Photos! Post your CPK photos here!

All DEK'd Out

zTQyGeK.jpg

From left to right(top Photo)

ECAM, African Blackwood, Cocobolo, Osage Orange, and Double Black Canvas. All D3V

Shout out to the CPK Crew for producing another "Fantastic" offering

R88ZZdb.jpg

Wow! Beautiful set. Congrats Tom. :thumbsup::)

I'm curious. Could you rank them? In your eyes, which one of those look the best to you in person?

Edit to add: I looked at all of them (obviously) and I have my own thoughts on this, but I would value your thoughts on it as well.

No one asked me but it is my job to answer to almost anything and everything :D I think that you have some of the most scrumptious African Blackwood and the way which you bring it to life is très magnifique (weird, I just made you into a French chef!) but I think that your heart is into this new Osage. Know this: the day when you run outta that ABW of yours, I will be mourning that day!

No one asked me but it is my job to answer to almost anything and everything :D I think that you have some of the most scrumptious African Blackwood and the way which you bring it to life is très magnifique (weird, I just made you into a French chef!) but I think that your heart is into this new Osage. Know this: the day when you run outta that ABW of yours, I will be mourning that day!

I ran out of that really premo African Blackwood with this project. I've been sitting on the stuff for years and years. I have some more that are smaller pieces that will be suitable for skinners or folders but this was it for the big pieces. My stash of the really good stuff is now exhausted and I can't get it anymore, it isn't available.

I ran out of that really premo African Blackwood with this project. I've been sitting on the stuff for years and years. I have some more that are smaller pieces that will be suitable for skinners or folders but this was it for the big pieces. My stash of the really good stuff is now exhausted and I can't get it anymore, it isn't available.

I'm calling dibs as consolation prize. Staking my claim, here and now: post # 8210 ;)

I'm curious. Could you rank them? In your eyes, which one of those look the best to you in person?

Edit to add: I looked at all of them (obviously) and I have my own thoughts on this, but I would value your thoughts on it as well.

They are all beautiful, However here would be my ranking

1. DEK 1 with Osage Orange, when I look at the markings on the Butt it shows a beautiful streaking that should progress (lengthen) with usage and age
EDIT: The Osage Orange also has a translucent appearance when viewed at an angle in the sun

2. The Cocobolo and African Blackwood, I would rate a Push (Although the African Blackwood is also very Streaky)

The Cocobolo may have the most Unified (both scales have very similar markings or streaking on both sides)

Tom

Last edited:
Wood? African Blackwood, by a mile..
for me. Gone. Sadly.

Tri rags ain't too shabby..

Rushed pic..swedge just landed. So happy.

Thanks Nathan! And thank you. Jo for the coordinating and all my scale requests..you guys rock.

These are awesome. Let mum know she did raise a genius...I've yet to see the evil..

Although, there is that whole Boot Dagger thing...:)

20210223_113603.jpg

Wood? African Blackwood, by a mile..
for me. Gone. Sadly.

Tri rags ain't too shabby..

Rushed pic..swedge just landed. So happy.

Thanks Nathan! And thank you. Jo for the coordinating and all my scale requests..you guys rock.

These are awesome. Let mum know she did raise a genius...I've yet to see the evil..

Although, there is that whole Boot Dagger thing...:)

View attachment 1515221

I am hoping for African blackwood or cocobolo on mine for sure, although I wouldn't be terribly disappointed with osage. Osage contrasts nicely against the black micarta liners very well.

I also really love tri-color rag micarta and have a DEK1 and a UF in it. Sadly that's another handle combo going away. :(

I am hoping for African blackwood or cocobolo on mine for sure, although I wouldn't be terribly disappointed with osage. Osage contrasts nicely against the black micarta liners very well.

I also really love tri-color rag micarta and have a DEK1 and a UF in it. Sadly that's another handle combo going away. :(

I dont think you can go wrong. All beautiful. African Blackwood is my #1, the rest would follow in decimals. The OO can be absolutely stellar..like others have stated..almost a candy/translucent quality. All winners, tho'

I'd have a set of each if I could. TommyGun56 TommyGun56 did it right :thumbsup:

They are all beautiful, However here would be my ranking

1. DEK 1 with Osage Orange, when I look at the markings on the Butt it shows a beautiful streaking that should progress (lengthen) with usage and age
EDIT: The Osage Orange also has a translucent appearance when viewed at an angle in the sun

2. The Cocobolo and African Blackwood, I would rate a Push (Although the African Blackwood is also very Streaky)

The Cocobolo may have the most Unified (both scales have very similar markings or streaking on both sides)

Tom
I'm not sure if it's the same with knife making, but with wood grain guitars, that process is know as "book-matching". Its an awesome process and allows for (nearly) identical grain for both sides. I hope to own some slabs that nice one day!

Back