Philosophy of carrying a knife?

Learning too what I like and consider important, it is a process. But starting to not be afraid to use what I have, not abuse, but still use for just plain cutting things because it needs to be cut. A couple of points of that education so far: Thinner is usually better, decent steel will do just fine, decent fit and finish, and a comfortable handle makes for less blisters and hot spots.

Hey guys just thought I’d throw out my thoughts on the topic of carrying a knife. Over the years I have owned several (probably a couple hundred) knives from kershaw to CRK to Borka and everything in between. I think that after all this time I’m coming to a conclusion that I didn’t expect would happen.

Seemingly searching for “the perfect knife” made me think looking higher in price would lead me closer to that. And in a way it did but at the same time led me astray. There was a long time where I thought that having the most premium super steel with the nicest materials and super solid lockup was going to fill that need to find the next knife. Many times I thought I had found the perfect knife but was hesitant to use it when the opportunity presented itself due to a few factors; price, collectability, and resale value (new vs like new vs used). So I would end up keeping the knife in my pocket and babying it so that I could then sell it without losing much money and have gotten to experience a more rare knife.

After all this time I started to realize that I was following other people’s opionions about what the best knife for me to use and to carry. Having the most premium steel meant more time sharpening, but more time in between sharpenings and less willingness to be used in the first place. While a “lesser” steel seemed more easily used and yet much more easily maintained but faster to dull. Effectively doing the job better than a more expensive knife due to the willingness to actually use it to cut things.

A few weeks ago, I ran a test on leathermans 420hc. I started out cutting paper cleanly and then cut cardboard until it would no longer reliably cut paper and started to tear through it (still a useable edge for most people), resulting in a surprising 118.875 feet of cardboard. I then timed myself sharpening the knife back to hair shaving sharp... it took me 4 minutes and 37 seconds. And I then realized that for me knife steel in the real world is not really that important.

Having had knives range from $15 to $900 I started trying to find the sweet spot for the things I find myself being comfortable using while having all the materials I like. I enjoy titanium handles, a good blade steel that holds its edge decently long (about a month of my use at a minimum) but isn’t going to keep me on the stones for more than 10-15 minutes. Warranty of the product matters to me more now as I dwindle my collection down as well. For me the price point can not exceed $215 and usually won’t go below $150 if I am going to really use it.

Think about all the time you’ve spent researching knives, looking up reviews, and you find someone who points out something they don’t like. Which then makes you predominately focus on that one dislike, taking away the joy that the knife brought before hand. When in reality it may not have bothered you at all before.

All in all, it is kind of sad to be slowly coming to the reality of a “perfect” carry. For me I’ve settled on something that makes me happy to carry, doesn’t break the bank, and cuts really well. It may not be something that everyone would enjoy and use but that’s ok. I like knowing that I’m not afraid to use what I have and that while I use it I will enjoy it the entire time...

In short (thank you by the way for sticking around if you’re still here) I think it’s more important to carry a knife that YOU like, and that YOU enjoy looking at and using, regardless of other people’s opinions and needs. Have a great day y’all and Happy Halloween!!!

"Many times I thought I had found the perfect knife but was hesitant to use it when the opportunity presented itself due to a few factors; price, collectability, and resale value (new vs like new vs used). So I would end up keeping the knife in my pocket and babying it so that I could then sell it without losing much money and have gotten to experience a more rare knife."

This has happened to me so many times it's not even funny. But now I do have a kick ass collection.

I found my most perfect knife to be at $150-$250 range, close to 4 inch blade (3.5 to 4.1) and I do like CPM 20CV M390 and S35VN a lot.

So now my pocket carry depending on a day: Coldsteel SR1, Spyderco Endura, Benchmade Barrage 581, ZT 0452 and LionSteel KUR.

The one I love the most: Lionsteel KUR ($185)

Primarily, self defense. Secondarily, just to use to cut open a letter, box or whatever. Carry a karambit for the former and a folder for the latter; both at the same time.

