Pistol/dagger project

I thought you might like to see what I'm working on. Its a French style dagger forged from 52100 and has a barrel on it. The double guard is also the hammer and trigger. Right now its still in the rough but you can get the idea I hope. I will throw in more photos as it progresses.

100_0637_edited.jpg

100_0648_edited.jpg

Patience, patience, patience. I can't wait to see this one finished, your work is always an inspiration, now leave those darn birds alone and get back to work. :p

Bill

Very Cool.....:D:D:D I need to get another lathe. I sold mine when i moved and now I'm missing it. I love your cut n shoot projects.

bruce.....i'm sure it's gonna be spectacular.....one thing i've always wondered.....are these gun/knife combos you make based on historical pieces.....if so is there anywhere i can read about them or find out more info on them.....they are so cool.......i'd love to know more about them.....ryan

bruce.....i'm sure it's gonna be spectacular.....one thing i've always wondered.....are these gun/knife combos you make based on historical pieces.....if so is there anywhere i can read about them or find out more info on them.....they are so cool.......i'd love to know more about them.....ryan

They are not copies of anything but instead are inspired from originals I see in antique gun books. In the "Day of Old" the makers (just like us) had more imagination and also no set rules to go by. Anything was acceptable and mostly innovative for that time period. I spend my time thumbing through books for ideas. I havent really invented anything new. I bet the old makers would have loved to have our tools:D

Bruce, Thanks a million for letting us in on your action mechanics! That is simple and very elegant. That one will be extra special because we can watch it grow up. Are you going to incluse a pic of the test firing when you're done?

-Page

bruce....i'm sure it's a miracle they made anything with the tools they had.....thanks for sharing...can't wait to see this one and don't forget about that bike chain project.....all these projects in the works....can't wait to see em....ryan

Bruce, Thanks a million for letting us in on your action mechanics! That is simple and very elegant. That one will be extra special because we can watch it grow up. Are you going to incluse a pic of the test firing when you're done?

-Page

The action is simple and should be trouble-free. Less moving parts the better for a front loader. It doesnt need a breech plug which simplified things too.
I want to have a local photographer shoot a video and print off a single image of flames coming out of the barrel. That would be cool.

bruce....i'm sure it's a miracle they made anything with the tools they had.....thanks for sharing...can't wait to see this one and don't forget about that bike chain project.....all these projects in the works....can't wait to see em....ryan

I know I have too many irons in fire. I am still working on the Vegas Special pistol/folder.

I have the powder for the Indian chain now.

I'm hoping that barrel will be charcoal blued with gold inlay in the ring around the muzzle.

It's a fascinating piece, I look forward to seeing it when it's done.

i wish i had a dagger that was an automatic....now that would be cool!.....ryan

I'm hoping that barrel will be charcoal blued with gold inlay in the ring around the muzzle.

It's a fascinating piece, I look forward to seeing it when it's done.

Thanks Harry! Thats exactly what its getting. Are you familiar with charcoal bluing process? Do you remember the Smith & Wesson blue color? I believe it was charcoal blue?

Thanks Harry! Thats exactly what its getting. Are you familiar with charcoal bluing process? Do you remember the Smith & Wesson blue color? I believe it was charcoal blue?

I've heard tell, but it's a Black Art much like perl programming.

Here's all the info I've found on it so far, but I'll continue to dig because I'd love to use it some day myself:

http://www.restoration-gunsmith.com/artblue.html

Nitre bluing will give you the same color and from what that article says it's a lot simpler. Those temps (750) sound scary though.

Oh - and don't encourage my ideas, cause I'd love to see you do one with a swamped damascus barrel... :p

Last edited:
Back