Pick your favorite three Cold Steel products that you own...

These three:

oKcLPyuh.jpg

tmQV6gKh.jpg

6qODD3oh.jpg
Wow! You could go to War with those 3 MoFo’s!!!
Nice👍

Laredo Bowie (USA in CV)
Recon Scout (USA in CV)
American Lawman (CTS XHP)

*Large Voyager nearly snuck into my top 3

Edit to add photo:

nYYVfO6.jpeg
I had not realized that the earlier Laredo Bowie knives were made in the USA, (likely by Camillus).
I always thought it was a made in Japan and later Taiwan product, (maybe a short stint in China too?).

Anyhow, did they use the cable tang method during that USA made period, or were they more like a stick type hidden tang?

I had not realized that the earlier Laredo Bowie knives were made in the USA, (likely by Camillus).
I always thought it was a made in Japan and later Taiwan product, (maybe a short stint in China too?).

Anyhow, did they use the cable tang method during that USA made period, or were they more like a stick type hidden tang?
The US (Carbon V) models had the cable-tang. The Japan San Mai III version had the cable replaced with a solid rod. At some point the carbon steel version changed from wood to micarta handles, and I don't know if the tang changed. And yes, there was a 1-year stint in China.

My AD10 has the best action of any knife I own. It is as smooth as oil on ice, and even disengaging the lock is effortless.

My XL Voyager Tanto is my most carried and used Cold Steel by far. It is the folder I grab when I need a working knife that can double as a weapon.

Number three is probably the Black Talon 2. It weights nothing but might well be the deadliest small knife Cold Steel has ever produced. It is a defensive knife for the person who doesn't train self defense.

Last edited:
I was reading through this thread, and it made me think about my latest Cold Steel addition to my collection. That being my Trail Master VG-1 San Mai III.
I was pretty stoked upon receiving it this week, it being as nice as I was hoping it would be.
Okay, so now I wonder if it replaces my Cold Steel 1917 Frontier Bowie in my favorite three Cold Steel picks?... Hmmm?
Well, I know that the Frontier Bowie is nowhere as refined as the Trail Master, but it has traits about it that still keeps it on my list of three... But, I will cheat by placing the Trail Master along side the 1917 Frontier Bowie as a tie in my three favorites list 😁

For older/classic products from the 1980s:

Original Tanto with brass fittings
Urban Pal
Urban Skinner

Newer Products I probably won't actually use:

Magnum Tanto IX in 3V
Magnum Tanto XII in San Main III

Products I've often used:

Recon Tanto in Carbon V - I've used this for years for many tasks. It is my primary mid-sized knife.
Barong Machete - I've made heavy use of these and they've held up well.
Recon Tanto Trainer - I've used these for years in martial arts training and they've held up well.

Back