Pistol Holsters ?

Bflying thats a cool idea. Have you had any problems with the non sewn edge separating over long use? Does the piece of lambskin cover the whole back piece of the holster?

Thought I would show you guys this oddball. This is my second holster, a friend wanted a classic safari style flap holster with a flap that could be rolled to the side exposing a modern self retaining speed holster. The inner is molded horse hide, the rest is 9oz Herman Oak. I pretty much had to invent it as I went, lots of trial and error. The final flap has a reinforced pivot and a secondary strap to hold it up. After unsnapping you roll it to the side and there is a hidden snap inside to re-secure it. where the flap is cutout around the back strap there is an extra layer of horse hide. and the belt mount on the back is open on the grip end to allow either a 105deg cross draw or a straight up and down right hand draw. There is also a matching belt and knife sheath that I didn't get pics of. Finally, this is the first carving I have tried, still have a long way to go. hope you guys like it.
brett%20holster%201_zpsagw0chfn.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
brett%20holster%202_zps1ignve3r.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
brett%20holster%203_zpsq0x6nxar.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

rtmindvery nice work. Nice job on the carving on the flap. Interesting design.

That is a sweet holster and revolver!!

I was given an old saddle by my daughter. This thing has sat outside as decoration a few years. Leather is still in decent shape. Would it be possible to make a holster from the flap part above the stirups? Wouldnt think there would be any salt left in the leather. Any thoughts? Thanks

The flap part above the stirrup is called the fender.

3QoqyNF.jpg

Chances are the stirrup leathers (the long straps here on top of the fenders in this shot of my saddle) are on the other side of the fender on your saddle. You should be able to cut front and back for a small pancake type holster from each fender but I cringe.

Dave, is that a 'guide gun' peeking out from your nice scabbard? That 100% rough out rig is fantastic as well. I'm a fan of all things Marlin and own more than a couple. My '95GS is the 'go to' though.

Bflying thats a cool idea. Have you had any problems with the non sewn edge separating over long use? Does the piece of lambskin cover the whole back piece of the holster?

I have not had any problems with separation on my EDC, and it's had some pretty good use. The only thing I see is a little bit of scuffing from multiple draws. My gun gets pulled around 3-6 times per day for different things....potty breaks, lunchtime lounging at home, evening loung, etc. But it's nothing a little sharpie wouldn't fix. I do place over the entire back piece. Then also glue down the front to it everywhere it will be connected/sewn. If I started to see any separation, it would be easy to just stitch the top side, but haven't needed to yet. The few friends I've made holsters for have not mentioned any problems either, but I doubt theirs gets anywhere close to the workout I give my own.

I also have not found a need to do a reinforcement piece on the front either. I've started to use a small amount of heat toward the end of wet mold drying to help with stiffness. So I'm still getting some really great retention.

Last edited:
Thanks Horsewright, Larson and WEB2. This has been my most ambitious project to date. Was fun trying to work out the details, and my buddy is thrilled, which makes it even better. Rtmind

WEB2 I'd just hate to cut up a saddle. I'd made my living for a long time in one and they are important to me almost kinda a sacred thing. Got a 150 year old one up on a shelf in the kitchen. Just hate to cut one up.

Yeah Eagle, Guide Gun in .45-70. Fixing fence in the way back up high places where the BIG hogs, BIG bears and Big kitties live:

4yQThsn.jpg

Nichole has my back with the Marlin while I'm down fixing fence.

zrcF6hh.jpg

No not really, I was adjusting my saddle after a steep climb and she was just holding the rifle for me but the other is a better story!

Last edited:
Dave,
That looks like a fine piece of property you have there.:thumb up: I really like your leather work as well as the other great work posted in this thread.

Well there's your problem Dave. Don't use fence posts big enough to fall on your fence! :D

Chris

WEB2 I'd just hate to cut up a saddle. I'd made my living for a long time in one and they are important to me almost kinda a sacred thing. Got a 150 year old one up on a shelf in the kitchen. Just hate to cut one up.

Ah! Well, this one was way beyond repair. The fork(swell type) was broken. I even thought of trying to repair all of it, but i could get a lot better used one for less money. So i removed the fenders and now my two young daughters(4 and 6) use it to "ride the range"

Chris that fence is well over a 100 years old. That old dead tree was probably only a youngster when it was built. The wires there are about 5 to 6 inches into the trunk. Web2 that sounds like the best use perhaps.

Here's a couple I'm working on right now.

00PH8BO.jpg

Anthony was here Fri and I'd been saving these to do while he was here. However, we had some unexpected friends/customers from England stop by and so we just didn't get to do everything we wanted too. I didn't start these until after Anthony had to leave.

f7SxTOf.jpg

I cut them out first and adjust the pattern to fit the gun requested. Do any tooling requested then make the straps and attach the hardware, basically get them ready to have the lining attached. Buckles to put on yet.

JYO4nOR.jpg

Buckles on and then a couple of coats of warm neatsfoot oil. Ready to cut and glue in the lining.

7CEeLLL.jpg

Marking the linig. One of these holsters is a lefty, ya got to remember such things. I've found putting the object face down and then drawing around the linig helps keep leftys with leftys and righties with righties. That way I don't cut a left hand lining for a right hand holster etc. Have done.

Linig glued in looks like I got em right.

c73Lsgk.jpg

Got to rember to work your wrinkles out when lining. This holster is a little tough cause you have the bend of the holster itself and then the other bend of the flap coming down.

Lining sewn in now. Nichole was sewing in the lining on these spur straps she was making for herself so I had her sew the linings on the holsters too. Now just trim the lining, edge the edges you can't do later, (basically whats stitched now), fold em in half and stitch. Do that common edge, apply finish and they are done.

KmdNv92.jpg

Last edited:
This thread gets better all the time! Thanks all for sharing and taking time to post photos!

All done with the two above.

EaUSFyi.jpg

The lefty for a local guy with his .357 Blackhawk:

a2Kdzj2.jpg

This one is for a Buckmark:

x0z2cIA.jpg

Back