Petition concerning new Canadian importation laws

It won't be won as a "I wanna pocket knife" fight. The CBSA has stepped over its bounds time and again. So pressure needs to be put to reign it in. If successful, then great, but the wishes of a tiny minority that is easily marginalized are not even going to get on to the table. Right now they can claim every stopped flipper as an "attempt to smuggle illegal weapons" and when it comes to justifying budgets, that's all they need. Look how many there are to stop! We need more manpower to stop the rest! Hate to be a downer, but knives have nothing to do with it. Just collateral damage.

I had posted a reply to another post, that stated we need to have a knife rights org; like in the US. Because writing to out MP's etc. is futile. I asked what needs to be done to start this kind of organization, but I received no replies. I understand that it is up to us to get going, but I find this to be a common theme among the internet and Canadians. I also was hoping for input and someone else to get the ball rolling and then I would help out, as I am "new" here and felt that if I tried to get this going, I would not hold much trust in others.

So, being a long time knife and gun enthusiast, that is finding all my hobbies being whittled away by this constant overreaching of the unelected. I will start a new thread in hopes that some may chime in and help with this. But if I have to, I will start to look into this on my own and hope that others will follow.
I have no idea what to do. I think that's our main problem. If we had a large manufacturer of A/O and flippers in Canada this wouldn't have happened in the first place. They changed the "rules" at CBSA because its much easier than changing the criminal code of Canada. So is this really a legal fight? Its all very confusing and illogical. I mean, how can we be attempting to import prohibited knives when they don't meet the legal definition of a prohibited knife?:confused:o_O

Signed and donated. Not sure how much of a difference this will make given the current political climate here, but I'm optimistic and happy to take part!

Does anyone have any first hand experience of something being denied at the border recently?
I'm tempted to try to get one of those spyderco Lum tanto sprints.
I don't want to get into a return to sender situation. I emailed bladehq and they said they recommend shipping it too an American address I used with them in the past.

"We have been notified of some changes to the Canada customs as far as “flipper” knives are concerned. I would recommend shipping to a US address if you are able to."

So has anyone had any thumb stud, spydiehole type blades denied?
I wouldn't dare try a flipper tab opener at this point.

Thanks in advance.

So I just received emails from both CBSA and my local MP Ralph Goodale who is Minister of public safety.

Both replies were identical, word for word.

"The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) is responsible for effectively controlling the movement of weapons in order to ensure compliance with existing laws, regulations, and orders. The importation of goods listed in Tariff Item (TI) 9898.00.00 is prohibited unless an exemption in that tariff applies. Prohibited weapons are listed in TI 9898.00.00. According to the Criminal Code – subsection 84(1), prohibited weapons are defined as:

a) a knife that has a blade that opens automatically by gravity or centrifugal force or by hand pressure applied to a button, spring, or other device in or attached to the handle of the knife; or

b) any weapon, other than a firearm, that is prescribed to be a prohibited weapon.

A CITT decision Appeal No. AP-2017-012, T. LaPlante v. President of the CBSA regarding knives which open automatically by centrifugal force, was rendered on November 16, 2017. The statement of reasons of the CITT decision is explained in the decision document Appeal No. AP-2017-012.

The CITT decision determined that a centrifugal knife is one that has a blade that opens automatically by centrifugal force when the blade is released from the handle into the fully ejected and locked position with a simple and brisk outwardly flick of the wrist. It includes knives that require some preliminary or simultaneous minimal manipulation of either a flipper or other non-edged parts of the blade.

There are also situations when folding, assisted-opening, spring-assisted and ball bearing knives may be considered a prohibited weapon, if the blade, through wear and tear or alteration, can be fully opened by applying centrifugal force or gravity to the blade as per the CITT decision. If this is the case, these knives would fall within the definition of a prohibited weapon, and could be prohibited under TI 9898.00.00 unless an exemption in that TI applies. The jurisprudence has stated that in such cases, it is the capability and not the design of the knife that will determine whether or not it is a prohibited weapon. In some cases, knives are also designed to open automatically with centrifugal force as per the CITT decision and therefore would also be considered prohibited.

Not all folding knives are considered to be a prohibited weapon. Each importation of a knife will be evaluated on a case by case basis in order to determine its classification.

The CBSA applies the provisions of the Criminal Code when determining whether certain weapons can be imported into Canada. An amendment and repeal of Criminal Code provisions falls under the purview of the Department of Justice."

Goodale did say that he would forward my email to the Minister of Justice Jody Wison-Raybould who is apparently the person to whom our attempts at change should be directed.

Nice run around they gave you.:rolleyes:

Did anyone expect different?
If anything, bringing it to the attention of those in power will make it even worse..."Hey, this stupid Border Tribunal decision would make a great law for in the country! Let's change the law to show we're protecting people!!!"

Right now it is just a stupid, idiotic thing that only applies at the Border.
It could become a stupid, idiotic thing that applies across the country...yay!

Did anyone expect different?
If anything, bringing it to the attention of those in power will make it even worse..."Hey, this stupid Border Tribunal decision would make a great law for in the country! Let's change the law to show we're protecting people!!!"

Right now it is just a stupid, idiotic thing that only applies at the Border.
It could become a stupid, idiotic thing that applies across the country...yay!
Exactly! The minister of justice may decide we need to change the criminal code now to appease the CBSA and the CITT agenda.:poop:

Exactly! The minister of justice may decide we need to change the criminal code now to appease the CBSA and the CITT agenda.:poop:

Yep.
It is rare in Canada that laws regarding anything possibly construed as a weapon get made more lax.

Good news! MP Matt Jeneroux has sponsored an official, now approved, petition in the House of Commons. This holds much more weight than the one I have started. Please consider signing the official petition. Here is the link: https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/Petition/Details?Petition=e-1552 Note: You will need to confirm your signature by following the link sent to you after signing. Only then will your signature be verified. Thank you all, and God bless!

Good news! MP Matt Jeneroux has sponsored an official, now approved, petition in the House of Commons. This holds much more weight than the one I have started. Please consider signing the official petition. Here is the link: https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/Petition/Details?Petition=e-1552 Note: You will need to confirm your signature by following the link sent to you after signing. Only then will your signature be verified. Thank you all, and God bless!

As of now we've passed the threshold needed to get a reply from the House of Parliament! Make sure to keep spreading the word and sign it if you haven't yet, because the more votes we have, the more seriously it'll be taken. Keep up the good work, yall.

Luckily when things are shipped via USPS->Canada Post they only seem to get searched for even tagged for import tariffs 1/10 time or so. Still sucks to play russian roulette with knife orders though

as of right now, I am scared to order anything else, but my want list keeps growing, and Canadian retailers are increasing prices.

Back