Pick 2 Challenge - I've lost my marbles.

Should I use my carry knife for ALL cutting tasks during the challenge?

• Yes

Votes: 44 43.1%
  • No

Votes: 20 19.6%
  • Yes, but not at restaurants.

Votes: 38 37.3%

• Total voters
Good on ya buddy! That's a hard goal right there, might have been better to have started it in November maybe :)

Good luck with the sales and with your choices, those scales are super cool btw !
G2

If I were writing the rules for your challenge, I would require the following:

1. For all tasks a utility/pocket/folding knife can do, including minor food tasks, you MUST use it. And only one knife. Not one for work, one for leisure.

2. If it is a non-knife task, then don't do it. You don't pry the childproof bands off of Bic lighters with a knife (to cite a previous example); you use another tool (like pliers or screwdriver, which might be on an SAK or Leatherman, but that's not the knife you selected, so . . .).

3. Some knife tasks cannot be done adequately with a pocket folder. If Sweetheart tells me to dice an onion, it's going to be with an 8" chef's knife. If you have to cut open a bag of frozen peas and put them in a pot on the stove, it will have to be with your pocket folder (cleaned and made ready for indoor work at the end of the day).

4. Don't use your knife for personal grooming (finger/toe nails, callouses, et al.). That will make it icky and you'll be less likely to clean it before opening up that bag of peas!

The rest of your decisions will follow on these rules. The amount of cleaning and sharpening and maintenance is up to you. I say, kill that thing. Use it to death.

And "Pics or it didn't happen." Maybe that should be MY clan motto!

Zieg

Reactions: AF
Who was it said they refused to maintain a monogamous relationship with a knife?

Yeah, that's me. I like variety, at least with my knives.

Oh, how silly of me. I didn't even bother to mention what I'd be carrying.

For the "Work" category:

IMG_20180317_152709_713.jpg

Spyderco Endura ZDP-189 with some custom scales from @BOOMER52.

For the "Leisure" category:

No pic yet.

Spyderco Delica ZDP-189 with yet another set of Boomer's scales.

The Endura scales have my Son's birth date and our clan motto engraved in the shield. If any knife should become "mine" that seems like the logical choice. I think the ZDP-189 will wear the miles quite well too.

I could easily carry my ZDP Endura for an entire year or more, it's a perfect design IMO. The fact that yours is custom and has a great story to it only adds to the reason to complete this challenge.

I got the newest Spyderco PPT sprint run on 3/15 and it hasn't left my pocket, don't want it to. I'm hoping it's still a favorite by next year, because it's making a lot of more expensive knives very jealous.

I could easily carry my ZDP Endura for an entire year or more, it's a perfect design IMO. The fact that yours is custom and has a great story to it only adds to the reason to complete this challenge.

I got the newest Spyderco PPT sprint run on 3/15 and it hasn't left my pocket, don't want it to. I'm hoping it's still a favorite by next year, because it's making a lot of more expensive knives very jealous.

I agree about the Endura. Some knives are better at certain tasks than the Endura, but overall, I don't see how you could improve upon it.

I've never handled a PPT. It's an interesting model. Maybe someone will send one in for sharpening at some point.

It's not as hard as one might think to consistently carry and use the same knife or knives. I have somewhere between 1100 and 1200 knives, but I've only regularly carried the following:

1977 to 1982: Buck 110 (couldn't wear it to work)
1982 to 1986: Buck 501 (lost it....)
1986 to 1990: Gerber Folding Sportman 1 (lost it.....)
1990 to 1999: Spyderco Police (broke the tip)
1999 to 2010: Benchmade AFO (got concerned with legality)
2005 to present: I added a Buck 309 to the AFO
2010 to present: I replaced the AFO with a Spyderco Military
2014 to present: I added an alox Victorinox Farmer to the Military and 309
2015 to present: I sometimes switch out the Military with an Al Mar ultralight Eagle, depending on what I'm wearing.

Considering how many I have to choose from, I think I'm pretty consistent. BTW, this is just my off-duty carry.....For an on duty list, I would have to add six more over the years.

I had a Cold Steel Recon 1 that my wife gave me for my birthday when I was 17. That was my knife for years, there were no others. This would be a fun challenge for old times sake. Good luck partner!

Not a bad combo, but get ready to lose that bet. The only reason I'm not carrying all of my 3'' knives in my collection is because I'm still learning to sharpen correctly. So far, I only have my Mini recon 1 in XHP properly sharpened, but if I can make my other blades just as consistently sharp, then I woulnd't be able to keep them all out of my pants lol.

Please tell me how you're going to be able to face temptation, and if you're going to make any more purchases for the rest of the year

I could manage with two modern folders - no problem. I've come to appreciate a slim and/or lightweight knife at work; but generally prefer larger hand-filling knives when I have a choice. Choosing two would allow me to have one of each, and I could make that work.
My problem with your situation is that I always carry a traditional, in addition to my modem folder. I could choose one, and make do; but that would leave me with 3.
Then there's the fact that I prefer fixed blades over folders; though I can't always carry one (at work, for example). I suppose I could eliminate fixed blade carry entirely; but I wouldn't be happy about. I would also be hard pressed to choose just one fixed blade as part of any such deal.
Of course, choosing to limit carry options is just one step. The bigger step is getting rid of the ones that didn't get selected. I like having my knives...and, honestly, I don't want to part with some of them - even if I were to choose not to carry them anymore.