In fact, I just used my karambit in justifyable SD this evening. Drunk & disorderly and battery charges filed against the assailant, who was arrested.

Guy was itching for a fight. Was minding my own business, eating a salad and drinking a beer at a local sports bar while watching the post-game interviews after the Niners game. He sat next to me and pushed against me. I moved and asked if he had enough room. He moved in even closer and asked me if I wanted to fight. Told him no, I didn't want to fight and wished him a Happy Halloween. He then apologized and appeared to let it go but then I called 911 to report him as a possible "drunk and disorderly" person under PC 647(f).

Was actually on the phone w/local 911 when I was attacked and that was probably why I was attacked. Knocked me on my ass off a tall stool seat and the phone out of my hand but as I fell I instinctively drew my small Bastinelli/Marcaida Pika karambit. It only has a 1" blade but it's razor sharp and still cut him w/it thru the heavy jacket that he was wearing. No time for any fancy blocks or counter moves; could have killed him if I did.

No charges filed against me because I was in reasonable fear of "great bodily injury" as a result of the attack. The assailant weighed at least 250# and only weigh 150. They also have a 911 tape of the call and incident while it was in progress.

PD arrived just a few mins after I was attacked. ID'd myself as a retired LEO and described my side of the incident. Had a least 5 witnesses (including another retired LEO who was known to some of the responding officers) who supported my version of the incident.

The knife was confiscated as evidence as I expected would happen. Took awhile for the supervising officer to ask for it. Didn't volunteer it but gave it up promptly when he asked for it. I expect it to be returned to me eventually (who knows when?) but I have another. Just be aware that if you use a weapon (any weapon) in SD or otherwise, that it will automatically be seized as evidence. So, don't ever carry your favorite knife (or gun) as your EDC.

Fell directly on my ass on a hard floor. My ass hurts more now that it did immediately after the incident; probably because I'm now coming down off of the adrenaline rush. By coincidence, I have a doctor's appt tomorrow and, if still hurts then, I'm going to ask for x-rays of my pelvis (and my left elbow which also hurts) and report any fractures to the supervising officer.

PS: Some will probably say that it would have been better if I carried a gun (which can do legally) but a gun would have not prevented the attack because it was so sudden and he was so close to me and, even if I had drawn a gun after falling to the floor, it would have probably just resulted in chaos (even after I ID's myself as a retired LEO). It would have been even worse if I actually shot him in response and, even if I drew the gun but didn't shoot him, they probably would still have confiscated my gun.

So, better a knife in this and similar situations IMO.

PPS: I was also carrying a 4" long Spyderco fluted Ti Millie at the time but there was not enough time to draw it and I would have hated to had that confiscated in the process because it is a very special knife. However, this incident just goes to prove (at least to me) that if you are going to carry a knife for SD, better to carry a fixed blade knife for that purpose than a folder.

BTW, there was no discussion of whether I was legally carrying the karambit -- ie., whether it was concealed or not -- before I deployed it. Hence, no such charges were filed against me and no way any such charges can be filed against me after the fact, unless I admit to concealed carry which of course I would not do.

o_O

Primarily, self defense. Secondarily, just to use to cut open a letter, box or whatever. Carry a karambit for the former and a folder for the latter; both at the same time.

In fact, I just used my karambit in justifyable SD this evening. Drunk & disorderly and battery charges filed against the assailant, who was arrested.

Guy was itching for a fight. Was minding my own business, eating a salad and drinking a beer at a local sports bar while watching the post-game interviews after the Niners game. He sat next to me and pushed against me. I moved and asked if he had enough room. He moved in even closer and asked me if I wanted to fight. Told him no, I didn't want to fight and wished him a Happy Halloween. He then apologized and appeared to let it go but then I called 911 to report him as a possible "drunk and disorderly" person under PC 647(f).

Was actually on the phone w/local 911 when I was attacked and that was probably why I was attacked. Knocked me on my ass off a tall stool seat and the phone out of my hand but as I fell I instinctively drew my small Bastinelli/Marcaida Pika karambit. It only has a 1" blade but it's razor sharp and still cut him w/it thru the heavy jacket that he was wearing. No time for any fancy blocks or counter moves; could have killed him if I did.

