pic's of two more.....

any comments or criticism appreciated. Both are O-1, stainless pins and lanyard liners, black paper micarta and white corian. I tried some filework that I wanted to be organic-looking as opposed to precise and symmetrical. The Wharncliffe is in the hands of my wife, the chef, to see how the heat-treat performs.
View

View

Thanks for any input!
smile.gif

Richard,
I LIKE! Especially the top one with black scales. Very nice lines! Could you give the edge and overall length?

Both knives look great Richard, but I especially like the lines of the white one and the file work on it. Did you use a grinder to make the knives? I'm about half complete on a small clip point blade courtesy of Jonesy's tutorial on KF.com. Just using files, a drill, and hacksaw. It's definitely taking plenty of elbow grease.

------------------
jeff
My knives

those are great. you have a good feel for the true ergomonic's of the hand. most knife design's are gear more to production cost's,imo love to see more.

------------------
Laurence Segal www.RHINOKNIVES.com

I like the Wharncliffe best. Let us know how well that design works in a kitchen.

------------------
~~TOM~~

Nice, Richard! I like them. Tell us more about how you made/heat-treat them.

Oooh! Lookin' good Richard. I love the bottom one. Very sleek and pleasing to the eye.

I dont know how big the black handled one is, but the style would make a great neck knife. In fact, I may go try to grind something like that this weekend.

------------------
Danbo, soul brother of Rambo

Thanks for the positive feedback, folks. These are both kind of small- the wharncliffe is 6 3/4" oal, the other is 4 1/4" oal. Anything larger I can't seem to heat-treat right with my little MAPP gas outfit. Should be getting an oxy-acytelene set-up very soon. I've been using Allen Blade's formula for heat-treat and temper that I found on a search here, and so far it has been working great. Appreciate the kind words, and much thanks to all the great makers here who are so generous with their knowledge.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by richard rosvall (edited 04-12-2001).]

Nice little blades, Richard!
Why didn't you tell that you were at knifemaking before?!
I specialy liked the black handled one.
Congratulations!

------------------
Ivan Campos
Full-time knifemaker...finally!

http://www.bitweb.com.br/users/campos

Gee, I like the wharncliff better, but I really like the file-work on the other...I'm so confused!
smile.gif

Richard they both look great! You may want to consider another alternative of heat treating before you sink a couple hundred into a oxy/acetelene outfit. (I had one an had the same problems you have with the mapp gas when I tried to do larger blades).
Harbor freight has a propane torch that hooks up to a 20 gallon tank (like your barbacue uses). Its got a 2 1/2' wand with a knob and a lever actuated air venturi. The know adjusts gas flow, and when you squeeze the lever, you get a 8" diameter 3' long flame (they claim 4600 degrees). Works great for heat treating and only costs about 2o.00.
I just dry stack a few fire bricks to make a little kiln, prop the blade up in there with some wire and let fly. Heats to non-magnetic in 2-3 min.
Good luck,
Ed

Back