Pic request -|::|- Original Paramilitary 1 with Para 3

Fred Sanford

Gold Member
I believe they are close to the same size and was just really wanting to see a pic of a new Para 3 along with the original Spyderco Paramilitary.

Thanks much.

I actually wish I had kept at least 1 original Paramilitary for comparison. ;)

R46XB2J

If a pic isn't posted by this evening I will put one up. I only have a Para 3 with me at work. ;)

The 1 is larger than the 3 and smaller than the 2. I actually like the 1 the best. Have a pair of them, plain and serrated. Will post pics if no one else does 1st.

Thanks Filoso. Exactly what I was looking for. :)

I appreciate the effort drfoil. Still can't see anything.

As you can see in my final pic, the Paramilitary 1 did not maximize handle to blade ratio. That was the/my biggest gripe about it but it was still my favorite pocket knife until the Paramilitary 2 came out. Para 3 is ok IMO.

Soulrack, thanks bro. Great pics. I love the jimping on the original Paramilitary (shown in your spine shot of the serrated one). Best jimping IMO. ;)

Last edited:
The biggest difference besides size was that the Para1 did not use a detent ball but rather a detent ramp. It was also right hand tip down only and used a clip like the Military.

Also, they didn’t all have the coarse jimping. This is the CPM-D2 Para1 sprint.

3BkGdZD.jpg

9Hajq94.jpg

Yu9cSnB.jpg

The biggest difference besides size was that the Para1 did not use a detent ball but rather a detent ramp. It was also right hand tip down only and used a clip like the Military.

Also, they didn’t all have the coarse jimping. This is the CPM-D2 Para1 sprint.

3BkGdZD.jpg

9Hajq94.jpg

Yu9cSnB.jpg

Correct. I've owned and taken apart a bunch of Paramilitary 1's. I just don't have any left. Only the early ones had that coarse larger jimping. I preferred it. I also never had a problem with the lockbar/ramp detent. I thought it was just fine.

:) Great pics.

I have an original Paramilitary. When it came in, many years ago, I compared it with one of my original Spyderco Enduras. It was fine. Unfortunately or fortunately, I could buy and repair used Enduras for a fraction of the price of the Paramilitary model, which I could not find used.

Back