Pix and Six Blems for 5/22

Awesome! Glad to see someone got that Gelbu. It is nicely shaped and fullered! That should make a very fine blade and well as the Chainpure. Great set! Two at a time:thumbup:

I've got two hands and I'm greedy :D
But seriously, I gotta admit I'm excited.
The first of many i hope.

Ive just ordered the remaining Chainpura and Gelbu special. and looking forward to checking out some HI steel.

You've done quite well in your first purchase. My first is a Chainpuri and my favorite is the Gelbu Special, with the Baby Ganga Ram Special right behind it. I'm sure they will be followed by a great variety of their kin. HIKV continues to infect. Enjoy your new khuks after you've read the Safety thread. I'm real glad for you.

Thanks Stickfred. The Gelbu Special sounds like a good slicer and a must have in any collection.
I've got no idea about the Chainpuri though. There doesn't seem to be a lot of info on them.

Thanks Stickfred. The Gelbu Special sounds like a good slicer and a must have in any collection.
I've got no idea about the Chainpuri though. There doesn't seem to be a lot of info on them.

The Gelbu (aka Udaipuri) is somewhat similar in form to the Chainpuri. They are both "slender" in the khuk world, lacking the widening of the blade toward the business end. The Chainpuri was the first style I wanted and by some great luck one showed up on DOTD shortly after checking this Forum out. The Gelbu Special, although appearing similar in overall form to the Chainpuri, should have a thick spine and a fuller along the top. The Gelbu came about when some kamis at Shop 2 had heard of Ganga Ram's claim that he could make a "magical" khukuri and they told Yangdu's brother Gelbu that they could also make a "magical" khukuri. The rest is history.

Yangdu's father Pala felt that the Gelbu was the perfect balance between tool and weapon. I was surprised that the Gelbu chopped almost as well as a CAK that weighed 6oz. more. Both my Chainpuri and Gelbu were made by (Old)Sher who was famous for overbuilding everything. As a result, my Chainpuri weighs more than 1.5oz. than my Gelbu. Perhaps that's why I affectionately call it "Whisker".

Perhaps the similarity between the Chainpuri and Chitlangi is one reason there isn't much info on the out there. The Chitlangi's handle butt is highly decorated with brass, the Chainpuri has a standard keeper. Otherwise the blades are very similar. The Chainpuri seems to go through periods of production drought. After I got mine, I don't think I saw one for years. I think it gets shoved aside by Special Products brought out and the beefier "Chopmasters", Bonecutters and "Zombie-killers". But it is a classic style khuk and eventually rolls back around. Although I have a variety of khuk styles, I find that I have a greater affinity for the more slender styles.

There I go...blah, blah, blah. But I know you are sure to be more than pleased with your new arrivals. Find some trimmed limbs (about 2.5-3" in diameter) if you can find them and go to town on them with both khuks. It'll be a good test for the blades and give you a feel for both of them. And, of course, pics and a review after.

Thanks again. Thats what I was after, an allrounder, best of both worlds.
Much appreciated.
Pics and review coming for sure.

Back