!Pics added! Taking the 7 towards "tactical"

Some of you may know that I've been modding my 7. I bought it in the first throes of Beckerizing myself....but since I bought the 9 first, the 7 sat, unused. Then came the beater Camillus 2, pushing the new and unused 7 further down the list. I started doing some minor mods with the 9 & 2, then took the scale off the 7, taped up the edge and traced the outline. Not big enough to chop like the 9, not so utilitarian as the 2, I really couldn't see where it fit, so I started drawing. Drawing helps me to see where I wanna go (even if I change my mind when I finally get started ;)), and it gave me an excuse not to put the 7 up for adoption. I drew....I left it alone for months, I started up and drew some more....and collected more Beckers (and some other knives as well) and more and more came to the conclusion that since I had quite a few knives with plenty of utility, the 7 would have to go in the other direction. Fighter, tactical, whatever you wanna call it....so I finalized what I wanted to try and do, gave myself permission to grind up a perfectly good (and new!) knife, and started grinding away the parts I thought I wanted gone. In one nod to functionality I incorporated a bottle opener into the "skull crusher" pommel using the existing lanyard hole. Probably the most leverage of any bottle opener I own. Much more testing will be needed, though.

OK, enough of the blah, blah, blah. POIDH!

Started off here:

14831879865_61c052bea3_b.jpg

But redrew it a few times and, with some cues from my Gerber LHR, ended up with this:

14975999439_f82f2c64dd_b.jpg

You can see the influence of the LHR:

14998409930_0954e282f5_b.jpg

And the finalized drawing I cut and traced onto the 7:

15185049905_b8220ce69c_b.jpg

15178963778_39651b9f2b_b.jpg

I drew onto it in pencil as I wasn't sure how my vision would play with the roll stamping, and I didn't want to grind it too close (I had measured it, but you learn that paper designs are just that. Designs. "In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice, they usually aren't" - words to live by.

I had epoxied a ceramic tile to the platen of my 2x42, and this was my first time using it. Started grinding with an 80 grit. Deep breath. Turned on the power.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3921/15215573269_d07e23343b_b.jpg[/img]

For me there's usually a long pause (sometimes months - or years) between deciding that I want to do something and starting. But once I start, it just seems natural, and I wonder what the hell took me so long to just do it. Once the 7 touched the belt, I went to town.

Now I had to figure out how to do the tight inside curves I'd drawn. I could've filed them, but I'd still be working on it. Ka-Bar does a great job heat treating Ethan's designs, and it makes filing tough. Went with a stand mounted dremel and a grinding wheel, after working the belt and the disc to get as much possible out of the way. The idea was to reshape the ramp, but I felt that to keep some flow I was gonna lower the spine and the top of the handle as well. This was where I thought I might grind too close to the stamping.

Turned out fine (at least so far). After the dremel:

Ended up grinding away a little more of the handle than I had planned, I decided to STOP trying to smooth out the line before I made it too small for even my slightly undersize mitts.

While still trying to figure out how I'm going to do the swedge, I started some jimping (!) and sanding out some of the grind marks on the handle. But first I had to make sure the bottle opener was functional.

Started the jimping with a triangular file, was a little unevenly spaced, so I used pressure towards the front or the back as needed and then switched to a round diamond file.

Shaping the finger guard:

I used a file to contour and ease all the handle edges, then started sanding with 180 grit w/d and some profile sanding blocks (not really blocks, more like hard but somewhat flexible rubber).

Fits good in my hand, though when I get to the scales they're gonna hafta be fairly thick to give a little more girth to the grip.

Feels like I got the finger choil right as well. Pretty psyched about that.

Tonight I ground down the rest of the sharp left on the edge, smoothed out the inside of the bottle opener/beer theft defender with the dremel, then tested the opener function a couple times.

That's all for now. Gotta figure out the swedge(s?) and scales then try and put an edge back on. For the scales I'm kind of waffling between what I want to do (make my own MikeKarta®) or use wood which I have....wood might get this knife finished before the Gathering next weekend. Or not. It'll be going with me, regardless of whether it's done or not, and I'm trying not to put too much pressure on myself....after all, it only took me a year to get it started.....

