Pistol/dagger project

Hi Bruce,

There may be something in the water in Kansas. Most people think it is good to have a knife in one hand and a gun in the other. We Kansas boys know that sometimes, it is best to have them both in one hand. That way, your other hand is free to hold your beer!! :)

I was watching an extreme videos show a couple of weeks ago and they had some guys on there that were “Toilet Bowling”. They would set up ten commodes (complete with tanks), as you would bowling pins. They were using a bowling ball canon to shoot them down. They were doing a surprisingly good job of taking them all out with one shot. The chunks and shards from the toilets in the front would fan out and shatter the ones in the rear rows. Looked like a lot of fun, but would have been a real mess to clean up.

I would really like to get together with you. Maybe could catch up with you at a show some time.
hmmm guns, knives and beer at the same time, maybe i need to move to kansas

and hmm toilet bowling thats about on the coolness level of pumpkin chunkin
-matt

Yea, but with punkin' chunkin' there's not destruction to anything else than the pumpkins! :D

Yea, but with punkin' chunkin' there's not destruction to anything else than the pumpkins! :D

well lets just say that i almost got hit with a pumpkin from a cannon a few years back and the chair that got hit by us would like to argue with you :cool:

they do have a target day at PC where they put a buss out too

-matt

There may be something in the water in Kansas. Most people think it is good to have a knife in one hand and a gun in the other. We Kansas boys know that sometimes, it is best to have them both in one hand. That way, your other hand is free to hold your beer!! :)

:D When I was growing up there, it would've been 3.2 beer! I was too young or poor to have a gun but I'd have had a handful of knives. :)

Toilet bowl-ing sounds like a blast! I wouldn't be surprized if a bunch of people were willing to donate targets for next year's hammer in... And hey, the shards would make great material for flint knapping. ;)

:D When I was growing up there, it would've been 3.2 beer! I was too young or poor to have a gun but I'd have had a handful of knives. :)

Toilet bowl-ing sounds like a blast! I wouldn't be surprized if a bunch of people were willing to donate targets for next year's hammer in... And hey, the shards would make great material for flint knapping. ;)

Dave, You're from Kansas too? Its a small world.

I can imagine the shards scattered for 1/4 mile!:D

Yeah, it's a small world alright! Always a bit of a nostalgia rush when I hear of someone else who's lived someplace I have such interesting memories of... ;) I "grew up" in Liberal which is in the SW corner of the state. A few months ago I had an occasion to drive through there for the first time in probably 15 years -- and realized why I was in such a hurry to get out of there when I graduated high school. What a barren and ugly town! How I can have such pleasant memories of the place escapes me. :D But a lot of the best parts of my life happened there.

Bruce, I love your work, I go to your web site often to admire. I Love what you've done with this one and can't wait to see it engraved. Thanks for posting, Dwayne

The engraving job came back yesterday from Jere. He searched and found an original 1700 century design by French engraver, Jean Le Pautre. It looks very different from the scrolls we see now.

The same day the grips arrived from Blaine Barlow. He did a most excellent job on the checkering. He said ivory doesnt checker easy and charged accordingly.

Next comes the French Gray process, which I've never done before so I hope it goes well.
100_1835_edited.jpg

Now That's Incredible!!!! Oh that line has already been used. Looks like another best fixed blade at Blade West to me:D:thumbup::thumbup::D

Now That's Incredible!!!! Oh that line has already been used. Looks like another best fixed blade at Blade West to me:D:thumbup::thumbup::D

Thanks much Chuck
I hope I wont have it after the Montana Show. I need to make something for Blade West but theres no time for another Cut-N-Shoot. This summer is flying by.

good god almighty!.....it looks beyond great....could u describe what french greying is bruce.....i would assume it's similar to blueing.....are they similar....any major differences....ryan

good god almighty!.....it looks beyond great....could u describe what french greying is bruce.....i would assume it's similar to blueing.....are they similar....any major differences....ryan

Its a process that doesnt turn anything blue, instead it turns shiney metal grey. The parts have to be finished to the same very fine grit (in this case I'm going to 4000) and dipped in a weak solution of Nitric acid for a few seconds until they turn grey and quickly into boiling water/baking soda to neutralize the acid. While still hot they go into oil to lock out rust. Care must be taken forever to prevent rusting. I think thats why museum pieces are in such bad condition.

I'm nervous about it but bluing wouldnt look right on this one.

Bruce, Now you learned all this while being a prison guard and I thought it was all about getting the most out of your toothbrush. I can't imagine the tremendous amount of patience not to mention the skills that went into creating this Masterpiece. Just another bump on the log for you. Where's the picture on the final finished piece?

Bruce, Now you learned all this while being a prison guard and I thought it was all about getting the most out of your toothbrush. I can't imagine the tremendous amount of patience not to mention the skills that went into creating this Masterpiece. Just another bump on the log for you. Where's the picture on the final finished piece?

:D I learned all this from prisoners!
I want to have another picture taken after all is done. I have a walnut box being made for it too. Thanks Ray!

Bruce, that is just outstanding! When Ray called this a Masterpiece, he nailed it. I can't wait to see the final pictures. You've really inspired me - get ready for my dumb questions in a few months! :D

bruce...are the pices already finished to that high grit before they are engraved?....i would think sanding them now would ruin the engraving....thanks for the info....not like i'll ever have the skills to make one but it's still interesting learning about it....ryan

bruce...are the pices already finished to that high grit before they are engraved?....i would think sanding them now would ruin the engraving....thanks for the info....not like i'll ever have the skills to make one but it's still interesting learning about it....ryan

They are finished to 600 before engraving and afterward need to go up in grits. Some of the lines are fine enough to be sanded away if I were to go back below 600.

Thanks for the interest

Bruce,

Oh my gosh!!!

As Ray said, it is truly a masterpiece. I can't wait to see it finished.

-Mike-

Back