Pistol Holsters ?

I've been asked to make a simple Holster for a friend and I know nothing about Pistols .
I've spent most of my life shooting Rifles and Shotguns , but Pistols are things I've seldom spent time with .
I was wondering if any of you guys have made Holsters and if so I'd love to see them .
Horsewright , I know you do as I've seen a few pics here , do you have any more ?
Any advice or designs suggestions would be be greatly received .
I haven't seen the pistol yet but I believe it is a Ruger single action .22 magnum revolver that will be worn on his belt in a Farming environment so it isn't a concealed carry type situation .

Thanks

Ken

Sounds like a Single Six! If so its one of the easiest to find holster patterns for of the big dozen.

Even some of the older Stohlman books have Single Six patterns. Google it and you'll find a plethora of info and patterns.

That reminds me I still need to make one for my Fathers Single Six, his favorite. Honestly surprised he wasnt put to rest with it, he liked it that much. :D

Here ya go Ken:

trvzo46.jpg

My Rangeflap holster. Here for a 2" Smith revolver. Very popular around here as snake guns. Cool thing about the Rangeflap holster is it is not gun specific. It works off of frame size.

hmHQbqQ.jpg

Another Rangeflap, roughout this time. This holster is fully lined and the belt arrangement on back is the same as my Slot and Loop sheath. The holster can be worn strongside or weakside crossdraw.

4KENXhY.jpg

All these fit the same holster including bottom right a Single Six with aftermarket target grips.

Slide holster. This can be done with or without the retention strap.

AxsQzrh.jpg

1911 Open Top can really be made for any gun. I just call it a 1911 holster.

e15g8n7.jpg

An earlier 1911 holster with the retention strap. If ya compare the two 1911 pics ya see I've extended the rear tab for the belt slot about an inch. This allows the holster to lie flatter against the body. Both of these holsters are owned by the same guy. He says he much prefers the open top without the retention strap.

84VGOw1.jpg

These two had their own thread a while back. California Slim Jim holsters, can be worn strongside or crossdraw too.

W2Dq4HZ.jpg

Last edited:
Some thoughts on holster design and carry Ken. The gun must be kept safe, secure and protected, yet accessible. The holster must be comfortable to carry. The reason we carry handguns is because they are easier to carry than a longun so from a design standpoint that needs to be kept in mind. Comfort will become paramount to most end users, spread the weight out. For your friend farming I would think that a pancake style holster similar to my 1911s or a flapped holster would be ideal. Depending on the terrain and country type would be how I would choose. The pancake style holsters spread the wieght out very well and hold the gun in very tight against the body. When you're working its not banging into stuff all the time. I prefer a little higher rise so that its more under your arm, but there is a blance point that must be observed. You can't go too high in relationship to the belt or the holster wants to tip over. Flapped holsters have been used since there's been holsters. If its rough, (bouncing around on a quad, horse or truck), brush type country, or very dusty, a flapped holster may be the way to go. I've customers along our very porous southern border where literally the kids don't go out to shoot baskets before dinner without their Glocks. In that rough, dusty, very brushy country the flapped holster provides the protection to the handgun that is needed. I've sold a lot of my Rangeflap holsters to folks in TX, New Mexico and Arizona that ranch along the border. If there are any specific questions don't hesitate. I'm always inmpressed with the simple elegance of your designs and am waiting to see what you come up with.

Last edited:
Wow lots of information and cool pictures. Really curious what harronek is going to make of it. The guy with the 1911 holster is carrying the gun pre cocked, relying only on the grip safety?!

Outstanding info here agreed!

Possum, with a 1911 (my all time favorite btw) its called "cocked and locked" safety is on, hammer cocked.

Those Rangeflap holsters look great, but that leather strap seems cumbersome and slows down your draw speed.

Wouldn't a simple snap closure be much more speedy when it comes time to draw?

You could even space the buttons apart just like the holes in your strap for different sized firearms.

