Pivot question.

I'm curious. On the models Military and Endura you have a male screw going into a female nut side. On models like the PM 2 and the Manix 2 you have a male screw on both sides screwing into a female bushing in the middle. My questions are.....Which is stronger? Which is more durable? Which is more longer lasting? Are they equal to each other? I guess this is an engineering question, and I'm curious if one is better in any way than the other. Thanks in advance for the help.

I'm curious. On the models Military and Endura you have a male screw going into a female nut side. On models like the PM 2 and the Manix 2 you have a male screw on both sides screwing into a female bushing in the middle. My questions are.....Which is stronger? Which is more durable? Which is more longer lasting? Are they equal to each other? I guess this is an engineering question, and I'm curious if one is better in any way than the other. Thanks in advance for the help.
When I was active and still doing work on them to repair or replace parts for folks at times, mostly on knives modified in some way but not always I can say I never saw one of the one side pivots break on the non screw side.

When I've seen pivots fail it was most always one of like three or four things. A cheesy screw and pivot was used in the knife meaning it's not the best steel at all and probably wasn't the best model you could own of their line up. Or it was faulty as in the screw side had a hair line crack or the pivot barrel itself did and wasn't noted except under duress so even with locktite it would work it's way out and you lost the screw. In some events some muscle bound types would twist off the head and simply break it that way which believe it or not is the easiest way to do it. You need only make it snug and a dab of blue loctite on the threads to work and just leave it sit for a day and then carry. When pivots were faulty it was most always the screw side at least on the good ones.

Back