Photos SharpByCoop's Gallery of Handmade Knives

Aidan Garrity (IG@)IronLionBlades is a young TALENTED smith who is making his way UPWARD. This seax has proper tapered lines going everywhere. Note the *growing* taper of the blade at the sweet spot. BaBANG!

xlarge.jpg

When John Cohea (IG@)johnmcohea builds his period knives, he goes ALL IN! They always have the most captivating primitive materials, with impressively timeless skills. Follow him! This piece to be delivered to a HAPPY client at the @arkansas_knife_show I’ll be there, too!

xlarge.jpg

Now THAT'S a Knife! Aidan (IG@)IronLionBlades brings on the historic look with his military tribute fighter. It’s got a frame-built handle covered with indestructable G10 scales. There’s WORK to be done!

xlarge.jpg

I have not show Dr. Fred Carter’s work on this page in years. He was one of my favorite makers and I sure hope he’s doing well. I gather he’s retired from knifemaking, but in his heyday he was one of the VERY best. An AKI member for years, here’s an example of his builds and his engraving.

xlarge.jpg

Latest Show news!

1. Susan and I are here in Las Vegas setting up for both the Tactical Knife Invitational, and the follow-up Las Vegas Custom Knife Show. They're both held this same weekend January 25th through 27th. We will have much to show after these projects I hope.

2. I will just get finished with the work above and projects that have arrived in my studio and then I set up and depart for Little Rock Arkansas on Feb 16th, to serve the Arkansas Knife Show.

I loved this show last year and I really look forward to working there again. Logan Pearce continues to do a spectacular job in promoting and getting this show in top prominence.

3. I got a personal phone call from Jerry Moen who is handling the ICCE Guild/ABS Show, now moved to Fort Worth, Texas on March 29th & 30th.

He asked me if I could represent and serve the makers of this show. It was a privilege to get his phone call and even more so to say "Yes" .

And so we will be making our way to Texas the end of March.

More news as it develops. In the meantime I'm plenty busy!

I have admired your work for a while. D'Alton Holder is a friend and I have attempted to photograph his work. I am an accomplished photographer in live event and music photography, but when it comes to capturing the beauty of a knife, I'm terrible! You have a gift. I have studied your lighting techniques and angles of attack and just wanted to pass on that your work is very appreciated. I don't think people realize how difficult it is to emphasize engraving without washing out the rest of the image. Anyway, I'll be seeing D' again this week... Any messages? Take care.

Hi Jeff! Thank you. Wait till you see MY 'Live event and music photography' to feel good about yourself. I'm a fish out of water outside of my tent. LOL!

Tell D' I miss shaking his hand and I hope he's doing well. Thank you!

I gave D' the message and he said to say hello. It was what else he said that I thought you'd enjoy hearing. I said how great I think your images are and he agreed. He said, and I quote... "He's a hell of a photographer and damn good man."

Unless you know D', you probably don't realize how big a deal that is. He doesn't say something unless he means it.

Last edited:
I have not show Dr. Fred Carter’s work on this page in years. He was one of my favorite makers and I sure hope he’s doing well. I gather he’s retired from knifemaking, but in his heyday he was one of the VERY best. An AKI member for years, here’s an example of his builds and his engraving.

xlarge.jpg
Those things are gorgeous!

Jeff Coker Jeff Coker ^^Well, I'm flattered by every measure. I think the exact SAME of D'. He's a strong personality, and to be in his favor takes some doing. I *try* to be the person he admires. For him and all. We all make or fall off the mark at times. We're human. :) Thanks Jeff!

So, you DO know him. I was hoping you knew him well enough to appreciate the gravity of his remark! Lol.

I just got home from his house. He has been "helping" me finish a big ugly blade. He wanted to be sure I said hello for him. I'll set him up with an account here. He would really enjoy talking to the makers here. I can't believe how many of the greats are here and talking; yourself included.

Take Care,
Jeff

Back to my studio work. I have posted most of these on my Instagram, yet not here. Double the FUN!

Anders Hogstrom
xlarge.jpg

Rick Dunkerley, MS
xlarge.jpg

Wess Barnhill
xlarge.jpg

Jody Hale / Pie Cutlery
xlarge.jpg

Lyle Brunkhorst
xlarge.jpg

Chuck Schuette (Pronounced 'Shootey')
xlarge.jpg

Aidan Garrity
xlarge.jpg

Derrick Wulf, JS is alive and thriving in Germany!
xlarge.jpg

Mastersmith Josh Smith
xlarge.jpg

From Australia came Dmitriy Popov (DP Knives). Yes.
xlarge.jpg

From Brooklyn comes Theo Nazz
xlarge.jpg

Brett Schaller
xlarge.jpg

Wait.... wuttt? Yes SIR! Mike Quesenberry, MS with a convertible dagger.
xlarge.jpg

xlarge.jpg

Beautiful work as always Coop !!!

Thanks for all you do to promote these great makers and knife making in general :thumbsup:

Mike's dagger is a forged all integral piece, which makes it even more amazing.

Bill

Subscribers: I have not been posted here in my Gallery, because for the past three weeks or so I have been consumed with editing and finishing prints of knives from the Arkansas Knife Show.

I have posted a FULL review and set of 50+ images for your admirations in this thread:

Arkansas Knife Show • Middle America • TOP of the WORLD!

I'll keep this thread busy, too. Thank you.

Back at it! Studio work has been ongoing, yet surrounded by LVCKS and AKS show work.

Richard Wright took the drive down from Rhode Island to my studio in CT. He could not ship this 'knife' to me. (Against the law to ship a firearm to a residence.) It was a pleasure working with him on this complex and gratifying piece!
xlarge.jpg

This is a bolster-release auto with a .22 cal rimfire barrel. Gun-blued bolsters was the obvious choice!
xlarge.jpg

xlarge.jpg

Andreas Kalani is smashing it on his Instagram with his accurate builds and unique treatments.
xlarge.jpg

Rick Dunkerley, MS headed off to Italy with this folder for a show.
xlarge.jpg

Young maker Matthew Paul mentors under another IG standout: Gregg Cimms. BOY, do they know Chef's knives and great steel patterns!
xlarge.jpg

Kevin Casey is renowned for his feather damascus steel, and for his slender Bowies. He's collaborated with Russian artist Konstantin Pushkarev for his outstanding inlay work. Here he calls this one his 'Buffalo Hunter'.
xlarge.jpg

The abalone in Mark Knapp's subhilt is as deep as an Alaskan lake. He makes it out of layers and layers epoxied together and he makes all other makers sing with praise for his methods. His personal engraving adds immensely. Forged in Fire CHAMP; he's so talented.
xlarge.jpg

New maker Morgan Owen calls this his 'Indian Head' Bowie and he drew upon Paul Long for the leather.
xlarge.jpg

Noted Mastersmith Steve Randall always provides me with a knife which is of impeccable quality. LOOK at that steel. That's his sheath, too. Wow.
xlarge.jpg

'America's Knife' is how young maker John Gulso named his VERY appealing and difficult forged bowie. His treatment of the flag over the WHOLE LENGTH of the blade appears to be a first for me! I'm loving those lonnnng S guards with the black walnut handle. I'm SURE we will see this prominently at the end of the year. ;)
xlarge.jpg

Back