PIF-ERS just talking shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys I just wanted to let you know what's going on. I'm in the process of buying a house which is why I've been a little less talkitive lately. Closing is on the 25th. I will continue to keep the list maintained just don't worry if it's not until the end of the day or something. Not in need of anything just letting y'all know what's up!

Hey guys I just wanted to let you know what's going on. I'm in the process of buying a house which is why I've been a little less talkitive lately. Closing is on the 25th. I will continue to keep the list maintained just don't worry if it's not until the end of the day or something. Not in need of anything just letting y'all know what's up!
Congrats on the house!

Going to have another PIF up over the weekend, maybe later. And I'll be scouring the flea markets on Columbus day looking for rare oddities and any doubles I can post up.
I think I'm about to be in the market for a new EDC. I EDC spyderco ladybugs. Had five of them that I sold/lost one. I replaced it and realize I keep dropping it when having it on my lap and when pulling things out my pocket. Think its time I switch back to a EDC with a pocket clip.

I believe it's how I lost my last one. Either while getting out the car or while pulling stuff out my pockets going to the car. I am going to end up losing this one at this rate. My ladybugs aren't going up though. Those are my babies.

Congrats on the house Jupiter. It's a huge pain in the ass but if it's the home you really want it's worth it.

Congrats!

WValtakis WValtakis I was told by South paw draw South paw draw that you could point me in the right direction for what cheap stones and care items I should get for the new knives I've got coming from the amazing members of this thread and site. Be gentle it's been since high school that I've touched a wet stone! ....that sentence just doesn't sound right!

While I'm no sharpening expert, I can certainly give some advice:thumbsup: Personally, I use diamonds for almost everything with ceramics for quick touchup... if you're looking for something easy to use I always suggest the sharpmaker with the additional diamond or CBN rods.

What's your budget?

While I'm no sharpening expert, I can certainly give some advice:thumbsup: Personally, I use diamonds for almost everything with ceramics for quick touchup... if you're looking for something easy to use I always suggest the sharpmaker with the additional diamond or CBN rods.

What's your budget?

Thanks for the help! Is $40 wasting my time on something that won't deliver or will be replaced should I start to dive head first into this?!?

Thanks for the help! Is $40 wasting my time on something that won't deliver or will be replaced should I start to dive head first into this?!?
Honestly, I'd save up a bit more and pick up a Sharpmaker...everyone who cares about a sharp knife should have one;) Edit- there's currently a Sharpmaker available in the PIF thread I believe.

If you get in a pinch and need to reset an edge though, there's a really cheap set of diamond plates available at Harbor Freight...not pretty but they will hog off material

Last edited:
Honestly, I'd save up a bit more and pick up a Sharpmaker...everyone who cares about a sharp knife should have one;) Edit- there's currently a Sharpmaker available in the PIF thread I believe.

If you get in a pinch and need to reset an edge though, there's a really cheap set of diamond plates available at Harbor Freight...not pretty but they will hog off material
Wasn't there a sharp maker on the pif boards? Or did someone claim it?

Thanks for the recommendations! Going to look into that system! Sounds like that would cover most all of my bases!

" I like big blades and I can not lie....."
Realized not too long ago that I didn't own a machete, you what that means. I found both of these in the last couple weeks. I've seen many cheap chinese ones, stayed away from those. The bolo is Tramontina (Brasil). The other one is Promedoca, Dominican republic. I think I may need a Kukri now.......

Giddyup
Cosmo

20191013_180707 by , on Flickr

" I like big blades and I can not lie....."
Realized not too long ago that I didn't own a machete, you what that means. I found both of these in the last couple weeks. I've seen many cheap chinese ones, stayed away from those. The bolo is Tramontina (Brasil). The other one is Promedoca, Dominican republic. I think I may need a Kukri now.......

Giddyup
Cosmo

20191013_180707 by , on Flickr
Dude thems some " head toos the choppa's"

A Andrewq Wagner , Sharpmaker, aka, SharpKeeper is an excellent tool. Can be left out and used without any production or water and so can be used often and easily. Mine is used frequently and with great results. Even though I have a very nice array of diamond plates, water stones - natural and man made, and arkansas stones, the SharpMaker is my go to set up.

The down side - very slow process trying to get a bad edge to good with the SM even with an extra set of diamond rods (these are essential add-on to the kit IMHO). 'S why I call it the SharpKeeper. Too many new blades come in with uneven edges from side to side and otherwise bad grinds. You could spend 90 minutes on the SM trying to improve or reprofile and not achieve perfection. Still with patience and if you aren't a super duper sharp edge nurd, i.e., slicing paper sharp is OK for today, shaving sharp or air bleed sharp good for tomorrow - A few or more sessions on the SM will eventually correct a bad edge and one day you will find it being a flawless slicer. Once you have that perfect edge the SM will keep it going. Especially good for serrated blades too.

A KME guided sharpening system is a bit more money but faster at repairing edges and with lots more "stone" options. It is a good mate to the SM system.

Well worth reading some of the sharpening threads in the Maintenance & Tinkering sub-form, watching the Spyderco SharpMaker videos and reading what other say, specifically about how to get the best from it. Knowing about the apex, burrs, stropping, angles etc. and highlighting your edge with a marker to reveal your process, is all for the good.

Good luck. Welcome to BF and PIF :thumbsup:

Ray

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back