Pictures you took while you should have been working

I was on my way into the dock office, to sign in for the load I was supposed to pick up when I saw this "oops".
View attachment 1436169

While on my 10 hour break, per DOT regulations then in effect (I don't know if the regulations have changed again in the four years since I was forced to retire due to health reasons) to reset my drive time clock, I decided to take a picture of "my" truck. (This might be at the TA in Seville, Ohio, a couple miles from the yard.
View attachment 1436171

What I drove sometimes for the TV station a friend used to own. She may not be pretty, but she never failed to start, even after sitting 6 or 7 years. (with new batteries or used batteries out of some of their cars and maybe a jump when using the car batteries)
(350 Cummins Big Cam III, 14.9 or 15 liter, I forget which, turbocharged inline 6 cylinder diesel connected to a 9 speed manual Rockwell transmission.)
A previous owner swapped out the original 20 inch wheels and tires, and mounted 24's.
I didn't know 65mph indicated was really over 90mph, until my friend followed my and said he couldn't keep up at 90 mph, when he reached our destination. :D
View attachment 1436172
the forklift dropped through the floor of the container?
What's the weight limit in there?

the forklift dropped through the floor of the container?
What's the weight limit in there?
53 foot semi trailer. It was damaged somehow/rotted prior to the forklift going in. It had to be.
The forklift isn't that big or heavy, just 6,000 to 8,000 pounds, max.
They didn't overload my box truck (32,500 gvwr) going in. Those trailers have a 50,000 to 60,000 pound load capacity.
Some of the pallets going to the auto and heavy truck (class 7 and 8) assembly plants can weigh as much or more than that fork lift. Come to that, so can a pallet with reams of paper. (trailers that regularly carry paper have cross-members on 6 or 8 inch centers. A general purpose trailer has them on 14 to 16 inch centers. Paper is heavy.)
If they hauled spools of news paper, wire rope, or rolls of steel ... those can weigh in excess of 25,000 pounds each, and put the load over a smaller area than a forklift does.
I don't know how old that trailer was. My guess is 15 to 20 years old, with as much as 1.5 to 2 million miles on it, if dedicated to a tractor that does the average 100,000 miles a year. (solo driver. teams get more dispatched miles. I knew a couple teams that averaged 180,000 - 200,000 miles a year. They don't have to stop every ten hours to reset their drive time clocks. Stop for fuel every 9.5~9.75 hours, after getting fuel, change drivers, since the one off duty in the sleeper will have his or her ten hours by the time they're done fueling and checking engine fluids.) (one usually goes in to whatever fast food is there, and gets meals for both while the other stays with the truck.)

Last edited:
1485569015098-jpg.1436169
:eek: that could've ended very badly for someone!

Back