Picture Thread

Question for someone more knowledgeable than me... I picked up this JK from another member a year or two ago. It's become my favorite fishing knife. Super thin blade (~.060)… thin enough and long enough to fillet a salmon (or skin a cat!) but way more utilitarian than a 'mission specific' fillet knife. I carry it in a neck sheath when I'm wearing chest waders (which is most of the time fishing). It gives me easy access to it and keeps it out of the water while I'm wading. I just love this knife! I may need one in Osage, eh John?

Anybody know what model it is? One off?

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Everything John's ever made for me has been Osage!
Hosted on Fotki

Last edited:
I think I actually called it the Fish Knife. Did you get it from Cooper or Peter? It looks like a blank I made and Peter did the handles.

I used it in fresh, salt and brackish water for two weeks fishing up in AK last month and it didn't show any signs of corrosion and really held an edge well. I did rinse it in fresh water daily but it was wet or damp for two weeks. By buddy's s30v blade was spotting rust after a few days. The JK is a great do-all knife when fishing. Cleaning fish, cutting bait, spreading peanut butter... even fending off bears! Just after I took this picture, this black bear walked up the bank and proceeded to 'play' with the small raft that I use to tend the boat (17' tide swings). Luckily, he only popped one chamber and we didn't have to swim out to the boat! I did wave my knife and swear at him from a distance but he seemed unimpressed.

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

Element O1 EDC Bowie and Kane XL.
ryEtvc4.jpg
How many jk knives do you have

John/SJ - Here are the ‘few’. Nearly all have been carried/used. The burl Bushcrafter in the center is extra special as John stamped “4-9” on it. 4-9 ‘Manchus’ was the Arctic Light Infantry BN I served with back when it was in AK. I ordered the knife when I retired from the Army after 27 years (both Active & Reserves).

s2nVjCa.jpg

Last edited:
Still my favorite! I also need to make it a new pocket sheath, I'm still carrying it around in a proto type sheath I made.

Will do, I've been busy designing wallets and some other small goods to take care of my scrap pieces, and haven't had much time do make a new sheath. Hopefully though I'll be able to start a small leather business soon and see how it goes!

Back