all help. I have also started a petition and would really appreciate you guys signing it and passing it on. We are at 400 signatures so far.

The petition: https://www.change.org/p/harold-alb...m_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition

This article from Knifenews has more info: http://knifenews.com/canada-border-services-agency-seizing-one-handed-opening-pocket-knives/

Thanks y’all and God bless!
Will
signed.

We need to group up and get the conversation going. There is no end to this BS until we make one.

I had posted a reply to another post, that stated we need to have a knife rights org; like in the US. Because writing to out MP's etc. is futile. I asked what needs to be done to start this kind of organization, but I received no replies. I understand that it is up to us to get going, but I find this to be a common theme among the internet and Canadians. I also was hoping for input and someone else to get the ball rolling and then I would help out, as I am "new" here and felt that if I tried to get this going, I would not hold much trust in others.

So, being a long time knife and gun enthusiast, that is finding all my hobbies being whittled away by this constant overreaching of the unelected. I will start a new thread in hopes that some may chime in and help with this. But if I have to, I will start to look into this on my own and hope that others will follow.

Back