Picture thread

STR

Knifemaker/Moderator
I figure we need a place to show some examples of what I do, well, I should say what I've done because most of this thread will be older knives so if you have a picture of something I did for you and want to share it feel free to post it here or start your own thread on it.

Also feel free to start new threads for new topics and questions about anything you see here or for work you need answers to. I'd prefer that rather than to answer them here and get off topic.

I'll start off with a few of my own here.

Here are a few of my most recent knives that just went out this week, or within the last few weeks. These are what I call my thin gents folders. I did both of these in thicker titanium than most knives this size but I like beefy over thinner stock metal and without overscales on these they still remained relatively thin in the pocket. I'm currently working on another of the larger ones and a .125 version that will be longer in the handle that should be up soon once I get more time to focus in on them.

This bigger model shown here with four pictures was designed by my very good friend and co moderator on our other forum (Oupa and Friends over at the KF) and I was very pleased when he gave me permission to make it using his handle and blade idea. Its been a very nice little knife that a couple of other makers have also done up right now. We call it the Ouparator.

Thanks for looking.

STR

Attachments

• STR's thin gents folder OPJ.jpg
    STR's thin gents folder OPJ.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 917
  • STR's Thin gents folder OPJ lock side.jpg
    STR's Thin gents folder OPJ lock side.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 860
  • STR's thin gents folder OPJ closed.jpg
    STR's thin gents folder OPJ closed.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 661
  • STR's thin gents folder spine view of OPJ.jpg
    STR's thin gents folder spine view of OPJ.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 734
Last edited:
Best wishes for the new forum Steve!

Here are a few that you've either done for me or that I've been lucky enough to purchase after you customized them.

Atlantic Salt - blade modified to wharncliffe tip, FRN handle replaced with stablized birdseye maple over titanium liners...

maple_wharn_atl3.jpg

maple_wharn_atl1.jpg

Stretch - Stainless steel handle replaced with brown canvas micarta scales over titanium liners...

stretch_right.jpg

stretch_left.jpg

C16 Goddard - FRN handle replaced with anodized titanium

ti_goddard_open_left.jpg

ti_goddard_open_right.jpg

Stretch - Stainless steel handle replaced with lignum vitae scales over titanium liners...

str_lignum_stretch_02.jpg

str_lignum_stretch_05.jpg

Kopa - Clip screw holes filled and front bolsters reground to eliminate clip mounting "divot"...

str_kopa_02s.jpg

That might be a bit hard to appreciate if you've never seen a Kopa with the clip removed. This is a "before" shot of that bolster...

kopa_bolster.jpg

Darn 10 image limit... :D

Tasman Salt - FRN handle replaced with bead blasted aluminum...

str_tasman_07.jpg

str_tasman_03.jpg

Darn, almost forgot one, C83 Persian, second from right, - set up for LH carry with a custom titanium clip...

persian_group_shot.jpg

Thanks Steve!

congrats on having your own forum Steve, just saw it.....that's great:thumbup:

Jules

I have one other recent modified Spyderco from just last week that I'll add. This one was done for a give away. He won't be losing this one! :eek: This is a Spyderco 93mm Rescue in orange G10 with an orange lanyard and a Spyderco clip I've ended up with from one of several others I've rebuilt. Don't remember which one but I think it came off an Ocelot that I modified.
Used to be black fiberglass reinforced nylon for the handle until I got it. I also modified the blade on this one to a true Wharncliff shape.

Here is a pic of the knife before from when I used it to test edge holding on some hemp rope. http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=56561&d=1149391612

STR

One that Death's Head and I owned in a not that far past.

maxx1.jpg

bead blasted handle and reversed clip, unfortunately I don't have pics on the clip anymore; cpu crash.

Can I stay even if I don't do tacticals???

Photo removed. Too big for screen. Sorry Jimmy

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes you can my friend. Just get you a cot and camp out fellow Okie! :thumbup: Good looking stuff there.

STR

STR modded my Limited edition Walker -Lake folder 1 of 500 with the BG 42 blade. Complete redo but the pivot pin. I did do a few touch up on the handles. Love it and my fav edc. Titanium framelock and green G10 !!:thumbup:

STR, glad to see your new forum. Steve rebuilt a Spyderco jess horn for me last summer, I'm pretty sure the blade and lockbar are the only original parts left. These pictures really don't do the knife justice.
194068037_e816c242bf_o.jpg

194068034_0cc4dd9948.jpg

194068033_88db9dc238_o.jpg

Just a clip, but it was made to my specs which I think makes it a little special. I think it does a lot for the looks of this already handsome knife. I'm a bit of a pocket clip junkie though. They're often my favorite aspect of a knife.

benchmade-690-01.png

benchmade-690-02.png

Nice pictures. That one is a handsome folder. It is the kind of work that always made me think "BenchMade" because it has that handmade artisanal look to it and the wood scales? Well, those set it off in my opinion especially in conjunction with the handsome liner color they did on that one. Then again I always liked the Elishewitz designs though.

STR

I really like the coating on the blade as well. It's a black coating of some sort but is still metalic. Sort of a gunmetal look to it. I'm very greatful to Rogcohen for offering it to me. There's no way I would have ever paid what they're going for on ebay new these days.

By the way, what model BM is that? I couldn't find any number on it to ID it.

STR

dedguy's BM is a 690.

You made a really nice clip for it too. The factory clips look like a horses rump.

Thanks but I just copied a design by the owner. He deserves credit for that one. The real beauty with a mod like that is that the knife was not modified permanently so no collector value was lost really. And with the carbide coated blade no harm will likely occur there either. I found two of those for sale on Ebay after your post. Not bad knives but pricy beyond what I realized.

STR

I got mine for $90 which was a hellva a deal. I also thought that the spotting the the blade was rust. When I took the knife apart it had the same sort of orange spotting on the Ti Liners. I realized it was impossible that it was rust. It came off with just some soapy water. No idea what it was but it's gone now.

Back