Pics of Pairs--Large and Small Versions of the Same Model

ChazzyP

Platinum Member
I was posting in another thread--http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1414400-940-1501-KW-Exclusive-- regarding the 940-1501 and suggestions for exclusives/specials in that price range. We touched on several different alternatives and at one point I posted a picture of my 908-1501 next to my Axis Mini-Stryker. Joe posted that he was becoming obsessed with pairing large and small versions of the same model Benchmades. I thought that sounded like a good topic for a thread so--

Show us your pictures of large and a small versions of the same or similar model knives. No need to restrict it to Benchmades. Let's see 'em!

I'll start it off copying my post from the other thread:

Here's a favorite pair--my original 710 and little brother 705. The 710 was, IIRC, my first BM which I've dubbed my "rescue knife". Like a puppy from the pound, my purchase saved it from a neglectful owner who'd allowed it's blade to become pitted and discolored, filled it with grime, sharpened it poorly, and hacked at the back-spacer. I've brought it back a long way and like to keep it original save for replacing the backspacer with standoffs.

The 705 was introduced in 1999 and discontinued in 2004 to be replaced by the Sequel. Mine is a serrated pre-production 320/1000. I'd love to find one just like it, but un-marked with a plain blade to match the big guy. There were a lot of versions of it including aluminum handles with wood inlays and even a fake CF model that was actually G10. Kinda hard to find any out there for sale.

I6j56Jm.jpg

Last edited:
Great idea for this thread brother!! I'll play!!! Got bit by this particular bug when I had the chance to pick up a limited edition BM 705 from The Hollow Grind. When I got it I noticed it's almost a mini 710-2.
A light bulb went off that will hurt the wallet even more!!
One of my pairs!
Joe
b4221f78af146d3671f76b4708138f7d.jpg

392f93c9635aba1c83368463c27180cd.jpg

Well since 710/705 is the theme, I'll start with that.

SAM_2611.jpg

And for a little diversity, I'll add a couple Sebenzas.

SAM_2616.jpg

Nice pics, Corey and Joe.

For a little more diversity, here's a coupla Bucks that cost a little more than a coupla bucks. My 110 is from a limited run with Koa wood, no rivets, and circular blade tang stamp. The 112 Ranger replaced a Buck Duke that I thought I'd like for its drop-point blade but didn't. I gave it to my neighbor Sid in Vermont and ordered the 112 from the custom shop with white oak handles and no rivets to go with the 110. Just the good ole Buck 440 steel, but polished blades without the usual grind lines. These live mostly in the drawer here at home, but I carry 'em in their belt sheaths sometimes up in VT.

AJIEmhA.jpg

Last edited:
Those Bucks look very nice glimmering in the sun. And Joe, I love that Pro Tech with the fish scales, I've considered buying that knife several times, just haven't pulled the trigger on it yet. I need to get rid of some knives before I take anymore in haha.

I know what you mean Corey!!
That Pro Tech is nothing short of awesome!! I now have 3 TR-3s!! 1 manual Ti and 2 aluminum autos! I love the design, especially that blade shape! It is one mean slicer!!

Ooooops, wasn't finished!!
The autos are the hardest firing autos I have handled and they are built to last! Also, excellent CS!
Next to Benchmade, PT's customer service is second to none!!
Great company making awesome blades!!
Is any of this helping in your quest not to buy any more knives Corey???
[emoji51][emoji51][emoji51]
If you'd like, I can send you one of them to check out brother!
No pressure to buy it, none are for sale, just so you can get the feel of them!
Let me know!
Joe

If you'd like, I can send you one of them to check out brother!
No pressure to buy it, none are for sale, just so you can get the feel of them!
Let me know!
Joe

I really appreciate your generous offer, but I've checked a few Pro Tech autos out in a local shop a while back. Not a TR-3 specifically, but he had a Godfather and Godson, and they fired out like a rocket. I just had too many other things on my radar at that time. The only Pro Tech I have is a TR-3 manual, and it's a beautiful knife (brushed titanium, blue anodized border, damascus blade) but it's just too nice for me to carry. I'm sure I'll pick up one I can use in the near future.

Now, back on track, I'll pull a bit of a stretch myself, these 2 look similar enough to me....Lone Wolf LM17800 & 13300.

SAM_2629.jpg

SAM_2630.jpg

Those Bucks look very nice glimmering in the sun. And Joe, I love that Pro Tech with the fish scales, I've considered buying that knife several times, just haven't pulled the trigger on it yet. I need to get rid of some knives before I take anymore in haha.

Them Bucks is some shiny suckers for sure! I had to keep moving around the yard to find a shady-enough spot so the reflection didn't overwhelm.

Them Bucks is some shiny suckers for sure! I had to keep moving around the yard to find a shady-enough spot so the reflection didn't overwhelm.

I know exactly what ya mean, those highly polished blades and bolsters make it hard to get a clean picture.

An old Opinel shop display I have with a #1 & #13. No grinds!

:thumbup: That's a pretty cool collectors piece right there. I had to go look up the specs on the #13 (20" open), it looks like it's at least 2 feet long in the closed position next to that #1 lol.

Here are the CRKT M21-02 (3-inch blade) and M21-04 (4-inch blade). I don't carry these much, but I have always liked the blade shape.

M21-02 in hand:

M21-04 in hand:

Back