Photos SharpByCoop's Gallery of Handmade Knives

That is one of the most true statements that's ever been made. My friends name is Tucker and I love him and he loves me. I thank my Lord, Jesus Christ everyday for him.
Rick Norris
(^^^ First and only post on BF)

Hi Rick: Welcome to Bladeforums. Say hi to Tucker from all of us, please. :rolleyes: Wish him well. :thumbup:

Let's get back to current offerings:

Look at how wonderful Ron Best has incorporated pearl in his handle.

orig.jpg

Jody Muller keeps his scary tacs coming.

orig.jpg

John Park, JS with a warm utility piece.

orig.jpg

This one defines clean from Tim Withers: Look at that cocobolo!

orig.jpg

Thanks for viewing.

Jody Muller is a fan favorite, and he REALLY upped his 'carving' game with this jungle-themed folder. Superb!

orig.jpg

Matt Parkinson
(Past WINNER of Forged in Fire. :)) He is familiar with historical knives and does a great job replicating them. (Also going to test for JS this year if all goes well.)

He drives down an hour in CT to visit me in my studio and works as my 'assistant' as we get his work done. We both leave the work satisfied!

orig.jpg

A very inviting hunter/utility.

orig.jpg

A combination of accents in the guard and handle draws the viewer and handler in closer. So cool!

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

more...

Ron Best has done what all makers strive for: An unmistakeable personal style, and a home for every knife he can produce. :thumbup:

The only look similar. But... they are ALL different. :D

He's a full-time maker with a growing family and deserves no less than this for his consistent efforts.

orig.jpg

This particular one was a W.I.P on Instagram to this completion with a 'pro photo'. :)

orig.jpg

Comes with a quality personalized box. He's doing it RIGHT.

orig.jpg

Speaking of doing it right: New maker Steven Ramos gets better and better every piece. Here's a hard use knife which will see real action in the field.

orig.jpg

A stout rig which straps to the thigh. That's a holder for a flashlight on the right.

orig.jpg

Thanks for viewing. Please feel free to comment. :)

Coop

I have spent a BUNCH of time shooting, editing, and delivering the images & prints for the 2016 Solvang Show, held in late April.

Here's the link to view 30+ knives of the highest caliber:

2016 Solvang Knife Show - California hosting the world's finest

Now that I've returned, I had a backlog. Time to get busy!!!

Anders Hogstrom with a killer piece. The steel and the style are notorious.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

E. Jay Hendrickson, MS delivered me this MASSIVE Bowie to be sent away a smart collector. So warm and yet powerful.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Tim Steingass consistently improves his sturdy and attractive hunters. Witness how sweet this is:

orig.jpg

Matt Gregory crafted this exemplary Japanese-themed knife with Koa and wrap.

orig.jpg

The crowned spine was done especially well.

orig.jpg

I have more, but I'm awaiting their OWN posts! :)

Thanks for viewing.

Great update. Matt's knives rock hard. The Hogstrom is stunning and the Hendrickson old school cool.

Although it's been a while from that show, pieces have come to me which were acquired at that show.

Once again, the 'Art Folder' movement continues to escalate and be as vibrant and exciting as ever.

Barry Davis with a Frank Lloyd Wright inspired piece.
orig.jpg

Emmanuel Esposito spells = PRECISION.
orig.jpg

Antonio Fogarizzu provokes us with color
orig.jpg

Ken Steigerwalt does Art Deco...
orig.jpg

...and Art Deco appeals to Owen Wood
orig.jpg

Next: Not from Solvang

Buster Warenski: The Patriarch of Art Knives is remembered here once again. His knife, his engraving.
orig.jpg

I believe Alex Gev is an engraver first, but his knifemaking skills needed stretching.
orig.jpg

The celebrated fantasy worlds created by Manrico Torcoli are among the highest sought-after (and costliest) knives you can purchase. Antonio Fogarizzu folder.
orig.jpg

Lastly, it's time to step into a pair of comfy slippers after the ball. Bill Ruple with a canoe folder.
orig.jpg

More...

