1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Pivot knife: Are both sides supposed to be sharp?

Discussion in 'Delta-Z Knives' started by Mark_E_Wallace, Feb 20, 2003.

1. Mark_E_Wallace

Mark_E_Wallace

Jan 13, 2003
    I received a nice pivot knife from Delta-Z last week, and one side isn't sharpened.

Is this the way it's supposed to be? Pardon if this is a dumb question, but I'm not used to seeing a blade where both sides aren't ground.

Thanks,

Mark

2. Clydetz

Clydetz

Dec 1, 2001
    Mark,

Nothing wrong with your 360 Pivot knife. I have 2 ground on one side only, with 3 more on the way. I'm sure that's the way they're supposed to be - a chisel grind. On a knife like this, it serves its purpose and also keeps the cost down. Barnaby @ Delta Z is great in fielding any questions so you'll probably hear from him soon.

3. Mark_E_Wallace

Mark_E_Wallace

Jan 13, 2003
    I just don't know knives very well. What's the intent in having just one side ground?

4. BarnZ

BarnZ

Aug 2, 1999
    There are several reasons for choosing a chisel grind... which I'm not going to give a lesson here. In terms of the Pivot, it was NOT for cost, irrelevant on a knife of this value. It was for safety primarily (how it nests in the handle), and how that effects the look as well when the knife is in the closed position.

Good question :)

5. Mark_E_Wallace

Mark_E_Wallace

Jan 13, 2003
    Well, thanks for the responses so far. I do appreciate it.

Certainly don't expect a tutorial from anyone on the point of a chisel grind. Can someone at least point to a FAQ or webpage that discusses such stuff?

Thanks again,

Mark

6. Esav Benyamin

Esav Benyamin MidniteSuperMod

Apr 6, 2000
    Mark, if you look up at the very top line of any Bladeforums.com page, you will see TUTORIALS/FAQ. I recommend you check out these Frequently Asked Questions, especially this information on blades by Joe Talmadge. It will answer your question about the chisel grind, and other questions you haven't thought of yet.

Always read anything by Joe Talmadge! :)

7. z17813

z17813

May 21, 2002