I'll post up some more pics as I make them.

Last edited:
Finally got over myself and made some canvas MikeKarta®. I've worked with fiberglass a little in the past and knew that I didn't want to be racing the clock trying to get the layers saturated and lined up, so I made a guess of how much to reduce the hardener and went to work. Of course, I had to build a press first.....made out of a ripped down section of 2x8 PT, a scrap of melamine shelf and a scrap of poplar plywood I had laying around.

15440342655_dd3a3322bb_b.jpg

15437140811_2d3cbc9d9d_b.jpg

15253733778_d3cfb1401a_b.jpg

The press is a pretty simple arrangement; there's a channel made by the two plywood sides and an anvil that slips in between:

15253784557_5f09041e06_b.jpg

Didn't get pics of the process - way too hard trying to get it all done with the time pressure of hardening resin, plus once you get the outer pair of gloves all sticky, you're not thinking about grabbing a camera. Suffice it to say that I certainly didn't put too much hardener in the resin. Used about 8 ounces which called for 80 drops (10 -12 min working time), figured I'd go with 8 drops per oz. an put in ~64 drops of hardener. Of course the tube of hardener you have to puncture yourself, and I wasn't sure how big to make the hole; it was a little hard to control the drops. I had a little bit of a panic after I got it all clamped up as the resin didn't seem to be hardening....but at that point there was nothing else I could do.

15254126228_01f31a2e44_b.jpg

15254128848_442984cb7d_b.jpg

This morning: Still haven't had breakfast I was so jazzed to open up the mold. Resin did start to harden, after a couple hours I was pretty sure it would work. Got this out of the mixing cup:

15446726815_3cb8b0f67c_b.jpg

.....and opened the mold. Had to take a hammer to it; I'll have to rethink the wax paper and vertical clamping method. Maybe parchment next time, and horizontal clamping to keep the runoff on the paper.

15260039520_4191c69a52_b.jpg

15259979619_bbd3f8e7c2_b.jpg

Most importantly, the waxed paper came of the micarta...er, MikeKarta®. The orange canvas was looking a little red....

15446760315_ef81c48ef8_b.jpg

15260163588_8287f26f26_b.jpg

15446439962_51b33910f3_b.jpg

Appears to have done what I wanted to do....have to shape it to be sure. Ran it through the bandsaw, sanded the edge a little and wiped it with some alcohol to take this:

15446900535_35fe8980c5_b.jpg

I'll might finish it with something to stabilize the dye in the cloth; that seems to bleed easily. Unknown territory for my at this point, so I'll have to see how it goes.

15260302098_8772c7aece_b.jpg

15260303398_b99801c092_b.jpg

I want to thank all of you who have commented here; this is such a supportive community and I wouldn't have even known this kinda stuff was possible before I started lurking around here, much less felt the urge to do it myself. Stay tuned!

Last edited:
Did some more jimping (!!!!) last night, and got to work doing the initial fit of the MikeKarta® tonight. Tried to drill out the two holes I was gonna use for pins to try and fit some ¼" tubing in there, but gave up. Hardened cro-van is....well, hard! It was fine, though, as I could just get to work drilling and profiling the scales.

Started here:

15267519948_e5698703eb_b.jpg

15453782172_8f13ef94bd_b.jpg

Initial tracing and marking holes done, drilled the first hole, lined up the other slab and pinned them together to keep it all lined up. Used the knife as my hardened steel drill guide/template.

15277822288_e5afa339bb_b.jpg

15441353026_12966aaeab_b.jpg

Don't worry - the drill press was off and the safety plug removed....

15461312641_08ed042e42_b.jpg

15464112132_cbab9a3e0c_b.jpg

15277751060_b320def105_b.jpg

Of course, now that I'm viewing these photos, it occurs to me that I might have done this with one or two less steps.....or not, as I was not sure of the parallelism of the MikeKarta® slab faces. I was trying to minimize errors at the scale/knife interface. Pinned and ready for the bandsaw:

15277569349_837b0602f6_b.jpg

cut and ready to have the hilt and the butt shaped (giggity). The idea is to do this part before they're epoxied on and it becomes nearly impossible to do...it also occurs to me now that I should really have reread Daizee's step-by-step instructions that he posted up some months ago. Oh, well. Gotta learn by making my own mistakes....

