Phosphorus Bronze Shim Stock Source

Hello Folks,

I’m just starting to dabble into making slipjoint knives and I’m having an incredibly difficult time trying to source .005” thick, 1/32” ID bronze washers. I can find them with 1/8” ID, but I really would like to use 1/32” as my pivot.

I’m willing to make my own, I just need some direction on sourcing the correct shim stock and recommendations for a decent stamp and die set?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bobby

Yes, I want the ID to be 3/32". I just can't seem to find a supplier? But if I can make them I will. I was just interested in sourcing good shim stock and hearing folks processes on stamping their own washers.

Last edited:
you wrote 1/32", that's .032...
but you want a 3/32 pivot, correct?
contact RB Johnson 320-558-6128
he sells folder parts, I get my washers from him, they are .005 or .10 thick
or ask him to mail his catalog paperwork, if you ask nicely he might send you a sample.

also the knifemaker supply places sell washers - https://usaknifemaker.com/shop-categories/folding-knife-parts/washers-and-bushings.html

You are correct! I wrote 1/32" when I meant to write 3/32" ... Thank you for helping me ... from myself :( !
I really appreciate the lead of RB Johnson. I'll call him today.

There's a lot of varying information out there on pivot mechanisms. Some people swear by the Bose method of bushings; while others reyly on the old school method of just peeing a 3/32" or 1/8" pin.

I'm going to try my hand at as many methods as I can, and see which one works for me and my equipment.

Thanks Again,

Bobby

These folks only make washers and shims: https://www.bokers.com/

The array of materials and sizes they offer is staggering, and they have exactly what you want. I've worked with them a few times in the past (non-knife work stuff).

Mcmaster Carr has brass shims in the spec you want, but not bronze. Any reason brass wouldn't work? I'd be concerned that a .005" thick bronze shim might shatter with side load, which may be why it's hard to find one less than .010" thick.

These folks only make washers and shims: https://www.bokers.com/

The array of materials and sizes they offer is staggering, and they have exactly what you want. I've worked with them a few times in the past (non-knife work stuff).

Mcmaster Carr has brass shims in the spec you want, but not bronze. Any reason brass wouldn't work? I'd be concerned that a .005" thick bronze shim might shatter with side load, which may be why it's hard to find one less than .010" thick.

I'll check out that site today ... thanks for the source.

A lot of slipjoint makers use bronze washers

I'll check out that site today ... thanks for the source.

A lot of slipjoint makers use bronze washers

No problem. I'm still learning, so am curious about brass v/s bronze. Since bronze is significantly harder, it probably wears better than brass, although I really have no idea.

Stacy mentioned McMaster Carr above. They sell phosphor bronze in sheets: https://www.mcmaster.com/9020k11

At $15 for a 6'' X 50'' X 0.005'' sheet, maybe it's worth the effort to cut/punch/grind your own?

It is pretty easy to punch washers from thin soft metal sheet. Just punch the inner hole first and then punch the washer out. A cheap disc punch used for jewelry does it easily ($20 ebay). You can drill a 3/32 hole with a carbide but and make a punch from round W1/2 stock to add the smaller hole to the set. For stuff .005" thin, it will take almost nothing to punch them. If you plan on making hundreds of thewashers, you can drill a 3/32" hole in the center of the larger punch and add a short pilot that will center on the washer center hole. For smaller quantities, just center it by eye looking down through the die plate and then put in the punch and hit it.

As for brass vs bronze - the way I remember reading the phosphor bronze washers are self lubricating.
Thanks for the thread,I think I will make my own next time.

If I make a punch I just want a cylinder the diameter I want the washer and grind a flat bottom with sharp corners (with a pilot , like that idea), right?

You need a punch and a die. You can make one, but for less money you can buy a set.

It is pretty easy to punch washers from thin soft metal sheet. Just punch the inner hole first and then punch the washer out. A cheap disc punch used for jewelry does it easily ($20 ebay). You can drill a 3/32 hole with a carbide but and make a punch from round W1/2 stock to add the smaller hole to the set. For stuff .005" thin, it will take almost nothing to punch them. If you plan on making hundreds of thewashers, you can drill a 3/32" hole in the center of the larger punch and add a short pilot that will center on the washer center hole. For smaller quantities, just center it by eye looking down through the die plate and then put in the punch and hit it.

Thanks Stacy ... this seems pretty doable. I appreciate all the thought you put into this.

Back