Pin hole

Hickory n steel

Gold Member
Just curious, do any Victorinox models with the pin hole ever actually come with a pin in it ?

I had a Champion for a couple of years before discovering it had the pin hole - with a pin in it.

Pins are so inexpensive, why don't they just include it with every model that has the hole for it.
Like the tinker for example.

I've had some models with the pin, and some with just the hole and no pin. Easy enough to just stick one in. I think the addition of a pin, or at least a slot to put one, has been a great feature with newer model SAKs. I have found it very useful.

My explorer plus came with the pin included. I believe that I had to add the pin myself on the other sak's I own though. I really wish the bigger sak's had the pin hole. It would be a great addition to my Trekker.

I think the answer is "No". I have more then 10 models of Vic, but only Swisschamp have a pin.

Pins are so inexpensive, why don't they just include it with every model that has the hole for it.

Probably an extra step that would require hand labor that just thinking about makes my fingers hurt, or a specialized apparatus that would take a bazillion pins to make it pay for itself. And because pins are so cheap, the customer could easily install one, if necessary. If I were to carry a pin in any of my SAKs, it would probably be in the Sportsman or Tinker, but neither of mine has a pin hole. But frankly, in the 24+ years I’ve had my S’champ, I may have used the pin 2 or 3 times. I’ve used the hook more often.

The replacements are 50 cents including postage.I heard they are stainless steel. The diameter is 0.7 mm. The appropriate drill would be a #70 (wire size) drill bit if you wanted to retrofit one.

Probably an extra step that would require hand labor that just thinking about makes my fingers hurt, or a specialized apparatus that would take a bazillion pins to make it pay for itself. And because pins are so cheap, the customer could easily install one, if necessary. If I were to carry a pin in any of my SAKs, it would probably be in the Sportsman or Tinker, but neither of mine has a pin hole. But frankly, in the 24+ years I’ve had my S’champ, I may have used the pin 2 or 3 times. I’ve used the hook more often.

Have you seen a Victorinox factory video ?
They hand test the walk & talk of every function of every knife, and install the toothpick, tweezers, and pens in every knife . So it's really not a stretch to think that they could simply insert a pin into every model with said hole.
What I really don't like is the fact that they don't even list the pin hole or ability to hold a pin on the back of the packaging of models that have it.

Have you seen a Victorinox factory video ?
They hand test the walk & talk of every function of every knife, and install the toothpick, tweezers, and pens in every knife . So it's really not a stretch to think that they could simply insert a pin into every model with said hole.
What I really don't like is the fact that they don't even list the pin hole or ability to hold a pin on the back of the packaging of models that have it.

The real question is "Since you can buy 250 straight pins for a buck, why would you care?" #firstworldproblems

The real question is "Since you can buy 250 straight pins for a buck, why would you care?" #firstworldproblems

Because I don't need 250 of them and don't really like having to buy one.
Victorinox intended for a pin to go in that hole and they should've included one. It's not a major deal though and I won't be buying a pack of pins, I'm going to get one from my grandmother's sewing kit next time I visit her.
I probably have one around somewhere, like the one that came with my vic card light but I have no clue where.

The one supplied by Vic is stainless steel, which is less common. They charge 50 cents for one, including postage, so if you want to go authentic, that’s cheap enough. But my wife has a sewing kit with a pincushion, so that’s where I got mine for my Sportsman. I will probably never use it, but you know, nature abhors a vacuum ;) .

The one supplied by Vic is stainless steel, which is less common. They charge 50 cents for one, including postage, so if you want to go authentic, that’s cheap enough. But my wife has a sewing kit with a pincushion, so that’s where I got mine for my Sportsman. I will probably never use it, but you know, nature abhors a vacuum ;) .

The last 3 splinters I've had were too deep or stuck to remove with just the vic tweezers, and I had to pick with a safety pin before I could grab them.

Back