Pick 2 Challenge - I've lost my marbles.

Should I use my carry knife for ALL cutting tasks during the challenge?

• Yes

Votes: 44 43.1%
  • No

Votes: 20 19.6%
  • Yes, but not at restaurants.

Votes: 38 37.3%

• Total voters
For your challenge good sir I would roll with these two.
One for work - Cold Steel Recon 1 in cts-xhp.
One for leisure - Spyderco Manix 2 standard in s30v.
I truly love these knives. Bury me with these two at my side.

nF2vxDc.jpg

Nice combo! I've really scaled down my collection over the last year.

I was in pursuit for Sprint Millitary's after getting gifted one, fancy gents knives (still have my Mnandi which I love).

But in terms of go to knives I have returned to a regular Endura and my trusty Case mini trapper with the wharnie blade that sells for like $28.

These two are tops for me in terms of EDC carry as a knife. I just love the two. One for pocket carry and one that is in my kitchen drawer for everything else.

Has nothing to do with blade steels just two knives that really do it for me. I always go back and forth between lockbacks and thinking there are better locks out there for easy one hand opening but at the end of the day the slim format of the lockbacks wins out everytime. The wharnie blade on the Case is just the best little EDC blade on the planet. It's scalpel sharp and gets that way pretty easey peasey.

One for work and one for leisure couldn't do that for sure would at least need 4 to pick from. Hope it's going well

All right. Now that my recent purchases have arrived, I’m ready to join the challenge with you, Petunia D. Feeble Petunia D. Feeble ...for a month. Ok, now before the weeny comments pile on, that’s eons for someone like me who rotates knives sometimes more frequently than socks.

A few months back I couldn’t even go two weeks as part of a pass around, so this will be informative for me. Here’s what I’m choosing.

A55AC3D1-EE84-40C4-9BDE-1B09FE054431.jpeg

Spydiechef for primary and Gent for light days. :D

Solidarity Brother!

C8ADD2CA-B146-4F0B-A65F-E75914542699.jpeg

Petunia D. Feeble Petunia D. Feeble , how ya holding up on your challenge?

Looking at the date of my post above, my month is done; I was faithful, but had some withdrawl symptoms!

I learned a few things.

First, the two knives I picked met my needs just fine. A light knife and a medium knife is all I really *need.*

Second, I learned that my initial impressions of a knife tend to be valid. Both knives were new and my opinion on them was the same 5 minutes after unboxing as it is now. [Namely the Gent is a capable little knife with some rough edges and the Spydiechef is just, well...amazing.]

Lastly I learned that knife biogomy just isn’t for me. I like playing the field, even though some things in my collection are clearly “better” than others. My collection isn’t huge, but I have a couple of things in my safe I rarely carry. When I get to them, I suddenly remember why I like them so much to begin with. It’s kinda like getting the knife again for the first time.

TLE, I hope you find the “extension of your arm” feeling you’re looking for, or at least save up the money for a special custom. :thumbsup:

I already posted today’s carry a few places on the forum. Here’s my changing of the guard...for a day or two. ;)

79F8EC43-E37D-4AEB-9E7D-31FF202CCACF.jpeg

Last edited:
I've cheated very slightly. We had a cub scout campout a couple weeks ago and I feared, due to the heat and impending profuse sweat, for the ZDP-189 so I took a ZT 801ti that I got off of the PIF thread... it was too heavy and stayed in the tent all weekend. A Victorinox Spartan did all the heavy lifting.

I have found that I carry the Delica more than the Endura. I like the Endura at work, but prefer the Delica almost everywhere else.

I think we're about there though, about to the point that they both feel like mine. The custom scales that really couldn't be sold to someone else probably help, but I picked well.

080C9EC7-A396-4049-A75D-BDCF5325DFD5.jpeg I took this challenge a while back and I am very satisfied with my two knife choices. TRM Viator, my work knife had to be under 3”, and my ZT0770CFM4 for weekends.

This is a *REALLY* interesting thread. I saw it earlier and have had it floating into my head all damn day.

A few thoughts:

NOOOOOO!!! NO! NO! NO!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Fuuuuu

OK.

Had to get that out of my system. I think it’s mostly out.

This actually gave me a negative emotional response. The thought of going down to two actually bothers me. I briefly relieved that by telling myself that I could totally do it if I bought a Kizer Gemini. Then, I realized two things. First, that just means benching one more knife that I already own. Second, I’m definitely buying a Gemini soon.

After all of that fun, I decided to really try to sort out how this would look for me. Right off, I decided to not sell down to two. No way. I have 9 now. That’s not obscene. 12 counting my Classics and Juice S2. Still not bad.

Then, I thought about the past few years. For about 3 years, I carried a 0562 about 5-6 days/week, rotating in a change of pace knife on my days off. That allowed me to scratch the collector itch, while also bonding with my 0562.

Next, I thought about what I’d actually go with if I limited myself to two. The timing of this is interesting, because I’m going camping for 5 days this week, and I’ve been having to help the freight team at work a ton this past month, so my knives have been getting used a LOT.

It also dawned on me that I need a special rule, because I will NOT let go of my Wenger Esquire. I’ve had it paired with a folder every day for yeeeaaaarrrrssss. That will remain the case.

I think I narrowed it down to the ZT 0609 and either my blue weave Domino or the 0562. My gut says 0609 + Domino.

But, then I went back to thinking about going with a 5 day/week carry for a year, so I can still occasionally pocket fun stuff like my TiSpine or DOC.

I could definitely do that with the 0609, 0562, or Domino. The 0609 is most likely.

Probably going to have to buy that Gemini to be sure.

Reading what I just wrote makes me feel ridiculous, but I’m leaving it to force myself to accept my situation.

Lets see, two folders...call me unoriginal but one has to be my stock pm2 for work. The fun one would be my bm 710 in m390. Wish I could downsize more but well meaning family members have stuck me with some low end stuff that I don’t want yet can’t get rid of.

I don't rotate knives all that much. I will carry one knife for a month or more. Then I'll carry something else for a while. I'm not sure why I do that but I always have. I guess I like getting used to carrying and using the same knife.

After a few weeks I'll sharpen it, clean it, and put it back in the case. Then I'll pick a new one and start the process all over again.

There are exceptions of course. I have certain knives for certain tasks for instance.

I would have a hard time only having two knives but, I normally reach for only two or three different folders out of everything I own. Go figure.

A few years ago, I was part of a 30-day challenge. Normally, I carry a modern folder so for 30 days I carried a Victorinox Alox Cadet. My natural instinct was for the Soldier/Pioneer. I felt the Cadet was just way too small for an EDC carry. By the end of that 30 days, I had learned or re-learned a few things:

1. People don't stress when they see a Swiss Army Knife.
2. I hate having a knife on my keychain.
3. For me, the Cadet has a better walk and talk than the Pioneer.
4. The Cadet is much, much easier on my nails than a Pioneer.
5. For secondary carry, the Cadet is a great choice.
6. A modern knife with a 3-inch blade is better for my lifestyle but, I can get by with a 2 1/2 inch blade if needed.

Because of these things, I see a need for an Alox knife somewhere in my carry system. Right now, an Alox Soldier has the pleasure of riding in my Jeep. My daughter now has my Cadet and knowing her, I will never get it back.

I wonder what the OP will learn from his carry challenge.

Back