15277975300_eb0357ab4c_b.jpg

Test fit:

15277980340_c0d5feed53_b.jpg

Oh, yeah....don't forget to redraw the handle profile now that you've actually drilled the stuff, Mike! I don't want to make another batch of MikeKarta® juuust yet.

15461628151_40efda4b35_b.jpg

Took things a little closer back at the bandsaw, test fit again:

15441667876_0ce1b809c5_b.jpg

15461628641_7820a73a6d_b.jpg

Finally was happy with the front and rear profile, so I wedged them apart using my BK-7 (what else?) and installed them in their correct orientation (orange is the "liner") and test fitted again. They are definitely starting to look like they might possibly become a handle....

15441830736_2e06402775_b.jpg

15461789631_0ec8ca2230_b.jpg

Oh yeah....I also tried to give it a swedge last night, a task in which I only partially succeded. I don't know if I'm going to try and remedy that more to my liking or not....I don't want to grind away too much steel.

15267075117_56493de4bb_b.jpg

15267027758_9273a6a217_b.jpg

Jimping pron:

15267245948_00210e44bf_b.jpg

The only thing I was curious about was if I'd slimmed down the handle too much to get a decent handful after the scales were on. I'm not curious now:

15278043519_80c9febca0_b.jpg

15461789791_1e2a16eebc_b.jpg

Lots more stuff to do. Don't know if it'll be done by Friday for the Northeast Gathering. Trying not to worry about it, as I'm sure to take it no matter the state it's in. That is all for tonight. Thanks for following along

Last edited:
Very cool man. Looking forward to the finished product.

It really does look good.

Are you at all concerned about over heating the blade and messing up the factory heat treat?

Very cool man. Looking forward to the finished product.
Thanks! Me too....

that's pretty awesome! really cool that you have the vision and know how to do that.
I don't really know how to do it, but I'm learning to fake it 'til I make it.

It really does look good.

Are you at all concerned about over heating the blade and messing up the factory heat treat?

Not really....at least not yet. I think if I go slow and try not to hog off too much at one time, I'll be OK. I also have a bucket of water next to the grinder so if I feel the blade starting to get warm (and every few passes or so) I'll dip it in there to cool it off. I've yet to see more than a little bit of steam, once or twice.

And thanks for the compliment.

Absolutely awesome work. Again....the 7 does not appeal to me in the slightest, but that looks great! I can really appreciate the work you did.

Wow, that's one "killer" bottle opener! ;)

Awesome work GSOM, looks great. Can't wait to see the end result.

Great concept! I really like how the lines flow together and compliment one another.... Really looking forward to seeing this finished!

Is there some kinda genius at work here? I've seen some pretty creative things done with Beckers but this is definitely one of the best.

Thanks!!!

I love these kind of threads. Outstanding job on very sexy seven. Love it and can't wait to see it.

:thumbup: Yep, looks like a sweet little fighter / beer opening utility blade!

Wow, that's one "killer" bottle opener! ;)

Awesome work GSOM, looks great. Can't wait to see the end result.

Great concept! I really like how the lines flow together and compliment one another.... Really looking forward to seeing this finished!

MAN that thing is SO BEYOND COOL! Awesome work so far!

Is there some kinda genius at work here? I've seen some pretty creative things done with Beckers but this is definitely one of the best.

Thanks!!!

Looking good man! Great work.

Awesome work so far. I love what you have done with the design.

Thanks for everyone's very kind words. I am also looking forward to seeing how it turns out. Drawings are one thing, reality is another....

I love these kind of threads. Outstanding job on very sexy seven. Love it and can't wait to see it.
I hope this makes it next weekend.

It'll be with me....although I don't know if it'll have scales or not....or a sheath...

Love it, love it.

Nice "beer theft defender"

Glad someone saw that....considered naming the thread "Turning my 7 into a tactical bottle opener"....

Back