Photos of Kamis at work on GH Khukuris

Here are some pretty neat photos of kamis at work producing some GH khukuris. Lalit took these and sent them to me in the last shipment. I'll only post three to keep the bandwidth low (I have a cable modem, and am often unitentionally being inconsiderate). If the pics don't post, I'll try again.

Forging a GH blade:
forging.jpg

Tempering a GH blade:
Tempering.jpg

Inlaying a GH blade:
inlaying.jpg

I'll post a better series on my website soon. Can anybody post some good info on exactly what the kamis are doing/how they are doing it in these pictures? I am certainly not an expert by any means in this regard.

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

[This message has been edited by Craig Gottlieb (edited 07 July 1999).]

Craig,

I can see the picutures. The pictures are rather dark and I can only really tell what he is doing in the second pictures.

Looks like his hammering out the blade in the 1. Quelching in 2. Applying the inlaying in 3.

I like the way he uses his toes in 3. This must take a bit of practice. I don't think it would be very comfortable if I was doing it.

Will

Will,
You've almost got it right. In the first picture the Kami is cutting off a chunk of spring. By the size, I'd say that after some more stretching, he'll devide it again and use the material for the Chakma and Karda.

Picture #2: Tempering the edge.

Picture #3: Cutting the groves for the brass wire inlay.

Lets have some more pics.
Dan

If you are looking for a more detailed description of some thing let me know.

[This message has been edited by Dan K (edited 11 July 1999).]

Dan: I don't want to post too many here, as I am trying to be somewhat considerate to Bladeforum's server space. However, I have posted a series on my website at www.cystern.com/khukuri/shopphotos.htm

I did some research since I posted the pictures here on the forum (along with Peter, my knife-making pal), and I think I have pretty good detailed descriptions now. I tried to put them in a rough sequence.

I hadn't thought that the Kami in the first pic was cutting some spring for use on the chakma and karda, but that makes sense.

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

Craig,

Great photos. The pics posted on your web-site are like a "Birth of a Khukuri" mini-series. I too would like to see more photos posted from time to time. A picture is worth a thousand words and answers a hundred questions that words can't describe.

There's just something mystical about a hand hammered blade. I can't help but wonder what type of magic the Kamis could produce with some of our modern technology at their disposal. The mind boggles.

Am looking forward to my Panawal getting here.

Blackdog

------------------
When the world is at peace, a gentleman keeps his sword by his side.......
Sun-Tzu 400 BC

Blackdog: I think you should have your Panawal in today's mail. The other guys who ordered theirs already received them. It is a pleasure to offer this design, as I believe that it's the only genuine pin-and-scale handled khukuri on the market. One of the reasons I had the kamis engrave the Nepali letters for "GH" on the base of the blade is so that owners will not suffer the slings and arrows of other people's jealousy when they see a Panawal in action. Let us know how you like it (I am pleased you like the mirror finish - I am now addicted to polishing).

As for the "magic" behind the kamis' skill - it is a combination of unmatched professionalism and skill. They deliver an excellent tool at an excellent price. No rubbing the blades on magic stones - they just produce high quality khukuris that will go the distance.

Incidentally, I really believe that if "modern" blade making techniques were introduced into their shops (in the form of more modern tools that accomplish the same thing that their tools accomplish, only a bit faster), the quality would actually decrease. Besides, I think (as you do) that their techniques add a character to the GH khukuris that is conspicously absent from production knives.

Please don't take the above as an attempt to be a braggart - I am just proud to be involved with such an awesome tradition. The GH khukuris have really nothing to do with me and everything to do with the masters that make them.

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

Gotta agree with Craig on that one. I haven't tried any GH khurkris yet but I wouldn't want any modern technology touching my HI khurkris. The HI kamis at shop 2 got ahold of an electric pencil once and the results were less than pleasing!!! The market is full of machine made knives and while many of them are excellant blades none of them have the "soul" of my hand forged khurkris.

Craig, I may be incorrect so feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but I think that the kamis beieve that while excessive polishing of the blade looks nice, it can actually damage the temper of the blade.

Mike

Jaeger: you are correct. If not polished CORRECTLY, the temper can be degraded. Here's how: if the blade gets hot enough during polishing, it will definitely affect the temper - the edge will get to hard, the backbone will get too hard - I'm not sure of the mechanics (better ask Cliff Stamp), but the heat of polishing can definitely be a problem.

Here's what I do to avoid messing with the temper: I use an ultra fine cloth polishing wheel coated with white rouge. I never polish for more than 30 seconds at a time. As a result, the blade only gets a little warm (even less warm than if you'd left the khukuri in the sun for an hour). And luckily, the khukuris are so thick that they act as a heat sink - it takes a lot of rubbing to heat those babies up.

I do two finishes: a mirror polish for those who want their khukuri to look nice and shiney out of the box. Then, for the hard users, I often do a satin finish - it is a finish that can take more abuse without showing surface abrasion.

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

Fellow Forumites,

I happen to agree with all of the posts on this topic. The hand working of the Khukuri, from start to finish, is something that I would not want to see changed, ever! It's the reason I own one and can't wait for the second to arrive. They are real and pure and honest. Each one is made with one of us in mind and is done so with the pride of a true craftsman. To change the methods would be loss for all concerned.

When I mentioned modern technology in my earlier posting, it was only to ask an open-ended question and to let my imagination run wild for a bit. The Kamis make their awesome blades with traditional materials and methods. Now ask yourself this question:

What type of fantasy blade (knife, sword, battle axe, etc.) would you have them make for you if:

(1) There could be only one.
(2) They could combine their skills with any of the modern metals, composites, and handle materials of today.
(3) The only limitation is your imagination.

Remember, you can use this Blade to slay dragons, conqure distant lands, or clear out that old tree in the back yard. After all, it's your dream.

Blackdog

------------------
When the world is at peace, a gentleman keeps his sword by his side.......
Sun-Tzu 400 BC

Craig,

Careful with that polishing wheel. The cloth can and have grabbed hold of knives and thrown them. I personally know people who have injured themselves this way.

Will

Will: you got that right. I make sure to keep the upper edge (whatever edge is facing up) well away from the wheel surface. Also, I avoid the tip until the very end of each polishing job. I've accidentally "blessed"
smile.gif
some of the GH khukuris while polishing them by hand - I definitely don't plan on losing a finger or have a khukuri go flying across the room.

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

Back