PIF-ERS just talking shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I been having some Axis lock problems on the 550 Griptilian I received as a PIF. It was sticking and felt rough and inconsistent in it's lock up. Cleaning and adjusting the knife did not help at all. Up on closer examination, I found a lot of wear on the inside of the left liner. I figured that sending it to Benchmade would take care of the problem but I don't really want to be without this knife so soon after getting it. The solution? Swapping the liners from side to side and a little Blue Lube. :) Now it is smooth, just like it should be.

But how am I repaid for my efforts? The sucker bit me on the left hand! I guess I should just consider this a love bite. Just like with a cat. They say a pocket knife really is not truly yours until you get cut by it.

One step closer to possibly making this my full size EDC folder. Now for some research on aftermarket scales.

Well, I been having some Axis lock problems on the 550 Griptilian I received as a PIF. It was sticking and felt rough and inconsistent in it's lock up. Cleaning and adjusting the knife did not help at all. Up on closer examination, I found a lot of wear on the inside of the left liner. I figured that sending it to Benchmade would take care of the problem but I don't really want to be without this knife so soon after getting it. The solution? Swapping the liners from side to side and a little Blue Lube. :) Now it is smooth, just like it should be.

But how am I repaid for my efforts? The sucker bit me on the left hand! I guess I should just consider this a love bite. Just like with a cat. They say a pocket knife really is not truly yours until you get cut by it.

One step closer to possibly making this my full size EDC folder. Now for some research on aftermarket scales.
Hmmm. That thing was smooth when I checked it and I bet it hadnt been opened more then 50 since new. Might want to send it back. I am bummed

Hmmm. That thing was smooth when I checked it and I bet it hadnt been opened more then 50 since new. Might want to send it back. I am bummed

Don’t be bummed. It was smooth as glass if the pivot screw was not adjusted. You yourself said the pivot was not right. Or something like that.

Now all the blade play is gone. Lock up is better and blade centering is spot on. I am tickled pink about the blade centering.
I get anal about that.

Actually, I am tickled about the whole knife. My friend Ed has one that I have tried to get from him more than once. Now I have my own, in better shape than his. Better steel too.

One of these has been out of my reach for years. Because of your kindness (and South paw draw)
I now get to enjoy one and have a great story to go with it.

No reason to feel bummed.

Don’t be bummed. It was smooth as glass if the pivot screw was not adjusted. You yourself said the pivot was not right. Or something like that.

Now all the blade play is gone. Lock up is better and blade centering is spot on. I am tickled pink about the blade centering.
I get anal about that.

Actually, I am tickled about the whole knife. My friend Ed has one that I have tried to get from him more than once. Now I have my own, in better shape than his. Better steel too.

One of these has been out of my reach for years. Because of your kindness (and South paw draw)
I now get to enjoy one and have a great story to go with it.

No reason to feel bummed.
Ok good! I would keep an eye on it though if the liner is wearing out. Glad you like it. It really is hard to beat for edc. I liked my awt scales but it does change the ergonomics a lot. The new micarta ones dont look like they would.

Ok good! I would keep an eye on it though if the liner is wearing out. Glad you like it. It really is hard to beat for edc. I liked my awt scales but it does change the ergonomics a lot. The new micarta ones dont look like they would.
A set of blem AWT scales are $49 and it does indeed change the grip entirely. Never had a set of the micarta's. But I'm thinking of picking up a set for the freek.

Last edited:
I have the S30v one that I like a lot. Picked this up for the micarta only. I am fine with S30v but like I said I’m a sucker for micarta.
Congrates on the win! The Nationals came through due to your support.:eek:

Congrates on the win! The Nationals came through due to your support.:eek:
Thank you!!! Not only did my team win but my annual physical was rescheduled today because apparently my primary care doctor was traveling with the team in case someone wasn't feeling well. Now I have more time to change my bad habits and get in better shape before my physical ;)

Got that Splinter back in from RayseM RayseM Those screws were in there tight but it's amazing what a little heat will do!

i-jpRPhQt-X2.jpg

Got them broke free and disassembled w/ no issues... and got the detent all fixed up and dialed in, no more lock down - it doesn't matter whether you push on the lockbar now or not it will open no problem. And... I also included a little function mod that I think you will be REALLY happy with Ray!