Reactions: Jos
Theo Nazz from NYC and his workshop in Brooklyn, used 3D printing technology to cast and mold his bronze pieces. He's a young trendsetter with VERY ambitious goals.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Mike Craddock is not young, yet is a traditionalist in cleanliness, crisp lines and build quality.
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Charles Gedraitis has been making folders for twenty years. He knows what is selling and is HOT!
orig.jpg

John Doyle's work makes us all look closely. His take on a Persian kard for the CKCA banquet/show
orig.jpg

Also for the CKCA banquet is an oh-so-clean Big Bear from Charles Vestal.
orig.jpg

Thanks for viewing!

Hey Coop, I was wondering what the handle material is on this? My first thought was north sea special material, but the depth with the carving makes me wonder.. and the second photo resembles giraffe bone because of the llittle dots! My head is spinning trying to figure it out. Could even be died wood for all i know.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

June 1st 10am: We are packed and leaving to drive to Atlanta for the Blade Show. Arrival and setup early afternoon on Thursday. We will work till early Sunday afternoon during show hours.

My wife, Susan, and my son Trevor will be with me, along with Maggie Randall, who has been invaluable as a clerk and helper in the past three years.

Please look for us there!

Coop (Who may very well be sequestered behind closed doors getting the work done. I may be invisible. It is the HARDEST WORKING four days of my year. It is NOT social time, although I love your handshakes and chats. The stress of 'Is my knife DONE yet?" is overrulingly real.)

Buster Warenski: The Patriarch of Art Knives is remembered here once again. His knife, his engraving.
orig.jpg

Hi Coop! Just a bit of clarification on the above Warenski. Yes, his knife, but Julie's embellishment (both engraving and silver piercings).

Best,

Bob

^^^ Bob, thank you! I made an assumption and did not give proper credit. Julie deserves her props! :thumbup:

It's been a long while since I've posted, as the work from the Blade Show is all-consuming. However, once THAT smoke clears I see the backlog of work awaiting me. It's a first class problem. :D ;)

In case you wanted to review our 2016 show, look to this thread:

2016 Blade Show • World Class Knives!

So, we carry on!

Here's some outstanding knives for my good friend Neil:

Pay attention to this steel... you will be seeing it again in a moment. :) Maker is the highly regarded Bertie Rietveld.

orig.jpg

How about this SWEET three-blade utility from Bill Ruple!

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

I can hear the surf and the gulls! Koji Hara excellence.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Ryuichi Kawamura is nothing less than a perfectionist.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Meanwhile in Slovakia, Stefan Albert creates HIS beauty. It comes over to me and then travels ANOTHER ocean to it's owner.

orig.jpg

About as highly regarded as any maker, AKI regular Ron Appleton with this rotating 'scale' lock folder. WHEW!

orig.jpg

Now, stop to admire this beauty. I have been a fan of Jeremy Krammes' work for a long time. His carving is reminiscent of dragon tail. Add into this Bertie Rietveld's 'dragon skin' steel and you have all the makings of a love affair.

orig.jpg

Thanks for viewing.

I had the privilege of shooting a pair of VERY CLEAN utilities by upcoming AZ maker Mason Renfer. Keep your eyes wide open on this maker (folders coming).

orig.jpg

Now a full-time maker Kevin Klein startled my Instagram page views with this little darling. It appealed to everyone!

orig.jpg

If you like RWL knives and stag, then you've come to the right place. Tim Steingass built his version of a Loveless 'little bear'.

orig.jpg

Greg Cimms uses his middle name for his business: 'Kayne Custom Knives'. He is doing GREAT work with a forge, and here's proof. (Look at the LEATHER wrapped handle. If you are like me you also thought it was wrapped cord.)

orig.jpg

He drove to my studio and we worked together to show that wispy, relevant hamon. NOT easy!

52100 core with a stainless outer core and his own methods to pattern it. Add some carbon fiber and you have a VERY appealing kitchen knife!

orig.jpg

Thanks for viewing!

