Recommendation? Pick me a Delica. Wharncliffe Hap40 or V-toku2?

First Delica. Wharncliffe Hap40 or V-toku2?

• Total voters
I need some help.

My Spyderco collection is mainly sprint run Millies, Paramilitary 2s and Para 3s. I need to pick me up a Delica. Debating between the Wharncliffe Hap40 or V-toku. This will be for light EDC task but I want to select a knife that I will appreciate in the long run, know what I'm sayin'? So which of these two would you recommend? WC Hap40 or V-toku?

I like the regular Delica blade profile more than the wharncliffe, plus I prefer the handle color on the Vtoku-2.

I do have the Vtoku-2 Delica and am enjoying it very much.

I have not had a chance to put the Vtoku through its paces yet but I have a hunch what to expect.

HAP40 should be a more wear resistant steel but the standard Delica blade shape is more versatile. Do you favor edge retention? Do you have any experience with wharncliffe blades? The answer here is kind of subjective.

I have both, and the wharnie is a worker. I cut a lot of cardboard, shrink wrap, tie wraps and packing tape. For that the wharnie wins IMO. (Vtoku2 does fine there too)

I've sharpened both, not much between them there. Neither were much trouble.

Both will serve well, but for work I choose the wharnie. For 7 days a week? Vtoku2 (regular shape delica)

I have both and the Vtoku blue looks great, cool color and I always liked the way the Delica blade looks. The wharncliffe though, to me it looks ugly but it has to be the most useful blade shape for my daily carry needs. Honestly, I can't believe how much I like that wharncliffe blade shape. My knowledge of blade steel is less than most people here so there isn't a clear winner in that category but overall I love the Delica wharncliffe so the Hap40 gets my vote. Good luck and +1 for no wrong answer

Unless you're infatuated with the colour orange, or you love the wharncliffe blade shape I'd say go with the V-toku2 Delica (not considering availability) simply because this will be your first Delica and it's got the classic Delica blade shape.

Don't take this as me putting down the wharnie sprint though! If you're able to, the standard mantra of "buy both" applies here as well as the other saying of "there is no wrong choice" failing that!

I have both. I use both. They are good blade shapes. I use the Wharnie Delica for opening packages, cutting off address labels scoring stuff etc.

If you can afford both, get em while you can but the V-toku2 is getting more scarce.

It is subjective for sure, but wharnie all the way. And orange. :cool: And Hap40 rocks.

We’ve all had classic knife shaped blades. The wharncliffe is something a little different and I’m very impressed with mine. The hap40 appears to be no slouch. I’m finally ready to sharpen mine after a couple weeks breaking down boxes and cutting dirty shrink wrap off palletized materials.

Just an update everyone. So I bought both. My plan is to have the two knives hand before making a decision. Without actually handling them, I'm leaning toward keeping the Hap50 and selling the V-toku2. This is mainly due to my assumption that the Hap40 will keep a longer cutting edge than the V-toku2.

Nice, keep us updated! I really like my hap40 wharnie and wish I would have gotten a standard blade hap40 just to complement it. That said I have no feeling for vtoku and would probably just get a ZDP standard blade... but I am a sucker for Wharncliffe style blades.

Back