Photos! Post your CPK photos here!

Last year sucked with a freak snow storm early in October
NwPf8YA.jpg

This year wasn't much better, October snow set record of 6" last Friday, but the tree was cleaned up with a little help from my big chopper.
uiLsqz9.jpg

The knife or the ammo? I think I'm gonna pick up another FK2, I think I like the handle better on it than the DEK.
The ammo, the price of ammo has gone through the roof!
I saw junk 9mm and 5.56 selling at or over .65 a piece instead of the 15 to 20 cents that it'd been at for a while. This ammo scare/shortage has prices higher than I've seen before.
I'm thinking of selling some off because it'd pay for what I end up keeping, but, I know I'd just spend it on knives. Now that I'm thinking about it, it seems like a good idea.

I'm glad that you said that about the FK2 and the DEK. A lot of the guys who bought the DEK seem very happy with it and I almost jumped on it but I have an FK2 and am so happy with that knife that I talked myself out of the DEK. I'm sure I'll get my hands on a DEK at some point but I'm not going to rush it, especially if that new Amazon HDFK gets released anytime soon.

The ammo, the price of ammo has gone through the roof!
I saw junk 9mm and 5.56 selling at or over .65 a piece instead of the 15 to 20 cents that it'd been at for a while. This ammo scare/shortage has prices higher than I've seen before.
I'm thinking of selling some off because it'd pay for what I end up keeping, but, I know I'd just spend it on knives. Now that I'm thinking about it, it seems like a good idea.

I'm glad that you said that about the FK2 and the DEK. A lot of the guys who bought the DEK seem very happy with it and I almost jumped on it but I have an FK2 and am so happy with that knife that I talked myself out of the DEK. I'm sure I'll get my hands on a DEK at some point but I'm not going to rush it, especially if that new Amazon HDFK gets released anytime soon.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the DEK but the handle on the FK2 fills the hand a little better for what I use the knife for. I’ll take any extra ammo you want to sell if it’s a decent price!

3 favourites in the kitchen. More common about them than one would presume. Wood looks way better in person than the pics show. Couldn’t get the blades and the handles to look good at the same time. Forgive me. Sucks to suck.

View attachment 1445532

I’ve had my eye on Robert Erickson’s work. What steel did he use for this one? He seems to work with every available steel - in contrast to most makers that specialize in one or two. Dunno if he always sends blades out for treatment - I suppose he must? That’s been a bit of a head scratcher for me... Definitely very nice/clean work.

the DEK handle is designed to fit comfortably close to the body and therefore is smaller and not as bulbous as the FK. Although they are similar in dimensions, they are completely different knives designed for different applications. So, obviously, everyone needs both.

the DEK handle is designed to fit comfortably close to the body and therefore is smaller and not as bulbous as the FK. Although they are similar in dimensions, they are completely different knives designed for different applications. So, obviously, everyone needs both.

I’ll eventually pick up another DEK in double black. I’d just prefer the ammo over the DEK right now!

I’ve had my eye on Robert Erickson’s work. What steel did he use for this one? He seems to work with every available steel - in contrast to most makers that specialize in one or two. Dunno if he always sends blades out for treatment - I suppose he must? That’s been a bit of a head scratcher for me... Definitely very nice/clean work.
Robert does a lot of his own HT. In fact he did a clay treatment on two tantos of mine to produce nice hamon effects.

He sends out to Peters for some of them if he can't do the optimum heat treat himself. But he has been working on his skills in that regard and I think is heat treating a lot more in house than he used to.

And now I’m wanting it again.
I haven’t picked up a knife yet that has the L. A. stamp on it that I haven’t loved, I’m sure the DEK will keep the streak alive.

This is his hunter pattern in 3V which I ordered custom. As far as I know he’s still using PHT. It’s a knife I use for any meat that I intend to contact bone and it’s held up very well.

The handle materials may not be everyone’s taste but grey and black is kinda my thin.

The other two are AEB-L. The one from Nathan is done the way he did his own, vs the common finish. And the paring knife is a custom as well, razor thin and incredibly sharp. They are all kinda babied to be honest. Only used as intended, washed and put away immediately. No one but me uses them.

My fiancé uses a paring knife and Santoku from a local maker, North Arm Knives in S35VN and they have held up amazing considering how she abuses them. By far the most abused knives in the house. They are probably both in the bottom of the sink 3x a day.

Last edited:
Back