Pic and Discussion - Have you modified your knife? What did you do?

Kizer Cutlery Kizer Cutlery

Is there a reason that you post a new thread every week in “General knife discussion?”
You have your own subform...as a company rep, you should be posting in your subform not in General.
Also, if I remember correctly, there are a few “modding” threads already started.

This is the general forum. This is a general topic. Yeah, there are other threads like this one. As in other hobby forums, you'll see the same things come up from time to time. Somebody will often note that. They might share links or make a comment about learning to use the search function. Having the historical reference points is nice but this is just the way of the web forum.

Personally, I'm glad to see Kizer engaging the community here. They get to have fun while they do a little market research. They take the time to read our posts and answer our questions. Ideally, this leads to better product for us, better sales for them, and a nice time on the forum. Everybody wins.

As far as mods, I don't do anything big. Comfort and ergonomics matter to me. So when scales have pointy corners or sharp edges, it can bug me. In cases where it makes sense, I'll do a little filing or sanding to round things out. (The inner edge of G10 scales with nested liners is a common place.) It's just a matter of marking boundaries with a little painters tape and being careful. Sometimes, the difference that makes can be huge for long-term use and enjoyment.

As far as mods, I don't do anything big. Comfort and ergonomics matter to me. So when scales have pointy corners or sharp edges, it can bug me. In cases where it makes sense, I'll do a little filing or sanding to round things out. (The inner edge of G10 scales with nested liners is a common place.) It's just a matter of marking boundaries with a little painters tape and being careful. Sometimes, the difference that makes can be huge for long-term use and enjoyment.
Sharp edges stuff does annoying! XD If we make some white G10 scales knives, would you like to dye them to your favourite colour? we wanna do some event like that.:D

I much prefer Kizer’s threads to more of the Ganzo “discussions” :D

This is the general forum. This is a general topic. Yeah, there are other threads like this one. As in other hobby forums, you'll see the same things come up from time to time. Somebody will often note that. They might share links or make a comment about learning to use the search function. Having the historical reference points is nice but this is just the way of the web forum.

Personally, I'm glad to see Kizer engaging the community here. They get to have fun while they do a little market research. They take the time to read our posts and answer our questions. Ideally, this leads to better product for us, better sales for them, and a nice time on the forum. Everybody wins.

Alright...the masses have spoken. :)
I think its in poor taste. But to each their own. :)
Thanks for letting me post my opinion Kizer Cutlery Kizer Cutlery .
Catch ya’ll in other threads.

Keep ‘em Sharp

The butt end of this knife bothered me (literally, because I tend to rest my hand over the end of my knife , and it was the discomfort that this one caused that made me aware of it).
sagDNKb.jpg

So I did this to it
sy07Oov.jpg

So far there has been no “how I did it” so its just like every other modding thread. Just saying.

view

view

view

view

view
]

view

view

view

view

I look at a new knife as a blank slate. If it’s not perfect already, can I make it better?

Usually I can, the exception is if it comes with poorly executed embellishments already.

For example if it already has an oversized sharpening choil I can’t add metal to make it smaller. Same for thumb grooves or jimping. I’d rather make my own, or choose not too.

Here are some of mine. I like to add small sharpening choils, thumb grooves on the spine, JB weld the gap at the guard, sometimes I add a single finger groove or a lanyard hole.

Carbon blades get patina, preferably from use, but once in a while a nice onion patina works.

Sometimes a broken knife dictates it own modifications which is fun too because you can’t make it any worse than it already is.

Last edited:
view

view

This modification was more involved.

I feel they brought the grind line to the wrong side of the choil. It makes for a fat edge just in front of the choil, with very little sharpening it gets even fatter.

So I bought it to where I felt it belonged. It’s not perfect, but it functions better. I can still do more with it to make it better, but lost interest. It’s very difficult because of the convex grind to keep it even. It would be easy for them to do initially.

It’s a shame it’s a great shaped and sized knife with a fatal flaw. (In my eyes). I won’t be buying anymore of these.

Last edited:
Sharp edges stuff does annoying! XD If we make some white G10 scales knives, would you like to dye them to your favourite colour? we wanna do some event like that.:D

I've never dyed knife scales before but I've seen people do it. I've seen some pretty cool results. If I found a knife I really liked in a neutral color, I'd be open to trying it.

Care to disclose which size the Arius takes? I'm curious how the Arius could get any better.
you have no idea the difference it made in a Holt, the quality of the bearings is incredible, I havent changed the ones in my Arius, will post pic when I get my accomplice tuesday, Steve is making incredible knives, here are the one the Arius uses, 11 ball, not the 14
FFD3A1D8-A616-465D-B1EB-421357682592.jpeg

...here are the one the Arius uses, 11 ball, not the 14
View attachment 1337469

Ordered! Also here are some Kizer mods.

The BladeHQ exclusive Kizer Gemini...
Mods: Flipper tab reshapen & jimping, finger landing zone chamfers, a light sanding on the carbon fiber slab corners, a small detent ramp on the tang & a sharpening choil.
QDJcSkz.jpg

jfwFUB1.jpg

hlBAEst.jpg

The Kizer T1
Mods: Blasted handle, ano backspacer & clip & small detent ramp on the tang.
YRlsCE0.jpg

wVCLzGw.jpg

So far there has been no “how I did it” so its just like every other modding thread. Just saying.
I know it was just a general statement; but I'll respond. The OP asked why or how - in my example, the why seemed more relevant...and the how was pretty straightforward. I recognized that, untouched, I wasn't likely to carry the knife again. I considered selling vs modifying. It wasn't a popular knife; so I was guaranteed to lose money...and there was a lot I liked about it. Still, things can go wrong - would I be upset if I wreck it? Nope - I didn't like it that much. Decision made. That took more time & thought than the mod itself. I didn't plan it out, I didn't draw lines on the knife...I went downstairs, flipped on my belt sander, and pressed the butt of the handle against the abrasive. I did make the effort to keep the scales even; and I ended by touching up the edges I'd affected.
It is an amateur job, and its obvious enough that it was modified, if one looks; but it works for me.

lBUOXn9.jpg

I reshaped the end on my Kizer Guru flipper and took the blade to 15 degrees per side. The extra length wasn't needed and made it stick out of my pocket too high. Still wish this was the thumbstud version but it's the only one that was available on mass drop when they had them on a crazy sale several years ago.

Back