Recommendation? Pick me a Delica. Wharncliffe Hap40 or V-toku2?

First Delica. Wharncliffe Hap40 or V-toku2?

• Total voters
16E5D23C-A189-4FD4-AA31-0DB8269CEAF6_zpsgbuebeyc.jpeg

Just a quick update, I think I like the Hap40 just a wee bit more.

Last edited:
This is how I feel. I love both flavors of the delica shape. When it comes to a work knife, the wharncliffe is king. But for all other tasks, the standard delica cannot be beat.

I have yet to try hap40 and I missed out on v-toku2. But my s30v wharnie has really surprised me.

I have both, and the wharnie is a worker. I cut a lot of cardboard, shrink wrap, tie wraps and packing tape. For that the wharnie wins IMO. (Vtoku2 does fine there too)

I've sharpened both, not much between them there. Neither were much trouble.

Both will serve well, but for work I choose the wharnie. For 7 days a week? Vtoku2 (regular shape delica)

I'm about to buy my first Spyderco knife... well, now knives, and I definitely want to buy a Delica 4. I was going to buy a standard one in orange (love the hi-vis) but I was also looking at the hap40 wharncliffe model too. I must admit I don't like the burnt orange, at least based on pictures, and while I'm not sure about the functionality of a wharncliffe for my purposes, there is something that keeps drawing me back.

I'm about to buy my first Spyderco knife... well, now knives, and I definitely want to buy a Delica 4. I was going to buy a standard one in orange (love the hi-vis) but I was also looking at the hap40 wharncliffe model too. I must admit I don't like the burnt orange, at least based on pictures, and while I'm not sure about the functionality of a wharncliffe for my purposes, there is something that keeps drawing me back.
The Hap40 orange isn't bad. I swear it looks better in person. Theres also a S30 orange Delica wharncliffe out there that is pretty awesome and its the perfect shade of orange. Either way they are really fantastic knives.

The Hap40 orange isn't bad. I swear it looks better in person. Theres also a S30 orange Delica wharncliffe out there that is pretty awesome and its the perfect shade of orange. Either way they are really fantastic knives.
It's good that I am moving very soon and don't want to place the order until I arrive at my new home, otherwise I think I would have ordered a handful of Spydercos, including a couple impulse buys, after I had a few drinks.

I want a corrosion-resistance knife for kayaking and taking to the beach/coast, so after some soul-searching I dropped the Caribbean for the Dragonfly 2 Salt (w/ SpyderEdge). For a while I was going to get the two, but I think that is unnecessary.

Of course I need to experience the Delica, so I'm getting an orange Delica 4 with the plain edge. But the wharncliffe is calling me and I'm curious about the Hap40, so that's back on the list as of a few minutes ago. If the Caly 3 in Hap40 wasn't significantly more I would go with that, but I'm drawing a line.

Honestly, I can see how these sprint runs are a great way to get loyal Spyderco customers to keep buying knives they don't really need! There is so much choice, it's great but probably going to be expensive if I get into this brand. I've had a couple scotches and the list is changing as we speak...

It's good that I am moving very soon and don't want to place the order until I arrive at my new home, otherwise I think I would have ordered a handful of Spydercos, including a couple impulse buys, after I had a few drinks.

I want a corrosion-resistance knife for kayaking and taking to the beach/coast, so after some soul-searching I dropped the Caribbean for the Dragonfly 2 Salt (w/ SpyderEdge). For a while I was going to get the two, but I think that is unnecessary.

Of course I need to experience the Delica, so I'm getting an orange Delica 4 with the plain edge. But the wharncliffe is calling me and I'm curious about the Hap40, so that's back on the list as of a few minutes ago. If the Caly 3 in Hap40 wasn't significantly more I would go with that, but I'm drawing a line.

Honestly, I can see how these sprint runs are a great way to get loyal Spyderco customers to keep buying knives they don't really need! There is so much choice, it's great but probably going to be expensive if I get into this brand. I've had a couple scotches and the list is changing as we speak...
Hahaha dude your post made me laugh, I never do any knife shopping under the influence. Honestly, I think any model you get from Spyderco is more than enough to get the job done. I would say I love the Delica Wharcliffe, it looks ugly but the shape works so well for my day to day needs. Good luck but I think everyone here will tell you Spydercos have a tendency to multiply.

Hahaha dude your post made me laugh, I never do any knife shopping under the influence. Honestly, I think any model you get from Spyderco is more than enough to get the job done. I would say I love the Delica Wharcliffe, it looks ugly but the shape works so well for my day to day needs. Good luck but I think everyone here will tell you Spydercos have a tendency to multiply.
haha yes it is definitely not advised. I'm going to go ahead and try the Wharcliffe.

I really like Benchmade and it is good they don't do sprint runs... that would be trouble for my wallet. Hopefully I'm not too happy with my upcoming Spyderco purchase, otherwise it could be trouble.

UhQacM0.jpg
UhQacM0

Over the past couple of weeks, I thought I had lost my heavy use Dragonfly Salt SE. For the first time in years, I felt compelled to start looking for a light, small, thin blade and FRN clad Spyderco to take its place.

As soon as I learned of the wharncliffe Delica, I was hooked. I'm a big fan of this blade shape and couldn't resist the Hap40 and S30v wharnies. Just in case I lose one, or something like that :D

I'm trying to resist the siren call of that S30V Wharnie as I already have the HAP40 one but that bright orange is just begging for some Halloween carry and the price is very reasonable. I also have the V-Toku2 Delica and, while the steel doesn't really do anything special for me, those Prussian blue scales are the perfect color.

Back