Coop

One of my longtime friend's son is off in college and studying engineering, and dabbling in creativity. He's made a brass bottle opener for elegant dining and found a supplier to replicate them. Engraving optional.

He sent me a few of them, and I've shot them for his release on his Facebook and pending website. That I am OK with shooting shiny metal objects was a bonus! :)

orig.jpg

Albequerque maker Brett Schaller sent me this outstanding classic RWL-styled hunter and his smart sheath.

orig.jpg

Machinist extraordinaire Dan Dugdale from MA, WOW'd me with this handmade set. :eek: He's formed the two Canadian antique coins into rings and added them as spacers on his comfy stag hunters. REALLY cool!

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Speaking of Canada, Jose de Braga pulls out ALL the stops with his 'Alien' derived sword. This is BIG: It's about 32" in length and has detail upon detail in his renowned 'futuristic' style.

orig.jpg

There is carving EVERYWHERE.

orig.jpg

"Look at me. LOOK at me....! I'm the Captain now." :p

orig.jpg

View the 13mb/22mp LARGE image: Click HERE.

Coop

Wow. Not my style, but you have to admire the craftsmanship and artistry in that sword. Amazing.

More great pieces, Coop. Nice work shooting them.

Wow. Not my style, but you have to admire the craftsmanship and artistry in that sword. Amazing.

More great pieces, Coop. Nice work shooting them.
Thank you. I understand, Liam. Jose's work is a rich, acquired taste, and very satisfying if you appreciate extra detail. (BTW, if anyone is interested, it IS available. PM me.)

Here is something VERY different and satisfying. Check THIS out:

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Charles Roddenberry (Suwannee River Knives and Jewelry) contacted me a couple of weeks ago. Like many smaller makers he *thought* his work wasn't up to par with what I usually show, and he stalled sending me anything till this set. He tells me it's his 1856th knife!!!

Charles has developed a layered steel process which is remarkable. He calls it his damascus 'OhMai' pattern. (1095,15n20,copper,nickel) Just a great name!

These knives are called his 'lime cutters', and his wife Jordan Medley makes a tidy little back pocket sheath. Sweet! (2.25" blade / 6.25" OAL)

I have been posting on this Gallery thread for years and will continue to do so. This thread has been an AMAZING opportunity to display the artistry of a gazillion makers, and it's good for the makers, good for the forum, and good for me and my business. 1.3 million views over the years. I know this. Few comments, but people are subscribed to this thread and are admiring each image closely. :cool:

I have also been exploring the limitless exposure of Instagram through my 'SharpByCoop' page. I have been adding 3-5 knives daily for weeks, and my exposure has grown to almost 20,000 followers. (IG People of ALL walks of life are paying attention to handmade knives!)

I posted this knife on MY page two days ago and it gained 2000+ 'Likes' and 24 comments. Charles also has an IG account and I directed the image to contact him.

I asked him in a followup conversation what response he has gotten from my post. I will let him describe:

Here's what I've noticed so far, from the IG post. 100+ new followers, roughly $2000 in confirmed orders, another $1000-1500 in potentials. That was just within the first 24 hours, more are still trickling in, but the exposure on the first day seems to really make the difference.

To anyone who has reservations that their work 'isn't good enough' yet, or don't want to spend $170 on professional images because it isn't cost effective, I offer a ^^^ case in point. In combination of this thread and my IG posts, it's a bonanza of cutlery!

Thanks for viewing!

Coop

To anyone who has reservations that their work 'isn't good enough' yet, or don't want to spend $170 on professional images because it isn't cost effective, I offer a ^^^ case in point. In combination of this thread and my IG posts, it's a bonanza of cutlery!

Jim is absolutely correct. I have sent him several of my "Plain Jane" working knives in the past and the result of one of those was that the photo and an accompanying story appeared on the back page of Blade Magazine, resulting in a lot of orders (and in that knife suddenly becoming my most popular model!)

Thank you Brett!!!! You understand.

Back