No charges filed against me because I was in reasonable fear of "great bodily injury" as a result of the attack. The assailant weighed at least 250# and only weigh 150. They also have a 911 tape of the call and incident while it was in progress.

PD arrived just a few mins after I was attacked. ID'd myself as a retired LEO and described my side of the incident. Had a least 5 witnesses (including another retired LEO who was known to some of the responding officers) who supported my version of the incident.

The knife was confiscated as evidence as I expected would happen. Took awhile for the supervising officer to ask for it. Didn't volunteer it but gave it up promptly when he asked for it. I expect it to be returned to me eventually (who knows when?) but I have another. Just be aware that if you use a weapon (any weapon) in SD or otherwise, that it will automatically be seized as evidence. So, don't ever carry your favorite knife (or gun) as your EDC.

Fell directly on my ass on a hard floor. My ass hurts more now that it did immediately after the incident; probably because I'm now coming down off of the adrenaline rush. By coincidence, I have a doctor's appt tomorrow and, if still hurts then, I'm going to ask for x-rays of my pelvis (and my left elbow which also hurts) and report any fractures to the supervising officer.

PS: Some will probably say that it would have been better if I carried a gun (which can do legally) but a gun would have not prevented the attack because it was so sudden and he was so close to me and, even if I had drawn a gun after falling to the floor, it would have probably just resulted in chaos (even after I ID's myself as a retired LEO). It would have been even worse if I actually shot him in response and, even if I drew the gun but didn't shoot him, they probably would still have confiscated my gun.

So, better a knife in this and similar situations IMO.

PPS: I was also carrying a 4" long Spyderco fluted Ti Millie at the time but there was not enough time to draw it and I would have hated to had that confiscated in the process because it is a very special knife. However, this incident just goes to prove (at least to me) that if you are going to carry a knife for SD, better to carry a fixed blade knife for that purpose than a folder.

BTW, there was no discussion of whether I was legally carrying the karambit -- ie., whether it was concealed or not -- before I deployed it. Hence, no such charges were filed against me and no way any such charges can be filed against me after the fact, unless I admit to concealed carry which of course I would not do.

Wow! What a story! Thanks God you are fine and you were able to deploy the self-defense tool in a timely one-second/split-second fashion...

I do usually hate to say I carry knife for self-defense because I am not a Ninja and just a have a basic training that allows me to use knives and swords - something I learned on my own.

I usually tell anyone who asks me what the best self-defense knife to go and get a Zig Zauer or Glock 40 caliber or at least 9mm with hollow head bullets. In this century unless you are trained to use a knife - knife for self defense is not a good idea.

But again I carry my knives to open boxes, letters, cut cake at the office at work (does freak some people out if I pull my ColdSteel 4Max) or cut an apple, or wires or other lunch items...
But it attacked I want to be sure of one thing: I can deploy it out of my right pocket and open it and have it in a defensive or offensive hold in my fist within 1 second...

LionSteel Kur on ball bearings, Benchmade Barrage 581 or Coldsteel Sr1 or 4 Max does satisfies those requirements. Deploying 4 max is a bit tougher, super huge knife.

This is my EDC:

Al Mar Eagle HD
Leatherman Wave +
Bit extender and bits
Duct tape
"Survival" cards

The philosophy is as follows:

- Simplicity
- Modularity
- Adaptability

There are very few situations that couldn't be made easier with this EDC.

The Al Mar Eagle HD is my favourite folding knife, VG-10 is more than enough for most use, it's solid yet thin and light, and most definitely a user!!

XJEKDFTCuybge3dK9

RSp1uEPyeJfv7hYF7

There is no perfect knife. Knife materials and designs change and evovle all the time, so do personal interests and preferences. What you think as perfect today may not be so tomorrow. For me, I just enjoy what I have NOW, and if I lose interest in a knife, I move it.

image.jpeg The
Hey guys just thought I’d throw out my thoughts on the topic of carrying a knife. Over the years I have owned several (probably a couple hundred) knives from kershaw to CRK to Borka and everything in between. I think that after all this time I’m coming to a conclusion that I didn’t expect would happen.

