Picked up a R.W Loveless for KCC Blade at Flea Market

Hello All, Been a while and I picked up a R.W Loveless original drop point blade for the Knife Collectors Club and was shocked to see the prices being paid out there. Blade looks unused but has a little rust from sitting around in a box or something since seller seemed to think it was a kitchen knife. Did I find a good piece? I've picked up a few batches of custom knives at estate sales before and sold but is this a keeper? Should I have the rust spots restored? Thanks

https://imgur.com/a/mgsugFR

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mgsugFR"><a href="//imgur.com/mgsugFR"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Great find! I don't know much about those knives but aside from those spots it looks mint. I don't know how could you remove those stains without ruining the finish on the blade. Anything you scrub it with will probably ruin the mirror finish. Maybe you could scrub it with fine steel wool and then polish it again?

Do you plan on using it? Keeping as safe queen? Selling? If it is meant to be sold or kept as safe Queen, the least you touch it, the better. At most spray it with some oil to prevent further corrosion. If you want to use it do whatever you see fit.

Mikel

that's one sweet looking kitchen utensil.
its a nice find!
letting it go (even in this sorry condition)
is sure to more than cover your expenses
in time :)
guess you would have to live with it
"as is" for now...

Good find. Personally, I would have the blade polished. I know with guns it is generally better to keep them as is, but I don't feel that way with knives. There's no bluing or finish to destroy. But it depends on the depth of the rust pits.

I would not touch it until I asked this question in The Customs and Handmade Knife section here on BF.

Good find. Personally, I would have the blade polished. I know with guns it is generally better to keep them as is, but I don't feel that way with knives. There's no bluing or finish to destroy. But it depends on the depth of the rust pits.
Guns and watches.

With watches, I never polish, with old Nihonto only master polisher, with contemporary knives I have no idea, but I'll definitely ask in the custom section as well.Thanks for the help.

I say use it, a rag and some Wd40 should take the active rust off the surface then using it to cut fruit meat and Veggies will make the knife look better than new if the blade is any kind of carbon steel.

Back