Pistol for first time owner?

I did this with my daughter when she turned 21. It was eye-opening that she actually found something that she DID NOT like with six of the 7 she tried. So back to the beginning ...... It's a very personal choice and no way to figure it out except to actually try them out.

You (like most people) would laugh at my choice of carry gun but if I have my pants on, I have my gun on. If it's not on you it isn't going to do you any good when you need it. The real bottom line is "will you carry it?"

You know, at a lot of indoor ranges, you can rent handguns to shoot there. What you like/dislike will be highly personal and you may choose something that the guy standing next to you would not choose in 100 years. Try different guns on the range (not just in your hand) and eventually you will start to get a better sense of what's best for you.

Normally, I'd suggest a Glock 21...But as a first pistol, the Glock 19 in 9mm is a great choice...Very little recoil, cheap ammo, and a simple "manual of arms"15780721_653862111405429_2670737320512282192_n.jpg ...

Are you going to carry it concealed? If so, weight. and size matter. If for range, and home defense, not so much, and for a first time pistol shooter, I'd recommend a full size or semi compact 9MM. I prefer the CZ-75 variants either all steel (75B, SP-01) , or with lightweight alloy frames like the PCR, or P-01. Nothing wrong with polymer either, the P-07, P-09, or the other offerings mentioned by S&W, Springfield, Sig, Beretta, Glock etc.

Get something that feels good in hand and learn to shoot it, then start thinking about carrying one... and I mean think about what it means to carry a lethal weapon for self defense and the consequences of pulling your blaster and using it.
If you do carry, I always recommend CCWsafe they help you legally in the aftermath of a shooting.
Freaks me out thinking about someone shooting under stress near one of my kids who can't shoot in normal conditions. Not saying that's going to be you, but they're out there...

Steyr S9-A1
H&K USP Compact 9mm
FN FNS 9 compact
Walther PPS 9

I got a Walther CCP and an S&W M&P 9mm with Factory night sights. Carried the Walther until I got the S&W, the Walther is a nice shooting gun at the range, but the S&W is my favorite of the two. It carries so well i sometimes forget it's even there!

Back