Seemingly searching for “the perfect knife” made me think looking higher in price would lead me closer to that. And in a way it did but at the same time led me astray. There was a long time where I thought that having the most premium super steel with the nicest materials and super solid lockup was going to fill that need to find the next knife. Many times I thought I had found the perfect knife but was hesitant to use it when the opportunity presented itself due to a few factors; price, collectability, and resale value (new vs like new vs used). So I would end up keeping the knife in my pocket and babying it so that I could then sell it without losing much money and have gotten to experience a more rare knife.

After all this time I started to realize that I was following other people’s opionions about what the best knife for me to use and to carry. Having the most premium steel meant more time sharpening, but more time in between sharpenings and less willingness to be used in the first place. While a “lesser” steel seemed more easily used and yet much more easily maintained but faster to dull. Effectively doing the job better than a more expensive knife due to the willingness to actually use it to cut things.

A few weeks ago, I ran a test on leathermans 420hc. I started out cutting paper cleanly and then cut cardboard until it would no longer reliably cut paper and started to tear through it (still a useable edge for most people), resulting in a surprising 118.875 feet of cardboard. I then timed myself sharpening the knife back to hair shaving sharp... it took me 4 minutes and 37 seconds. And I then realized that for me knife steel in the real world is not really that important.

Having had knives range from $15 to $900 I started trying to find the sweet spot for the things I find myself being comfortable using while having all the materials I like. I enjoy titanium handles, a good blade steel that holds its edge decently long (about a month of my use at a minimum) but isn’t going to keep me on the stones for more than 10-15 minutes. Warranty of the product matters to me more now as I dwindle my collection down as well. For me the price point can not exceed $215 and usually won’t go below $150 if I am going to really use it.

Think about all the time you’ve spent researching knives, looking up reviews, and you find someone who points out something they don’t like. Which then makes you predominately focus on that one dislike, taking away the joy that the knife brought before hand. When in reality it may not have bothered you at all before.

All in all, it is kind of sad to be slowly coming to the reality of a “perfect” carry. For me I’ve settled on something that makes me happy to carry, doesn’t break the bank, and cuts really well. It may not be something that everyone would enjoy and use but that’s ok. I like knowing that I’m not afraid to use what I have and that while I use it I will enjoy it the entire time...

In short (thank you by the way for sticking around if you’re still here) I think it’s more important to carry a knife that YOU like, and that YOU enjoy looking at and using, regardless of other people’s opinions and needs. Have a great day y’all and Happy Halloween!!!

My EDC's are not hard to sharpen, and they have superior edge retention. The William Henry B-15 Titan in ZDP-189 at 67HRC sharpens easily on Shapton Al2O3 water stones. The Darrel Ralph custom MADD MAXX in CPM S-90-V sharpens easily on Venev Diamond "stones".

When I started collecting watches I had a old watchmaker tell me. If you're to scared to walk down the street without it getting stolen, or if it got broken can you easily replace it? If the answer is no then it's too much watch for you.

I feel it's the same with knives. If you can't replace it, or you're too scared to use it then it's too much knife for you.
I'm guilty of this myself. I bought a used William Henry and I can't bring myself to even cut paper lol.
I believe everyone has a limit. I know my limit keeps going up every year. But I also know mine is pretty low @ $200. Any more expensive and I can't bring myself to use it. But there is probably some crazy guy out there prying a paint can open with a $1000 knife

Ergonomics are more important than the newest blade steel. So are blade geometry and heat treatment.

Give me a SAK, a modern locking folder and a fixed blade. The SAK gives me a dress/travel knife.
The modern folder is for EDC and the FB for field/camping use.

For example:

1. Victorinox Cadet
2. Benchmade Griptilian
3. Benchmade 162 Bushcrafter.

With a three knife combo you have most everything covered.

