Pictures: Tarp shelters

bikerector

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
As I've been playing around more in the backyard with the kiddo and practicing tying knots, constructing shelters, and generally just enjoying not being in front of a computer, I've gained more interest in tarp shelters where I've always used tents or hammocks, hammocks were a recent discovery for me in the last 2 years after a great trade from a forum member for a spare BK62 I had; worked out great for both of us.

So, I'm curious what layouts do you like, what tarps you use, and just general experiences with them. I've only been playing around with inexpensive vinyl tarps for now but I have a canvas I use as a ground cover or floor cover for my tent. I'll likely get a nylon tarp as I don't actually have a cover for my hammock yet so it's a fair-weather only system right now, paired with my bivvy sack for the colder temps.

I am a fan of etowah outfitters tarps.
My 10x12 works great with my hammock in bad weather as well as using it to set up a ground shelter.
My 10x10 can be set up in a Whelan type config as well.
I'll look for some setups after work.

I use the good ol' military surplus ripstop tarp. "Field Tarp, Reversible, NSN blah blah blah", that kind.

It has alternating male and female snaps all around so you can fashion it many ways. Has all the grommets around it too.

It's 7-ish by 8-ish so it is pretty good by itself, but if you have some more, they can all snap together to make a bigger shelter. My bag, the wife's bag and both boys' BOB's have one of these in them. So if we happen to have one or more of us in close proximity, we could put together a sizable cover.

They are available all over if you look. Some outfits want a premium for them, but there's bargains to be had as well.

There are several colors and camo patterns of these out there, sometimes depends on what you find, but they are all great.

I use the good ol' military surplus ripstop tarp. "Field Tarp, Reversible, NSN blah blah blah", that kind.

It has alternating male and female snaps all around so you can fashion it many ways. Has all the grommets around it too.

It's 7-ish by 8-ish so it is pretty good by itself, but if you have some more, they can all snap together to make a bigger shelter. My bag, the wife's bag and both boys' BOB's have one of these in them. So if we happen to have one or more of us in close proximity, we could put together a sizable cover.

They are available all over if you look. Some outfits want a premium for them, but there's bargains to be had as well.

There are several colors and camo patterns of these out there, sometimes depends on what you find, but they are all great.

Never seen or heard of those, I really like that idea and the price seems good. I'm going to look around and try to get a couple.

Bumping this up as I'm considering something for me for Christmas.

Do you change things up for winter? Heavier weight tarp or just a difference configuration to shed snow better? I'm still playing around with some ideas in my back yard with my cheap vinyl tarps and then me and my son play around in them when we're in the backyard. I'm still working with different things with the lean-to setup but I'm getting ready to take that down after seeing how much snow can accumulate on it if it cups at all.

for the hammock, I just change the configuration a bit -- make sure the edges are below me, maybe close the ends in a bit to hold in heat/block the wind better.
A buddy of mine runs a line under the ridge of his tarp and hangs a poncho liner off that as a layer of insulation to help keep heat in -- says it adds about 10 degrees to the felt temps inside his hammock. the 1/2-1" gap between tarp and liner also helps reduce condensation.

for the hammock, I just change the configuration a bit -- make sure the edges are below me, maybe close the ends in a bit to hold in heat/block the wind better.
A buddy of mine runs a line under the ridge of his tarp and hangs a poncho liner off that as a layer of insulation to help keep heat in -- says it adds about 10 degrees to the felt temps inside his hammock. the 1/2-1" gap between tarp and liner also helps reduce condensation.

I was roaming the etowah website today and came across their 8' x 10' blems (silicone drip lines I guess) and thought the price was fair enough to try them out. Grabbed one for my father-in-law who wants to do the Appalachian Trail next year so I figured an upgrade may be appreciated.

I like the idea of the tie-outs instead of grommets after seeing those as a big failing point in the "play" tarp shelters in my backyard with PE tarps, especially the light-duty things that didn't hold up well for me in the high winds we've had recently.

Updated the kid's playhouse for winter with the big green tarp. Not the best layout but it does a decent job blocking the wind and giving us space to sit and play outside.

IiGINJul.jpg

Toggle tie-down for the entry side.
IQNI5Ool.jpg

There's still a gap in the ceiling because of how I laid the 2-tarps out but on dry days it's nice to be able to see out some when we're mostly after wind protection while "hiding" from Mom.
nStKLOAl.jpg

UqGzPb6l.jpg

qstweALl.jpg

I may adjust the back up later for a better lean-to style for overhead coverage but I didn't change that from the original layout where I used a different tarp for the top fold. We like playing it in so far. We'll see how it holds up to snow. So far, it's shedding water and sleet quite well.

Back