Pictures: What knife would you show a knife-nut versus average person

You get the idea.

I don't know if this is a good idea for a thread or not, but let's try it. Pictures must be from your collection.

Let's say you want to advance the cause of knife appreciation. If you want to inspire a knife person, you might show them one knife. If you want to inspire the average person who isn't into knives and not scare them, you might show them something different. Say why.

Its just for fun, don't take it too seriously! I'll start.

Knife Nuts: Rogovets one-off design. Built by a watch maker, good steel, precise machining, feels great in your hand, you could put an eye out with that thing if you're not careful!

Qf5QUjw.png

Non Knife Nuts: John Leitch Acero. Nice click when you open and close, pocket jewelry, great for a gentleman.

3pRsvzi.jpg

I've found that there are several kind of knife users, and I work in a profession where most everyone has a knife of some sort.

Ive sharpened a few of them. One guy had a spyderco pm2 that was so dull that if you put it over your finger and hit it with a mallet, you'd break your finger but not the skin.

The others ive seen were commonly cheap ckrt, gerber, China kershaw, etc. Not one could tell any difference between my mid-tech knives in good steel that were like 10x in price and 10x the quality. Why? Because those things I went far out of my way and expense to acquire....would never be worth the expense to them.....save 1. I gave the pm2 guy an extra bussekin 511 that I had laying around from a grab bag. He loves that thing. Good match for him too....after seeing that blunt pm2.

But my group of friends, just by judging their reactions, seeing their knives, and such.....they lust after my edges, but they won't ever put any time or $ into it. So I don't bother really. And I never let them touch mine. They are your typical normie knife users. They'd take a knife with a shaving, polished, micro-beveled, stropped edge and shove it into sandy gravely soil and pry up a buried piece of junk because it looked cool.

Would a midtech knife really be worth 10x the price just to cut something? Would it cut 10x better? Or 10 times more material? Would it take just 1/10 less effort to cut than a knife 1/10 less expensive?

Would a midtech knife really be worth 10x the price just to cut something? Would it cut 10x better? Or 10 times more material? Would it take just 1/10 less effort to cut than a knife 1/10 less expensive?

That is the question, I imagine.

I've found that in life, the more preformance one wants, the more the price increases while the improvement per dollar spent lessens.

Some are willing to spend the money for those improvements because they matter. Others would never get the pleasure derived due to the expense incurred. Much like most can appreciate a supercar, even enjoy driving one once. But putting their cash into it.....removes their desire and enjoyment.

That's kind of my point. People who want nice things tend to seek them out. Others may appreciate nice things, but most would never be willing to actually acqiure an example or use it due to the expense.

Well the last time our State Fair had a Show Your Knife contest I brought my Case Astronaut Machete and covered all bases.

If I ever got a knife nut up in my bedroom where all the good knives are I'd probably just whip them out in alphabetical order.

Probably fun to share most of mine with a fellow knife nut .

Average person ...maybe my SAK or multitools ?

I'd be afraid to "whip 'em out in the bedroom", alphabetically or not ! :p
Well the last time our State Fair had a Show Your Knife contest I brought my Case Astronaut Machete and covered all bases.

If I ever got a knife nut up in my bedroom where all the good knives are I'd probably just whip them out in alphabetical order.

I would bust out my most expensive blade.
Impress the knife guy(hopefully!).
Let the non knife person know that knives are more than just cutting tools to me.

I don't own one (and I don't think I will EVER) but even if someone is not knife-trained, as long as they have good taste, they would probably be able to appreciate the work and materials that go into soething like a... William Henry?? Leave the price tag on if you really want the to drop their jaws.

For knife nuts... well, I guess we could clasify them into several categories... and I am pretty sure that someone that drolls over a Busse Basic (I wish I could get one of those) might not give a second look to a slipjoint. So this is a tough one.

Mikel

Here is how you impress non-knife people of all ages:

Impressing knife nuts is much harder, since they come at all levels of collecting, and some would be impressed by anything less than a Buster Warenski or Bob Loveless knife in mint condition. You really have to know your audience here.

I attended Blade with a few non-knife friends a few years back. We all had a lot of fun, but what drew their attention most was the Bud-K type knives in the back of the room. They were attracted by the colorful bling; and, I get it. That is what you would notice too if you are not accustom to looking at blade materials, even quality grinds, handle material, finish, sheathing, etc. Loud catches our attention until we learn enough to mentally cross it off as junk.

n2s

Last edited:
I remember back in 1987, I was still in my early 20s, there was a grand opening for the new Miami Bayside Marketplace. It has long since become little more than a seedy tourist attraction. But, when it first opened it had been conceived as a high end shopping center. It initially had a large store dedicated to sporting goods, especially high end/deep sea/big game sports fishing gear. In a corner they had set up a couple of counters with a hundred or so custom knives. I was completely unfamiliar with custom knives at the time and remember staring in shock at the price tags which even then ranged well into the $thousands. Today, I would be all over that stuff, but my reaction at the time was more like "who would be crazy enough to buy this?"

Knives like everything else are an acquired taste. Show non-connoisseurs a $5,000.00 bottle of wine, and they will probably tell you it would be more convenient with a screw cap. :rolleyes::eek::rolleyes:

n2s

Last edited:
I rarely show my knives to anybody. A co-worker was once pretty wowed by my Leek. ( No, I didn’t whip it out.) in return, he showed me his S&W folder.

At this point for me I don't have many pocket candy knives... most of mine are between 100-250 range and have battle scars from me using them at work

So not sure if I would impresses a knife nut with dirty g10 and scratched blades... but it sure makes me happy lol

Knife knuts? I show them my Bailey Model 2.

Sheeple? The Becker BK5.

Back