Adding a multi-tool is a plus. So are an axe and folding saw.

Last edited:
If I had to articulate a philosophy of choosing what kind of knife to carry, it’d probably be something like “Pick a knife style and size (thumb stud opener, flipper, large or small, etc) that’s appropriate for your intended needs and uses, buy the most appropriate one that you like, can afford and stick with it.” Owning more knives than you carry at one time is collecting, which is a totally different subject than carrying. I’ve now been carrying one knife exclusively for >10 months and that exercise has made me realize that my collection of ~2 dozen folders is totally unnecessary for carrying purposes.

The anecdote above about having a knife confiscated by law enforcement was a real eye-opener for me. That story speaks volumes in favor of carrying modestly priced knives--like for instance a Spyderco Endura instead of a Shiro 111. If I ever had an Endura taken from me, I wouldn’t much care. If my Shiro 111, 95T or one of my Damascus CRKs ever got grabbed, my agony would know no bounds. That story now has me reconsidering my high end/high price preference and seriously considering downgrading into far more modestly priced knives.

I carry whatever knife I like. (plain nothing fancy multiblade traditionals for the most part.)
I don't have anyone to "impress" and I feel no need to "impress" anyone.

I consider a knife a tool. I never felt an urge to impress anyone with one of my wrenches, ratchet and socket, file, chisel, hand plane, or ratchet strap, either.

I've noticed over the decades that friends who had fancy stuff and showed it off ... lets just say their fancy stuff had a tendency to "grow legs and walk away" when they were at work or something. (to include their fancy vehicles in the parking lot.)

OP, I consider myself fortunate to have knives that I carry, use, and enjoy. They range in cost from Opinel to Sebenza. I have always leaned toward traditional slip joints and mostly hang out in the Traditional SubForum. I am also quite fine with modern takes on traditional patterns. Look for quality, value, and try to match what I carry to my expected uses in a given day - working in an office, around the house and yard, kitchen/food, camp/hike/backpack, minimal whittling, et cetera, et cetera. My reality is that an Alox Farmer or Cadet would usually be all I need, for cutting and their added versatility, but I enjoy variety. Kitchen knives (mostly Shun) for daily cooking and food prep.

There is an element of having the ability and discretion to have nice items that I could not earlier in life, but have now earned. I generally budget, then get something I want when I set aside enough. And take care of what I own. I am not conspicuous in how I carry or use, respectful but also not overly concerned by the opinions of people who are not me. I have pretty much dialed in these preferences, and have knives to enjoy for the rest of my life.

Another philosophy is to be positive on this site, pursue topics of interest, read posts by others that may have different uses and opinions, learn, enjoy, and share with like-minded people.

B6077EC1-3A8F-424C-813E-6AE3D7C172A8.jpeg A7E46931-9DDA-4C77-AF9F-16C251B4CB3C.jpeg 5039C21C-5B13-4E18-A7BB-3B36B6721669.jpeg

Last edited:
For a work EDC that I open boxes with and some use carving up plastic
I use a 117 dollar Spyderco Lil Native. I love one handed use and the compression
lock is ideal for that. The blade came perfectly ground in S30V and works perfectly
for 3 weeks or so then I sharpen on the sharpmaker. This takes 3 minutes!
Even though the Lil Native has only 2 inches of sharpened edge it does everything
I need. I love the cutting performance, handling, ease of edge maintenance, and
small size and weight. Even though it slices well, it has a decent spine and a strong
enough tip. It also does not trigger muggles!
For me it is the best EDC knife I have ever owned. It needs nothing.

I have lots of other knives of course. And on the weekends everything from a Police 3 or 4,
benchmade infidel, ZT 0452 or 0462, or Native Chief may be in my pocket.
Most used weekend blade for cutting? Bentobox blue scaled M390 Para 2. It still does
not need sharpened!!!
I really prefer large knives. But I discovered how nice a wicked sharp slicey small
one is...and it was a bit of a surprise to me. And S30V works perfectly for EDC.

Back