My Knife collection grew out of finding my perfect daily carry. Over the years I have accumulated and carried a lot of different folders. Out of the 300+ folders, 3 have remained victorious. This year is a three way carry off challenge. My best Spyderco (PM2 s110v) My best ZT (0562CF) and my best Benchmade (551-1). These are my primary carry knives that I alternate to find the best of the best. From that pool I would choose my 1 and only.

My challenge is that in order to get more use out of my folders I have created categories or classes of use.
Daily Carry
Special Occasions (my sunday go to meeting or dress up knives)
Camping Tools. (Folders I alternate at camp every weekend and 3 weeks of vacation.)

Special occasions I alternate a Spyderco Domino (Black Deep Carry Clip) ZT 770cf (Black deep carry clip) and Benchmade (484-1 Nakamura with a deep carry clip).

At the campsite I keep (a well weathered) PM2, Manix 2, ZT 566, ZT0350, and a Benchmade Rift. All great knives that have seen moderate to heavy use and have proven themselves well.

So in reality My top 11 out of 300+ are getting use on a regular basis. While part of me admires the guy who only wants one, I do get some enjoyment out of using each of the tools I have mentioned. And while I have retired the Buck 110 of my youth and the Vic huntsman from college and the Spyderco Native that was my first higher end knife that started this adventure, every once in a while its fun for me to switch it up. My carry style and needs have changed over the years and each of my purchases have been a roadmap of those changes.

Good luck with your challenge and I look forward to hearing how it goes. Maybe I will be there in another year. :)

(sorry for the long rant but It is also fun for me to share as well as live vicariously through you guys too)

While it sounds practical at this point in my life I wouldn't be willing to do it. Nope, No way, No how! :D

I only carry one - from about 2005 to 2016 it was the same. I had to retire it, and grabbed a kershaw injection to check out at a ridiculous low price.
it didnt really speak to me, so I picked up a Kizer vanguard velox 2. it wasnt talking to me until this past weekend when I really got to use it some and it will likely be my go to until it needs to retire also

Well I hope you complete the challenge and find that bond. Two excellent knives and beautiful scales too!
I'm just trying not to buy anything else for the rest of the year. Got in on the latest run of Knifeworks M4/CF PM2s and that one has quickly become a favorite. Been carrying it everyday since. Maybe it will be the one to stop my impulse purchases.

I've done that challenge several times, but I'm 70 years old, so I have a few years on most members here. I've done it with an old Uncle Henry stockman, a Buck 110 & a Mini-Grip. There may be more, but.......did I mention that I'm 70?

I seem to have accumulated quite a few nice knives over the last 20 years & they were all bought to be used; but I find myself carrying an Alox Cadet and either a Sebenza 25 or a large Inkozi at least 90% of the time. I'm sure I could easily do the challenge, but once in a great while I like to stick a Manix 2, or an old Case Barlow in my pocket; even if it is only for a day.

It's nice to have choices.

Last edited:
Come to think of it, my Alox Electrician is with me every day during the week. I work second shift, so I just get dressed into my work clothes when I get up because, what's the point?

On the weekends, I could switch to my Skeletool CX, and have everything covered with those two. But, those aren't knives, those are multitools, right? ;)

Nah. Of all the dilemmas I could have, the choice of what knife to carry on the weekends, is a pretty good one.

Edit: Oh. Yes. Contributing to the thread.

No. Do not use your carry knife for everything. In fact, only use your carry knife for very specialized tasks, so as to make the most use out of the widest variety of knives as possible.

I would say, if you're here, the "bond" with one special knife isn't the first reason you carry a knife. It may not be in the top five. We look at knives, and talk about knives, and have these very detailed and technical debates about blade steel and lock types. For somebody outside, looking in, it would be easy to draw the conclusion that

A) we're all obssessed

B) It's about quantity, as well as quantity for us.

Last edited:
You picked a couple good ones. I’ve been going back and forth between hap40/pakkawood delica and an m4/jade g10 millie. I have zero desire for any other pocket knife at this point. This challenge just might ruin your knife hobby. :eek: :)

I do this. I have a couple of very small kids, and don’t have time to indulge much in hobbies for a few years. So I’ve just picked two knives that I carry every day, now for almost a couple of years (Sebenza and Pioneer X).

But I didn’t sell anything off. They’re just in a case put away. Why sell everything off?

I do this. I have a couple of very small kids, and don’t have time to indulge much in hobbies for a few years. So I’ve just picked two knives that I carry every day, now for almost a couple of years (Sebenza and Pioneer X).

But I didn’t sell anything off. They’re just in a case put away. Why sell everything off?

Keep me honest and fund another project.

Back