• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Pitfalls of Western Union as payment?

I'm contemplating a foreign transaction where the buyer wants to do a telegraphic payment. What are the pitfalls, and fees associated with doing this?

I'll do a separate thread on the buyer.

Thanks,

Gene

nothing against WU the business itself, the problem is it's just throwing cash across the ocean without potential for recourse if bad things happen. that's why it's used all the time in scams.

in your situation, RECEIVING western union is certainly a totally different beast then SENDING western union (which i'd never do), but still be cautious. make sure you're not giving a bank account out, etc. i'm with revdevil above.

Don't do it. Read some of the forum sub catagories here on BF. Once you send the money....it's gone. Unless of course it's someone very well known here with a track record of using WU. And I would still check out his references also from members here that are well established.

Are you pitching or catching? ;-)
Western Union is very expensive and you have to go to their location. I will not use Western Union for anything.
If you're dealing with anyone within the European Union, do a direct bank transfer. If they're sending you funds they should be able to do it online. If you're sending money, then the person hould have a bank account you can send funds to, if not, that's a warning sign right there...

If you are receiving the money there should be no problems. Go to western union office and collect the $$$$ You can usually collect it at your grocery store.
If you are sending the money it is like sending money through paypal as a gift. No recourse if you don't get what you paid for.

I used it a few times before PayPal and never had a problem. There are fees though but then there are fees involved for every international financial transaction. Its a fair bit more hassle than PayPal though because you have to go to the office, fill out forms etc.

I buy a $.59 cent WU MO at the local mimi-mart and never had a problem.

Back