Thanks Dave :thumbup:

What are your thought on angle - cant of the holster .
If it's worn on or just behind your hip is it best to tilt the whole holster slightly forward rather than have vertical ?
It looks like those 1911 holsters are canted forward , but the flap ones seem vertical , is that the case or an illusion of the photos ?
At the moment I'm leaning towards a flap holster , the more protection the better and quick draw isn't required .
On that early 1911 with the retention strap , how does that strap work ? Is it a snap fastener ?

If anyone else has suggestions please post them up .

Ken

Well you could always go for those pull buttons mentioned in another thread. Ease of access of a snap and reliable hold.

Vilepossum That is the normal way of carrying a 1911, cocked and locked. If you look at the cellphone, toothpick, sheath combo thread you'll see that uber cool Wilson 1911 in the same condition. So besides the grip safety you also have the thumb safety which must be disengaged to fire as well. I kinda think of a 1911 as a "handgunners" handgun not the gun for everday Joe. Not because they are dangerous to carry this way as they are not. But because it takes practiced training to use one well, to articulate the safeties. My friend in the pics has put in the time and effort, he is trained up. I have shot with him many times out at our little range at the ranch. Besides if we had a current pic those holsters would be hanging from that flower carved belt that Nichole just did a short time back. Got two more belts for him (basket stamped, one black and one oiled) that just need the edges finished up. They'll be finished today.

HeefageLA the buckle doesn't slow down the draw. If a faster draw is needed only thread the top of the buckle with the strap. Pull up on the strap with your fingers, hook the thumb under the flap and raise up grasping the butt as you do so and the gun is in your hand. Faster than typing it out for sure. Like this pic. This is an early prototype and was made just for saddle carry.

YbaIm2I.jpg

I have made many with Sam Browne studs but the problem here is that it limits the holster to the amount of guns it will securely carry. For instance this one pictured below will only fit this Tokarov. From a makers standpoint it also has its problems. What if the customer has different grips than your model? The last few I did for customers I sent them the strap with the hole precut and the rivet and instructions on how to install the rivet so that th ae strap was right. I no longer offer the stud as an option. Buckle only. I really don't like snaps. And for the perceived use of this holster (riding in very rough country) I don't trust them. Ken I made this one to have the butt cant towards the rear. I've had others canted forward where the holster would rub on the cantle (back of the seat) of my saddle. This works better for this app.

Jdu4kjp.jpg

On my flap holsters the cant can be adjusted through the loop placement on the backside of the holster. For more adjustment you can make the slot 2.75" instead of 2" and I use a 5" strap for the loop. Then the end user can adjust the cant for what is comfortable for them. Here is a pic of a friend with her Rangeflap for her Ruger Bearcat carried crossdraw. Same holster carried on the strongside can be carried straight up or down or slightly forward or to the rear as desired.

dTJdDe5.jpg

This shot shows the belt arrangement that allows that.

lfHUuHo.jpg

That loop can be riveted on up or down for different applications. Most of the time I will have the top of the loop even with the top of the slot.

So I believe that cant of the holster becomes a personal thing, its what is comfortable for the end user. This arrangement on the flap holster does provide some adjustability.

Those 1911 holsters do cant forward some. But they are for a different purpose, not horseback so much. I have made many Rangeflap holsters for 1911s too for those that do want to carry that gun horseback.

Ken the early 1911 holster with the strap, thats called a "breaktop' holster. Yes it does work off a snap. The snap is opened by pushing straight down with the thumb when grasping the butt for the draw. Here is the front and backside of one I made for a Ruger GP101 in .327 mag.

N3huLrW.jpg

8pkUx92.jpg

The thumb tab for the snap is two layers of leather skived to zero at the bottom. This is necessary to provide the stiffness required to draw the gun as described. On the strap that comes over the hammer there is a light piece of chap leather sewn on to cover the back of the snap and protect the guns finish

Last edited:
Ken,

Primarily all I make is handgun related gear, the rest is small fry comparatively. You ask ten makers a question and you'll get 10 different answers.

