Photos SharpByCoop's Gallery of Handmade Knives

It was a distinct pleasure being interviewed about my work, upcoming trends, history, small talk, and WHO IS MISSING in my portfolio. :confused:

If you are interested in learning more about Customs, Photography, and other viewpoints here's your chance. (You won't get a chance to converse with me this casually at Blade! LOL!)

Podcast info and link.

If you DO listen in, I thank you in advance. Most who did, say that it was informative and lively.

Coop

BTW: I just posted four posts in a row, three of them with AMAZING knives, swords, and engraving.

^^ This self-promoting post :rolleyes: sent them to the previous page. LOL! Don't forget to look back, please. :)

Tim Steingass continues to build his dynasty. I'm happy to be a part of his success! :)

orig.jpg

Don Hanson III, MS continues to GROW his dynasty. Now he's got a 'mid tech' line of fixed blades. ;)

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

And when it comes to dominance in a particular genre, he's on point. 'Scary Tac' has no peers! :D

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Kevin Klein sent me this subtle classic utility. It's like a fine luxury car. ALL the refinements without the fanfare.

orig.jpg

If it has a sharp edge, it's a Knife, if it pleases the eye and spirit, it's Art. returning to the work of talented and visionary maker Jeffrey Cornwell. This piece called 'Melancholia' has a collaborator artist Julia Bazanova.

orig.jpg

I spend a LOT of time *sitting* at my desk. even though I work out often, my back is fragile. One helpful antidote is a stand-up desk.

I researched a BUNCH of them and decided this one suited me best. (Amazon $170) It has a LARGE work surface, so it supports my forearms while I am typing or working the mouse. I don't like typing with my forearms elevated, nor my mouse.

orig.jpg

Imperfect springs. I modified and added (2) more so it lifted/retracted more easily. The OEM springs were woefully underpowered for a 27" iMac.

I'll be back later with a pile of fresh images....

Here's some exciting images which need to be seen (or reseen). :thumbup:

I'm in awe of Ron Best's work when he sends me one of his modern 'Tactical' folders. ;) Attaboy!

orig.jpg

Doug Campbell, JS is clawing his way upward. This is the path of a bladesmith WELL on his way to Mastersmith status. I know you'll agree. (Even though I'm only predicting his future. Nothing has been said. These knives are talking loudly, though.) :D

This GIANT Cleaver/Bowie was a client's design.

orig.jpg

Maybe I was having on off day or maybe this was the hardest three images I've ever tried to get right. It took 80+ tries. In the end = :thumbup: :thumbup:

orig.jpg

Look at that coining!

orig.jpg

Someone on Instagram said: "This is SO alive, I can hear this one breathing." Well, there's a compliment!

orig.jpg

And, speaking of GREAT coining and fine work, John Doyle surprises very few with his attention to detail and yet impresses us in return, each time he makes a new knife.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Sean O'Hare makes a sturdy VERY well made folder. He knows what modern clients like in materials!

orig.jpg

Andy Garrett has been hand grinding this style of push dagger for 10+ years. I know this, because I HAVE one from him which is ten years old! He's kept his mojo going. :thumbup:

orig.jpg

When we talk of veteran makers, here comes 'The Pope of Ivory' Don Hanson III, MS (credit to Jerry Fisk for that moniker!)

orig.jpg

...Dominus faber!

orig.jpg

The Dominant One: RJ Martin's Q36. Multi-year winner 'Best Tactical' at the Blade Show.

Two background flavors, same knife. PLEASE tell me which one you prefer?

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Steve Randall, MS. Wow. I took one look at this and named it 'Shower of Sparks'. That's what the feather pattern looks like to me. Crazy. (Shocking blue background!)

orig.jpg

Great stuff Jim!

not only are stand up desks better for your back, they are better for your health cardiovascular-wise :thumbup:

I love the "Koa-fest" from Doug Campbell and John Doyle - the knives are pretty nice too :D

Ron Best's stuff is just amazing...and Don is certainly a master craftsman!

