Pictures you took while you should have been working

(I got an idea, and couldn't find a similar thread. Hopefully you enjoy)

Surely we've taken knife pictures when we should have been updating spreadsheets or cleaning off tables, operating machinery or moving boxes.

We all do it. Post em up! Maybe some stories to go with it?

I work as an office assistant at the moment. Not the most glorious job, but it's what I have for now.

Here's some recent photos I've taken in my cubicle while I absolutely should have been doing something more productive!

20200625_072923~2_resize_45.jpg 20200622_072439~2_resize_19.jpg 20200624_065229~2_resize_28.jpg 20200618_065759~2_resize_75.jpg

I'm not answerable to anyone, so im lucky that i can do what i like when i like. But even with all the time i have i could not take as sharp and clear a picture as you do when your being a sneaky cameraman at work :)

view

82460299-AAB7-49AC-88FE-78C945C3E535.jpeg D1DC2DB7-DBC8-4B41-9DB8-4F0BC3D86DF2.jpeg 4E651B1D-0365-46F6-A160-B0AFDD010284.jpeg 34B4CAEE-C916-46B0-B730-A46331012398.jpeg F5CF7B28-EFEF-44F9-BD57-B77466F4864D.jpeg View attachment 1366751

these were taken at work.
The first one someone vented a gas fired clothes dryer over head then down into the oil burner flue. Could easily have killed everyone in the house. From carbon monoxide.

second is a ball valve installed under a boiler relief valve. Someone shuts that valve it’s a bomb. Could have killed everyone in the house plus a couple neighbors.

then a cool cement head

a neat little hammer. Almost looks like it was made from a crow bar

my edc pouch with two different knives. I took the picture to send to the manufacturer because I cut the hammer loop off and would like them to offer it as an option.

Last edited:
View attachment 1366745 View attachment 1366746 View attachment 1366747 View attachment 1366748 View attachment 1366749 View attachment 1366750 View attachment 1366751

these were taken at work.
The first one someone vented a gas fired clothes dryer over head then down into the oil burner flue.

second is a ball valve installed under a boiler relief valve.

then a cool cement head

a neat little hammer

my edc pouch with two different knives.

That's awesome! Thanks for participating :D

View attachment 1368593 Called out on a service call this afternoon. Admiring a lot of odd conduit runs. Why didn’t they just 90 down into the top of the four square instead of adding another 90 into the side? Three 90s and they haven’t even started the run yet
I do a lot of work in an 200 year old carpet mill and if that makes you scratch your head then you would have no hair left if you could see the conduit atrocities I have ripped out over the years never mind the back fed circuits or #12 wire tapped onto 100 amp 480 volt runs. Just today I replaced a 20 amp branch circuit that melted on a 30 amp fuse, Yup I said fuse screw style.

I now have a ranch and run a small one man auto repair/fab shop. Every picture I take I should or could be doing something more important.

View attachment 1368593 Called out on a service call this afternoon. Admiring a lot of odd conduit runs. Why didn’t they just 90 down into the top of the four square instead of adding another 90 into the side? Three 90s and they haven’t even started the run yet

Most likely an easy job where the journeyman/master was teaching an apprentice how to bend conduit. We used to start them off in a room and teach them how to bend 90s. Next room was offsets, and so on. Ya then turn them loose and let them decide on their own what to bend and were. After they have to pull the wire in some crazy crap like that even the hardest head won't listen to you learns. Well they learn or you weed them out.

Last edited:
I see we're micarta Inkosi pals!

I work at the electric company for the city, actually. There's quite a few messy areas feeding neighborhoods too, but unfortunately the company likes to take the "wait until it breaks then claim insurance" method instead of preemptively fixing it.

I do a lot of work in an 200 year old carpet mill and if that makes you scratch your head then you would have no hair left if you could see the conduit atrocities I have ripped out over the years never mind the back fed circuits or #12 wire tapped onto 100 amp 480 volt runs. Just today I replaced a 20 amp branch circuit that melted on a 30 amp fuse, Yup I said fuse screw style.
Yea that’s neat compared to a ton of things I’ve seen over the years. Changed out a ton of fuse panels over the years. I’ve seen 2inch emt change over to 3inch emt mid run just sleeving over each other, garden hose instead of liquid-tite, back feeds into panels (learned that the hard way). One good one that just pops into my head at the moment was on an apartment complex. They had a main sidearm disconnect that killed the whole building in the basement. The switch had basically broke so the sidearm didn’t work. They would take a rope and wrap it around the bar that pulls the blades in and out to the fuses and just jerk it to kill the power. Then very carefully hammer it back in. Gotta love finding butt splices inside conduit, and green wire ran everywhere. Was on one and they had ran green for everything, and I mean everything. Saw a 100amp sub feed come out of a panel. They stubbed 2inch pvc up into the ceiling, ran exposed triplex for a minute then switched back to emt. Must’ve not had a 90 that day. The list goes on and on.
I see we're micarta Inkosi pals!

I work at the electric company for the city, actually. There's quite a few messy areas feeding neighborhoods too, but unfortunately the company likes to take the "wait until it breaks then claim insurance" method instead of preemptively fixing it.

Love my micarta inkosi’s for sure. The Insingo is a more useful shape in my opinion. I’ve got a black Inkosingo. Hard for me to carry much of anything else lately.
Most of our power company’s around here are easy to deal with and try to do a good job. Not many complaints on my end.

Most of our power company’s around here are easy to deal with and try to do a good job. Not many complaints on my end.
That's good, definitely. They're starting to change their colors here it looks like, at least. A lawsuit or two will do that lol.

I now have a ranch and run a small one man auto repair/fab shop. Every picture I take I should or could be doing something more important.

Most likely an easy job where the journeyman/master was teaching an apprentice how to bend conduit. We used to start them off in a room and teach them how to bend 90s. Next room was offsets, and so on. Ya then turn them loose and let them decide on their own what to bend and were. After they have to pull the wire in some crazy crap like that even the hardest head won't listen to you learns. Well they learn or you weed them out.
You pipe it you pull it.
In all honesty the bending itself is not the hard part. The skill comes from the planning and measuring I think. Knowing what routes to take and so on.
I started by bending stub 90s for days. We were stacking pipe in block walls on a restaurant rough in. I’d take scrap pipe home and practice, read uglys book and a GB pamphlet. I definitely had some growing pains and frustrations learning it but now it’s second nature.
When I first started Mc cable was not an option. It was outlawed here for a long time. Nowadays you see it more and more. Takes all the craftsmanship out of it in my opinion

You pipe it you pull it.
In all honesty the bending itself is not the hard part. The skill comes from the planning and measuring I think. Knowing what routes to take and so on.
I started by bending stub 90s for days. We were stacking pipe in block walls on a restaurant rough in. I’d take scrap pipe home and practice, read uglys book and a GB pamphlet. I definitely had some growing pains and frustrations learning it but now it’s second nature.
When I first started Mc cable was not an option. It was outlawed here for a long time. Nowadays you see it more and more. Takes all the craftsmanship out of it in my opinion

Yes sir some skill in planning it out, esp when a whole crew on the job all working different rooms that in the end get joined. I started out doing schools where we had big long wings and we were all scattered about. I hate MC (or BX for the old timers). I just think it looks bad and poorly planned in any new construction. I do understand it's usefulness in remodels when it's all you can get down a wall. Right before I had to quit doing electrical work I think somebody's pockets were getting lined because it seemed like every job we got MC was in the specs.

Back