Also, when I opened up the package I had a pleasant little surprise inside from Ray!! A Nitecore EC11 flashlight w/ a new rechargeable battery - this little light is amazing and I'm so excited to have it, THANKS Ray!!!

i-NvPPRxM-X2.jpg

Splinter is heading back out today Ray, I'll PM you a tracking number

Got that Splinter back in from RayseM RayseM Those screws were in there tight but it's amazing what a little heat will do!

i-jpRPhQt-X2.jpg

Got them broke free and disassembled w/ no issues... and got the detent all fixed up and dialed in, no more lock down - it doesn't matter whether you push on the lockbar now or not it will open no problem. And... I also included a little function mod that I think you will be REALLY happy with Ray!

Also, when I opened up the package I had a pleasant little surprise inside from Ray!! A Nitecore EC11 flashlight w/ a new rechargeable battery - this little light is amazing and I'm so excited to have it, THANKS Ray!!!

i-NvPPRxM-X2.jpg

Splinter is heading back out today Ray, I'll PM you a tracking number
That whole setup looks great Josh, is that some type of adapter on your heat gun, looks like it puts the heat right where needed, by the way, any chance that folder is for sale? lol!

That whole setup looks great Josh, is that some type of adapter on your heat gun, looks like it puts the heat right where needed, by the way, any chance that folder is for sale? lol!
Thanks man! That is a mini heat gun which did indeed include a small tip which was PERFECT for knives. The heat gun is nice because it has an adjustable fan speed and adjustable heat setting so it's amazing.

Not yet on the Kuros, sorry bro! This one is my EDC haha. Should be finishing some soon though! Working on one of the first ones today actually.

Just taking a break from moving...
Got way behind it's been almost completely a solo effort. Day 6 and I'm feeling dead :( got a cold on top of no rest.
But it's awesome to see this last exchange. Great gesture RayseM RayseM !
REK Knives REK Knives I will have to ship your knife Friday afternoon or Saturday morning. Very sorry for the delay.
No problem!! I know that has to be exhausting. No rush on my end!

I was all set to be done with new knives but I have to say Josh I'm lookin forward to getting one of yours!
I'm guessing the queue is getting long. :( :thumbsup:

Glad you like the light. Great little beamer for trick or treat. :) Thanks so much for the Splinter fix.

Ray
No problem!! Yeah it's a sweet little light and BRIGHT to :)

No lines on my folders... I do have a few long time loyal costumers I'll be hooking up first but after that it is first come first serve and just depends how fast you are on the draw lol

Just taking a break from moving...
Got way behind it's been almost completely a solo effort. Day 6 and I'm feeling dead :( got a cold on top of no rest.
But it's awesome to see this last exchange. Great gesture RayseM RayseM !
REK Knives REK Knives I will have to ship your knife Friday afternoon or Saturday morning. Very sorry for the delay.
Hope you start to feel better and good to hear your almost. All moved in. That box for David Mary should be there tomorrow or Saturday. Thanks for handling that for us. Let me know how you like that little tangram.

D dsalazar Let me know if or when the Tenacious is headed my way so I can package all the stuff together ;)
It will be our within the next couple days . Should be with you by Monday-Wednesday. I started to use my noodle. Grabbed some boxes and labels at the post office to package everything at home and just drop it off. I always would package stuff there. Ever get looks while your trying to stuff a 6 inch fixed blade into a small flat rate and the handle is sticking out. Hahahah kidding about the handle sticking out

Headed to the south side or San Francisco for a job interview. Cross your fingers fella's. Not that I get the job but that I don't get a ticket or three. Hate taking the red ticket maker across the bridge. They seem to like pulling it over for some reason. Talk with you all in about 4ish hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back