For some reason, I like background #1 on the RJ Martin - which surprises me because I usually like "cooler" backgrounds color-wise

Bill

Thank you for sharing such great Work Coop. Im subscribed to this thread, and eagerly await new posts. Ik can be a pita to photograph knives in a way that does them right, and you are spot-on every single time
Keep 'm coming[emoji1360]

Sent from iPhone met Tapatalk

BillF and red mag: Thanks for the input. Let me get a few more responses and I'll give you the backstory.

I have more to post very soon.

Anyone have a background preference on the two RJ Martins? ^^^

I much prefer the blue for the RJ Martin...I think the copper in the carbon fiber is lost in the reddish hues of the first one, and in general the red is too dark to me for a blade that is itself very dark.

Well, you guys have a much better eye than me. And so does RJ. I chose the red at first and he asked me to reshoot to the blue. His knives are the standout but the blue is the popular choice.

I'm pecking away at my phone from motel in Fort Lauderdale. I've finished shooting a colossal amount of work at the previous weekend's East Coast Custom Knife Show.

It was easily the best show I've ever had besides Blade. Crazy busy for me, so much so I never once set foot inside the show Hall. I worked two 12-hour days.

I'd love to tell you more and I will, when I start an actual thread. But for the next few days or even a week I'm going to be MIA.

I've got plenty of work to do upon my return and my other job is calling for me as well.

All that said, I'm renting a Harley Davidson tomorrow and going to spend some time riding around the Everglades. I need a little break.

So wish me a safe journey and I'll be back soon with great visuals!

I have a slew of images prepared from the ECCKS. Separate thread in C&HK starting ASAP.

However..... It would be unfair to the great makers whom I captured before I left for Florida to not post their work here.

Mike Daly is a retired NYC officer. He's got a nice sense of design and application. See for yourself!

orig.jpg

Mike Zieba is simply unstoppable. Anything he makes is well designed, well built, and well liked. (This version is exclusive to TNK... ;))

orig.jpg

John Doyle has show this one to us in his own thread. This deserves a second look and a bow. He's as HOT as they come for a maker.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Devin Bliss is from the great knife state of Texas, and he's got a LOT of handmade goodness packed into this sweet hunter.

orig.jpg

The sheathmaker is Joe Miller, and it says TEXAS all over it! (It's still a great sheath, but I'm a COMPLETE BONEHEAD because I put the knife in backwards. It was pointed out to me by my sage Paul Long. I will enjoy another helping of Humble Pie, please. :rolleyes: )

orig.jpg

One part machine, two parts BADASS, Tim Steingass takes command with these two monster fighters.

orig.jpg

Thanks for viewing!

Last edited:
Additions to this thread and the thread you just linked to take my breath away, Jim. Thanks so much for all you do for this site, the knife industry, and most of all, for those of us who so appreciate the craftsmanship and artistry, but would never be close enough to such works but for your diligence in bringing them to our homes. You are a giant among men!

Blues

best thread in BF

Jim's good people, he's been here a long time and is always willing to help with questions on how to take pictures, always helpful and he takes some pretty good pictures of knives ;). Jim gives to this community in so many ways, if we had a BFC Member Hall of Fame, Jim would be in it.

Thanks Jim.

Blues, Lorien, Ted: Thank YOU! :thumbup: :)

Let's see what's cooking lately...

Years ago, I gave you your first forum view of Michael Zieba's work. Now... he's on everyone's site and with good reason. He is a workhorse and prolific designer/builder.

Here's a cadre of his small and colorful MS2 and smaller MS3 knives (Manhattan Special). I had some FUN with these displays! :D

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

And here comes Kevin Casey who moved his entire shop (and life!) out to Wyoming from Michigan. It's taken him some time to regroup, but he's REALLY back in his groove!

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

And a familiar folder and maker to many. The work of Jody Muller from MO.

orig.jpg

Back