Pictures

I am thinking of selling a Busse Combat knife that I don't use to pick up two Survive knives. Does anyone have a picture off the whole Survive line up together so I can see the size difference? Thanks in advance

Not the whole line up and sadly not my knives either lol , but here is the GSO 6 , 5.1 , 5 and 4.1 . That should give you some idea .

_57_zpseb4fc5ba.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Mike, that is a nice collection. I hate you a little right now =)

Tell me about that 5. Was it part of the limited edition gold plating run???

Here are my current baby's. GSO 10, GSO 7/7, GSO 4.1, Necker. Soon to be joined by a Necker II and GSO 3.5.:D

Last edited:
Silver you clearly didn't read my post lol . Those are not my knives (I wish !) . These are my only 2 Survive knives , the GSO 5 and the Necker II

P1070465_zps1ac0dd96.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I think a GSO 6 and 4 are in my future. I think that would make a nice pair. Thanks for the pictures, and feel free to keep them coming.

I think a GSO 6 and 4 are in my future. I think that would make a nice pair. Thanks for the pictures, and feel free to keep them coming.

I just posted some pictures yesterday with nearly the whole line together.

The 6 and 4.1 are maybe a little closer in size than I'd want in a pair. The 6 and the 3.5 would be more like the Steel Heart and MS pairing. 6 and 4 more like SH and BA--a very capable duo but neither is really the "big" knife nor the "small" knife.

Let me know if there are other pics you'd like to see. I took a pile of them yesterday and still have the knives together so snapping a few more would be relatively painless. :)

Food for thought...

B

Brian... Even though the 6 should be able to do most large chores, just like the 4.1 could do most small chores, if I have a pack which I normally do, my Basic 11 will normally be with me as well. What advantages do you see having the 3.5 instead of the 4.1? I do see some of the logic as I have an ESEE 6 with a piggyback setup with the ESEE 3 on it. I do like that setup. I guess it would be just like having the ESEE 4 strapped to the 6 and your right, might be a bit much.

If I was on a light hike and only brought one I would prefer having the 4 over the 3, but have yet to hold either in the hand yet. What would be the two you would want off all that Survive makes? Any two?

Gotcha!

The 4.1 (or SK4) is, far and away, my favorite in the lineup. It's "just right" size-wise, thickness-wise, and the grip is as comfortable as I have held.

My runner-up would be the 6.

(Yeah, didn't I just say to pair the 3.5 with the 6 instead of the 4.1?) :foot:

If you have a dedicated chopper and just want a couple of very capable blades then those are fantastic choices but for a "pair" of knives (if you're thinking of a piggyback type setup) I think they're a little too close.

I have been carrying the 3.5 on my belt for the past few days and it has been used for everything including prepping dinner and cutting up lunch and, while a bit short in blade length, it has done the job without raising an eyebrow when I'm out and about. I'm going to take it out tomorrow and beat on it in the woods a little to see if it's a small knife or a small "big" knife--one that punches above its weight class. :)

What are you thinking of getting rid of and will the Survive Knives be intended to replace it functionally or just something different to try? (Not that there is anything wrong either way.) :D

B

I agree, if piggybacked the 3.5 would work better. I will be keeping a Boss Jack, love it for the size. My Basic 11 will probably be in the casket with me when I go. I also am keeping my Swamprat Ratmandu. The one I think I will sell is a Busse DSSF with Buy Brown sheath. I love the way it feels, it's still new, but it's in a size that I already have great users in the mix. It's a 8" blade at .22 thick. It's kinda a Boss Jack on steroids but with a better grip. I got it to replace the boss Jack but I grew attached to the boss Jack.

I have others too, just always wanted to try out the survive knives. I don't think they will any better or worse then other quality knives, but I like to try all the ones I can. I do need a couple more uncoated blades and these stood out in my mind quality wise.

This is the one I would be replacing, or changing I should say. Great knife, light weight and strong, just wanted to try something else.

Back