On my gear I make most of it for concealment so fit is important, both gun in holster and holster to belt. Retention of the holster itself usually negates any need for an additional retention device. This simple pancake design features a forward "FBI Can't" which equates to anywhere between 15-25* forward depending who you ask. I have a custom die made for belt slots but a punch and chisel/knife can achieve the same results.

Holster style is most easily accessed by what the customer wants, what his intended use is, and how much he wants to pay you for it. This is an example of a modified Bruce Nelson Professional pattern for a 5" 1911. The customer needs a holster that puts the belt behind the slide. Due to body type a pancake sucks the gun in too tight for him to draw from the holster.

If your feeling really brave a little elephant makes a really nice wearing rig. This is an example of a modified pancake pattern, the smooth front keeps your cover garment from snagging/binding and increasing printing.

My preferred method of construction also uses two laminated layers of veg tan. Smooth interior gives a good draw, better fit than an equivalent single, and it's easier to maintain without gathering trash like some materials. Stay away from non veg tan leathers as the salts can react with your customers gun and leave you with mud on your face. Some customers get overly aggressive on special linings to negate wear. The #1 thing to decrease wear is a proper fit. Movement in the 'pocket' will wear on a guns finish.

Al Stohlman has a book 'How to Make Holsters' that, for roughly $25, will give you a better fundamental understanding of not just what your doing but why your doing it.

If it is a single six there are a lot of options - one of the most popular I offer is the basic Tom Threespersons' design. This one is riding on a belt with web loops so you can leave them loaded without corrosion.

Good luck!

Beautiful work Eagle!! I love gun leather. Ken I was gonna mention a Bluegun like Eagle showed. If you're gonna make holsters they are invaluable. Made in just about every model there is, relatively inexpensive they darn near pay for rhwmselves on the first holster a guy makes.

I've got a few more but I'd like to see some others too!

sjF4cpE.jpg

Detail shot on the tooling on a 1911 holster.

auHYIcc.jpg

One of my own personal holsters. And wearing the same holster and gun out at the ranch. My partner and I had gone to fix fence but couldn't find the horses. A neighbor had told us where a dead tree had blown down and landed on the fence. Fortunatly we were able to drive to it and got er fixed. On the way back found this old dead oak with this big burl. I was wondering if there were any knife any handles in there.

qs6Fqh9.jpg

My brother and I were bored one Thanksgiving morning. Dinner wasn't till later. I'd already sharpened all the kitchen knives the cooks were gonna need. So we went out to the ranch to see how bulletproof micarta really is.

YsvKQKv.jpg

All shooting was at 10 yards. It did stop the 12 ga with bird shot and a 3/8" piece would stop a .22 (1/4" piece didn't). All other rounds would penetrate easily but took multiple hits to blow out chunks of the micarta such as in the piece under the 1911. Valuable scientific info here.

Last edited:
That stamp detail shot is awesome Dave!

A micarta vest would be pretty cool, but I wonder if kevlar isn't cheaper. :)

I'd like to see how g10 and cf fair too.

Dave, anytime I see a well executed carlos border like that I get all hot under the collar. Still can't work a swivel to save my life so stamps will have to keep me entertained.

Here's one I grab more often than most. Wears well over a jacket during hunting season.

This is still my most popular for the wheel guns. I'm a fan of it myself too.

First off Id like to say " Wow " about everything you showed in your post .
But if I can sidetrack this thread for a brief moment , I'd like to ask about your pipe .
Is it leather covered ?
If so I've never seen that done before .
I'm a pipe smoker myself and that pipe in combination with that fantastic leather work has made my day .

Ken

First off Id like to say " Wow " about everything you showed in your post .
But if I can sidetrack this thread for a brief moment , I'd like to ask about your pipe .
Is it leather covered ?
If so I've never seen that done before .
I'm a pipe smoker myself and that pipe in combination with that fantastic leather work has made my day .

Ken

Ken, thanks for the kind words. I can't say any more about the pipe other than yes it is leather covered, your not the first to comment on it specifically, and I have no details of it other than that. It belonged to my wife's late grandfather and lives with his grandson. Try and borrow different things for props when the event calls for such a thing.

Back