Pivot knife: Are both sides supposed to be sharp?

I received a nice pivot knife from Delta-Z last week, and one side isn't sharpened.

Is this the way it's supposed to be? Pardon if this is a dumb question, but I'm not used to seeing a blade where both sides aren't ground.

Thanks,

Mark

Mark,

Nothing wrong with your 360 Pivot knife. I have 2 ground on one side only, with 3 more on the way. I'm sure that's the way they're supposed to be - a chisel grind. On a knife like this, it serves its purpose and also keeps the cost down. Barnaby @ Delta Z is great in fielding any questions so you'll probably hear from him soon.

There are several reasons for choosing a chisel grind... which I'm not going to give a lesson here. In terms of the Pivot, it was NOT for cost, irrelevant on a knife of this value. It was for safety primarily (how it nests in the handle), and how that effects the look as well when the knife is in the closed position.

Good question :)

Well, thanks for the responses so far. I do appreciate it.

Certainly don't expect a tutorial from anyone on the point of a chisel grind. Can someone at least point to a FAQ or webpage that discusses such stuff?

Thanks again,

Mark

Mark, if you look up at the very top line of any Bladeforums.com page, you will see TUTORIALS/FAQ. I recommend you check out these Frequently Asked Questions, especially this information on blades by Joe Talmadge. It will answer your question about the chisel grind, and other questions you haven't thought of yet.

Always read anything by Joe Talmadge! :)

Back